The Student Room Group

Really want to go to uni

Currently in my first year of sixth form studying A level biology, chemistry and BTEC IT (unfortunately).

I'm really hoping to go to university after sixth form, however i'm really struggling on what I could do and actually get onto (due to the bloody btec).

A deegree that would actually get me a job + science based work would be amazing.

Any suggestions?
Original post by TheJCEP
Currently in my first year of sixth form studying A level biology, chemistry and BTEC IT (unfortunately).

I'm really hoping to go to university after sixth form, however i'm really struggling on what I could do and actually get onto (due to the bloody btec).

A deegree that would actually get me a job + science based work would be amazing.

Any suggestions?

cant you take another a level, maths or physics perhaps?
What's wrong with the BTEC. I'm pretty sure it will be fine applying to university, given I know quite a few people who got accepted to universities studying BTEC subjects. Don't listen too much to the kids on TSR who 95% of the time haven't a clue what they're talking about.
Reply 3
Original post by plasmaman
cant you take another a level, maths or physics perhaps?

In GCSE I got b's in the two subjects however as its like half way throughout the year I wouldn't be able to be able to take them now :frown:
Original post by TheJCEP
In GCSE I got b's in the two subjects however as its like half way throughout the year I wouldn't be able to be able to take them now :frown:
sure, it really depends what sort of career you're looking for. Do you want it to be lab based or more of a healthcare science. But unfortunately your best bet is picking up another A-level next year. Otherwise you'll find things pretty difficult.
Reply 5
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What's wrong with the BTEC. I'm pretty sure it will be fine applying to university, given I know quite a few people who got accepted to universities studying BTEC subjects. Don't listen too much to the kids on TSR who 95% of the time haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Appreciate it you not looking down on the BTEC haha, I have this impression that the courses I may want to do I might not be able to do due to the BTEC, as the majority of fellow chemistry and biology students don't do any BTECs and tend to do maths/physics/english that's why i'm worried haha
Reply 6
sure, it really depends what sort of career you're looking for. Do you want it to be lab based or more of a healthcare science. But unfortunately your best bet is picking up another A-level next year. Otherwise you'll find things pretty difficult.

Like I was thinking of maybe pharmacy or even biochemistry.
Original post by TheJCEP
Like I was thinking of maybe pharmacy or even biochemistry.

nice choices, your best bet then is to look up the entry requirements for those two courses on different university's websites, if that is unclear fire some e-mails they're way. good luck with whatever you decide
Original post by TheJCEP
Appreciate it you not looking down on the BTEC haha, I have this impression that the courses I may want to do I might not be able to do due to the BTEC, as the majority of fellow chemistry and biology students don't do any BTECs and tend to do maths/physics/english that's why i'm worried haha

What are you looking to study at university, what sort of career are you iintending to pursue?

I think it's just a phenomenem on TSR that people attribute BTEC to a level of intelectual inferiority. Hardly anyone in real life cares and the qualifications do progress students to university, who go on to do very well.

I would start looking at UCAS and checking into what qualifications the universities you are interested in accept. I gaurantee almost all of them would accept BTECs, especially if they're alongside A levels.
Reply 9
nice choices, your best bet then is to look up the entry requirements for those two courses on different university's websites, if that is unclear fire some e-mails they're way. good luck with whatever you decide

Appreciate the help bud, and thank you!
Reply 10
Original post by Abdul-Karim
What are you looking to study at university, what sort of career are you iintending to pursue?

I think it's just a phenomenem on TSR that people attribute BTEC to a level of intelectual inferiority. Hardly anyone in real life cares and the qualifications do progress students to university, who go on to do very well.

I would start looking at UCAS and checking into what qualifications the universities you are interested in accept. I gaurantee almost all of them would accept BTECs, especially if they're alongside A levels.

A lot of people tend to tell me this in sixth form, however you've reassured me a lot.

Appreciate the help mate, thank you!
Original post by TheJCEP
A lot of people tend to tell me this in sixth form, however you've reassured me a lot.

Appreciate the help mate, thank you!

Good shout. I like people like you, who take the initiative to solidify their futures by actually seeking support. Keep it up, you'll go along way. Stay 2 steps ahead of the competition.
BTECs are evil. They should be exterminated.
Original post by jakeel1
BTECs are evil. They should be exterminated.

Ive done btec and got an offer as well as other people I know...
Reply 14
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Ive done btec and got an offer as well as other people I know...

What did you get an offer in mate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest