The Student Room Group

GCSE English Language

How can i go from a C to an A in English? My target is an A. I'm struggling with English, i revised for the mock and got a D. Its kinda embarrassing because this year my English is alot worse. I've got all B's in my coursework so far and i'm redoing a couple to get it to an A. Does anyone have any tips for revising english? thanks
Original post by izzz98
How can i go from a C to an A in English? My target is an A. I'm struggling with English, i revised for the mock and got a D. Its kinda embarrassing because this year my English is alot worse. I've got all B's in my coursework so far and i'm redoing a couple to get it to an A. Does anyone have any tips for revising english? thanks

I would say, as I'm sure many others would, that English language is one of the harder subjects to revise for :frown:. I would suggest perhaps reading more non-fiction (travel writing, articles etc) to try and better understand the motives behind the language used, the way the writers' portray thoughts/feelings or opinions, which in turn could help your own written pieces for the second section. This way, by understanding their techniques - particularly for descriptive or persuasive writing - you can apply them to your own work. :smile:
Past papers should help, too. :^_^:
Reply 2
Original post by pursuedbyabear
I would say, as I'm sure many others would, that English language is one of the harder subjects to revise for :frown:. I would suggest perhaps reading more non-fiction (travel writing, articles etc) to try and better understand the motives behind the language used, the way the writers' portray thoughts/feelings or opinions, which in turn could help your own written pieces for the second section. This way, by understanding their techniques - particularly for descriptive or persuasive writing - you can apply them to your own work. :smile:Past papers should help, too. :^_^:
So like i start reading newspaper articles and stuff like that. You've been helpful thankyou
Original post by izzz98

Which parts of English are you struggling on? If you identify which part is your weakest, then you can target your revision accordingly. Is it the analysing of unseen texts or is it the creative writing/other that you find hard?

What I find helps is looking at websites such as sparknotes as well as any notes I've made and making summaries for everything eg. anthology texts etc.
And collating specific terminology such as personification etc and making sure I can identify it.

Also, read. read. read. It helps a lot! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by izzz98

You should watch Mr Bruff on youtube
Mocks are there for failing so don't become discouraged! I was getting consistent D's in my history mock (I know the subject is irrelevant) then got an A in the real thing. I also was able to get an A in english language so can help you out there! Something I would say helped me out was by reading more, not saying that you don't read, but by reading you expand your vocabulary and get familiar on text types and structures etc. Usually the exam analyses articles and books and then a creative writing part. Develop your understanding for A02 (language, form and structure) and how you are able to select these specific techniques and the effects. Another valuable revision tool is practicing by using random articles and even practicing writing in the same form. When writing think about your audience and the question at hand. If you have any specific questions or need any help just message me!

Good Luck! :smile:
Hi I was wondering if it was possible for me to get an A* in English language,if my coursework is an A (which is worth 40%) and I get an A* in the exam (worth 60%)

Quick Reply

Latest