The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Dude, it's the internet mate, don't take it so seriously. We're all having a bit of bants.

Pretty crummy version of banter, I'd say. This is maybe not an easy subject to treat lightheartedly? Anyway, at least now I know this is only tongue in cheek, I flippin' hope it is anyway.
Dude, it's the internet mate, don't take it so seriously. We're all having a bit of bants.

Original post by frankieboy
Pretty crummy version of banter, I'd say. This is maybe not an easy subject to treat lightheartedly? Anyway, at least now I know this is only tongue in cheek, I flippin' hope it is anyway.

[video="youtube;m8L7Sm7PENU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8L7Sm7PENU[/video]
Original post by TheGuyReturns
[video="youtube;m8L7Sm7PENU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8L7Sm7PENU[/video]

First class :tehpartridge:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Imperion
Hmm, I find it a quite sound strategy. Typically this is a 'worth the wait' scenario. After all, you will a piece of everything humans have argued time and time again, happiness and wealth.

Having a rubbish home life is something to put this down, no point really in coming home and no one's going to smile at your effort.

I think there is a scale to it. I think there is a "yeah, I am going to work a stressfull job then dial it back later on" or even do something else later on, but I think you've got to have some enjoyment or you will probably produce fairly poor work and it'll be a long, long wait. If someone finds investment banking really stressful, but gets a buzz from the hard work, then it may be worth it. If someone is hoping their car will crash in the morning cus they hate their job so much, it clearly isn't
How much and where do I sign up. Even so, this is irrelevant, anyone could feasibly do this out of desperation, I'm not desperate.

Just in example I'm using relative to the usually rigorous environment of the well paid professions.

Despite what people say it's a much easier lifestyle than those 18 hour days in the office working on multi-million pound deals.

If you enjoy something and work hard at it even if teaching it doesn't make you lazy.
Reply 265
I really find it hard to understand why people go for low paid jobs when they seem to have the intellectual capability to aim for industries which are relatively well-paid.

I see students who have the credentials and the profile potential to enter industries such as law, investment banking being etc.. but instead choose to go into places such as teaching. Are they just lazy?

So if you do intend to get out of bed for a job that pays less than £50k a year and you're smart (i.e flawless grades/credible uni/strong ECs), why? what's your motivation?

inb4, "it's my passion".

OP read this:-

http://www.reddit.com/comments/2livoo/

What's the sample space? Just because one person hates their life, doesn't mean everyone does also in banking.
Reply 267
What's the sample space? Just because one person hates their life, doesn't mean everyone does also in banking.

Fair enough. Just trying to get you to realise that life really isn't all about money. When you die all the wealth you have accumulated will mean nothing.
Reply 268

Ahhhhh the 'bantz defence'.

You have been warned now many times on this thread by many people about the dangers of your intended path. If you still choose to follow it, then good luck to you.
You have been warned now many times on this thread by many people about the dangers of your intended path. If you still choose to follow it, then good luck to you.

What's the problem with his intended path? - He's pretty much guaranteed to make bank (providing he progresses and gets a FT role) and he will most likely leave within 2 years for the buy-side with better working hours and higher pay.
(edited 9 years ago)
According to the rest of the forum, you will be forever sad so instead you should go into teaching.

I agree so much, it seems that if you tell people you want to do a job because it pays well then they automatically assume you are going to be sad for the rest of your life. I personally love to have good financial security (own a house, nice car, secure savings etc.)

I guarantee 1000s of people (bankers in this case) could have went on Reddit and said how awesome a life they had because they were bankers.
Original post by Anonynmous
He's pretty much guaranteed to make bank (providing he progresses and gets a FT role) and he will most likely leave within 2 years for the buy-side with better working hours and higher pay.

Course he will :wink:

Original post by 96jaimin96
I agree so much, it seems that if you tell people you want to do a job because it pays well then they automatically assume you are going to be sad for the rest of your life. I personally love to have good financial security (own a house, nice car, secure savings etc.)

How is it that you figure a house, car, and savings equals ''security''? Most people with this stuff are pretty badly in debt, or don't have a lot of spare cash. Like I said before, people will always maximise their lifestyle to suit their income.

A lot of you on this thread talk like it was the 1950's or the 60's or something. There IS no security in today's environment, only the illusion of security, apart from the chosen few, who none of us will ever be part of.

How is it that you figure a house, car, and savings equals ''security''? Most people with this stuff are pretty badly in debt, or don't have a lot of spare cash. Like I said before, people will always maximise their lifestyle to suit their income.

A lot of you on this thread talk like it was the 1950's or the 60's or something. There IS no security in today's environment, only the illusion of security, apart from the chosen few, who none of us will ever be part of.

Fine it might not be "security" but it will be awesome to own a nice house and car.

Yeah that's is why I said have a well paying job, so you don't have to take out loans to fund them. :smile:

Most likely he is going at this rate.
Original post by 96jaimin96
Fine it might not be "security" but it will be awesome to own a nice house and car.

Yeah that's is why I said have a well paying job, so you don't have to take out loans to fund them. :smile:

To ''own'' a nice house, you will have to be very very well off indeed. I'm assuming you're talking about buying outright, yes? Hence the term ''own''. Now, if a nice house is about a million quid more or less, or let's say 800 grand. Where are you getting that money from? Otherwise you will be paying mortgage on a nice house. Which is not the same as ''owning''.
Car? Maybe. But in order to ''own'' this car outright will be about 40 grand. Same thing applies. Unless you have the car on a payment scheme. Which is not the same as ''owning'''.
Yes, I'm being pedantic, and yes, I knew you meant ''Having the use of in your name'' rather than ''owning'' but you see my point. Be under no illusion.

Most likely he is going at this rate.

I have to admit, he does come across as blinkered and single-minded enough to make this work.

Most people work for a living. In order to make big bucks, in most cases, you have to actually be aggressively paper-chasing, rather than just working hard. This takes a particular kind of person.

I have to admit, he does come across as blinkered and single-minded enough to make this work.

Most people work for a living. In order to make big bucks, in most cases, you have to actually be aggressively paper-chasing, rather than just working hard. This takes a particular kind of person.

Aggressive paper-chasing - Isn't that why people go for investment banking/Asset Manager route?
(edited 9 years ago)
Aggressive paper-chasing - Isn't that why people go for investment banking/Asset Manager route?

Yes, and it's very worrying exactly how many people on TSR want to go down that route, tbh.
Yes, and it's very worrying exactly how many people on TSR want to go down that route, tbh.

Because there isn't really any other route that is feasible for the vast majority of students to make bank.
(Aside Corporate law to an extent)

I'm guilty following the crowd, but it will pay off in the long term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending