The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PJ07
Congratulations! what did you apply for?

Thank you :smile: I applied for Central Departments.
Had FSAC on Monday (9th). Today had a message of CD Pass and DS Awaiting Results. Does this mean I have a place secured at CD? Sorry this sounds obvious but am in a state of disbelief at the moment!
This may have already been addressed, but does anyone know if any support is available with relocating every 6/8 months and if there is some sort of platform for fast streamers to get to know each other?
Original post by SolomonBurke
Had FSAC on Monday (9th). Today had a message of CD Pass and DS Awaiting Results. Does this mean I have a place secured at CD? Sorry this sounds obvious but am in a state of disbelief at the moment!

yes
Original post by Tas321
This may have already been addressed, but does anyone know if any support is available with relocating every 6/8 months and if there is some sort of platform for fast streamers to get to know each other?

There is financial support, and networking through Facebook/Google as well (amongst other things).
Reply 2145
Original post by GManTheGMan
There is financial support, and networking through Facebook/Google as well (amongst other things).

Is there anywhere that provides information on the Financial assistance available GMan? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2146
Any thinking or info on when the next band narrowing is going to be for DS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PJ07
Is there anywhere that provides information on the Financial assistance available GMan? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure how much is publicly disclosable (I'll check) but from the point of view of someone moving across country right now, it is very helpful.
Reply 2148
I'm not sure how much is publicly disclosable (I'll check) but from the point of view of someone moving across country right now, it is very helpful.

Thanks, appreciate you checking. Two quick follow ups - if it's not publically disclosable - is it guaranteed if you have to relocate during the Faststream and is it available if you have to move to take up your initial post. I only ask because I'll probably be moving from Belfast to London (my preference if available).
Working on the premise that it's very unlikely contracts will change from one year to the next, my answer would be:

a) you should receive assistance to move as long as travelling from your current location to your new office would be unreasonable (which is something like a 90 minute journey or more) and b) you can get assistance for your first post, but not in advance (and not to help pay for a deposit).

I moved from one side of Scotland to the other to take up my first post and received assistance.
Working on the premise that it's very unlikely contracts will change from one year to the next, my answer would be:

a) you should receive assistance to move as long as travelling from your current location to your new office would be unreasonable (which is something like a 90 minute journey or more) and b) you can get assistance for your first post, but not in advance (and not to help pay for a deposit).

I moved from one side of Scotland to the other to take up my first post and received assistance.

Do you only get assistance for your first post?

If I was not required to relocate during my first post, but was during my second or third, would the same assistance be available?
Reply 2151

Cheers GMan, thanks for the information. It's good to know this is available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone on an analytical stream had any information about their salary?

I've been contacted by my department but had no information as of yet.

Also, am I right in thinking all salaries are within the £25-27k band?
I'm on the analytical stream, due to start in March. Salary is above the 27k mark that I was anticipating! Didn't get any relocation assistance however and I am moving 250 miles...
Original post by midas85
I'm on the analytical stream, due to start in March. Salary is above the 27k mark that I was anticipating! Didn't get any relocation assistance however and I am moving 250 miles...

Hi, which analytical stream are you?
Hi, I actually can't believe that this hasn't been asked but have searched the thread and found nothing!

I have FSAC next week and live in Hertfordshire. I was planning to take the train in which means an alarm of about 5am (eek!) and had just assumed that they wouldn't cover my expenses as I'm actually within the M25.

Does anyone know if there's a cut-off distance from where the will or won't pay overnight expenses..? I would REALLY like to take the stress out of the journey by staying (as my local train line is truly rubbish, especially at peak-times) but I'm sure if they'll laugh at me if I submit expenses! I can't really afford the hotel without help..

Have any Londoners (or close enough) had their overnight expenses approved?

Original post by kat.lev
Hi, I actually can't believe that this hasn't been asked but have searched the thread and found nothing!

I have FSAC next week and live in Hertfordshire. I was planning to take the train in which means an alarm of about 5am (eek!) and had just assumed that they wouldn't cover my expenses as I'm actually within the M25.

Does anyone know if there's a cut-off distance from where the will or won't pay overnight expenses..? I would REALLY like to take the stress out of the journey by staying (as my local train line is truly rubbish, especially at peak-times) but I'm sure if they'll laugh at me if I submit expenses! I can't really afford the hotel without help..

I don't think there are any restrictions based on where you live. Everyone is entitled to £120 to go towards hotel stay, breakfast and an evening meal, and then the price of train tickets (or buses I guess) on top of that. You can find all this in the expenses policy information on the website.

(I'm amazed at how few people seem to be taking advantage of this. It's a great deal. The best hotel to go for is probably one of the nearby Premier Inns across the river, which left me about £20 for a hearty meal the night before.)
Original post by TritonSails
I don't think there are any restrictions based on where you live. Everyone is entitled to £120 to go towards hotel stay, breakfast and an evening meal, and then the price of train tickets (or buses I guess) on top of that. You can find all this in the expenses policy information on the website.

(I'm amazed at how few people seem to be taking advantage of this. It's a great deal. The best hotel to go for is probably one of the nearby Premier Inns across the river, which left me about £20 for a hearty meal the night before.)

Thanks for such a quick reply!

In the FASC booklet, it does state that they pay for 'unavoidable' stays, mine is definitely not unavoidable! The policy also doesn't list any minimum distance or journey so I wasn't quite sure..

But yes, walking in the morning seems 1000x better than a packed commuter train..!

Thanks for your help :smile:

PS I'll be sure to confirm againonce I've had my FSAC and submitted my expenses..!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kat.lev
Thanks for such a quick reply!

In the FASC booklet, it does state that they pay for 'unavoidable' stays, mine is definitely not unavoidable! The policy also doesn't list any minimum distance or journey so I wasn't quite sure..

But yes, walking in the morning seems 1000x better than a packed commuter train..!

Thanks for your help :smile:

PS I'll be sure to confirm againonce I've had my FSAC and submitted my expenses..!

Oh I didn't catch that. I reckon avoiding a 5 AM start is still reasonable. Maybe it'd be best to ask them. FWIW I successfully claimed expenses from Cambridge, which is a 1hr train to King's Cross.
Original post by kat.lev

I'm not inside the M25 but only 30 min on the train into central London and I have had my overnight expenses approved. I must admit when I read that thing about 'unavoidable' expenses I was a bit apprehensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending