The Student Room Group

Ncs 2015!

I was just wondering if anyone had signed up the National Citizens Service and what they thought of it? I don't know whether it would be a good idea to sign up to it for this year. And, what type of skills do you need to do well or enjoy (eg. does it help if you're confident?) ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by B.Humphris99
I was just wondering if anyone had signed up the National Citizens Service and what they thought of it? I don't know whether it would be a good idea to sign up to it for this year. And, what type of skills do you need to do well or enjoy (eg. does it help if you're confident?) ?

Its okay i guess they basically forced to me to do it with constant phone calls and messages and i finally opted in for it, unfortunately i wasn't with any of my friends or anyone even from my school i got put into a group were i know no-one but this make some friends and did enjoy the first two weeks but then everyone kind of got bored and stuff and stoped turning up but i wish i was with my friends. Confidence does help but thrust me you will have a good time who-ever you are. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Also forgot to add its good on your CV one of the reasons i did it.
Reply 2
Original post by B.Humphris99

Hi, I did NCS last summer, and honestly it was the best thing I've ever done because u learn so much, do so many new things and you make a difference in your community. I was unsure about it at first as I wasn't that confident but I thought I need to do it to challenge myself and boost my confidence. Week 1 is really good as you go away for 5 days and do rock climbing, canoeing, hiking and in week 2 you stay in student accommodation in flats and learn a skill like sport or photography and in week 3 you plan and present a social action project in your team and then do it :smile: It really helps with your confidence, leadership, teamwork and communication and meets lots of new people. You are put into teams and you stay with that team throughout the programme, the senior mentors are great and it really helps you with uni application. I'm still involved in NCS as I'm a youth board member for my city and we plan events and campaigns and this simmer I'll be an associate mentor to the new intake of NCS particpants .I really recommend you do it as it is a once in a life time opportunity :smile:
Original post by 16Dan
Hi, I did NCS last summer, and honestly it was the best thing I've ever done because u learn so much, do so many new things and you make a difference in your community. I was unsure about it at first as I wasn't that confident but I thought I need to do it to challenge myself and boost my confidence. Week 1 is really good as you go away for 5 days and do rock climbing, canoeing, hiking and in week 2 you stay in student accommodation in flats and learn a skill like sport or photography and in week 3 you plan and present a social action project in your team and then do it :smile: It really helps with your confidence, leadership, teamwork and communication and meets lots of new people. You are put into teams and you stay with that team throughout the programme, the senior mentors are great and it really helps you with uni application. I'm still involved in NCS as I'm a youth board member for my city and we plan events and campaigns and this simmer I'll be an associate mentor to the new intake of NCS particpants .I really recommend you do it as it is a once in a life time opportunity :smile:

Thank you for the advice, this was exactly what I needed!
Original post by thuvcasio
Its okay i guess they basically forced to me to do it with constant phone calls and messages and i finally opted in for it, unfortunately i wasn't with any of my friends or anyone even from my school i got put into a group were i know no-one but this make some friends and did enjoy the first two weeks but then everyone kind of got bored and stuff and stoped turning up but i wish i was with my friends. Confidence does help but thrust me you will have a good time who-ever you are. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Also forgot to add its good on your CV one of the reasons i did it.

Thanks :smile: I've signed up now so hopefully I'll enjoy it :tongue:
NCS is actually great. i went last summer, made great friends, the night life was great (sneaking off and smoking weed, then drinking back in the rooms lol) and the activities were enjoyable and you genuinely learn a lot.

i definitely recommend it.
Anyone planning to go NCS (National Citizen Service) this summer?
If yes, when?:smile::smile::smile:
I am! I can't remember the dates I picked though. I'm a bit worried about the assesment process as I do't want to fail it.
Original post by monipacpac
I am! I can't remember the dates I picked though. I'm a bit worried about the assesment process as I do't want to fail it.

ooh, I'm going on the first time slot which begins on the 22nd of June and ends on the 9th of July, I think. What's the assessment process?:confused:
Don't worry. I'm applying for staffing positions.
Hi,
I've applied for the first time! I can't remember the start date but mine ends on the 30th of July (my birthday :smile: )
I still dont know what to expect really but I'm hoping I will get a bit more confidence before moving to a completely new sixth form :s-smilie:
Sophie
Ooh lucky hahaa have fun

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've applied for the later date (I think it was August 3rd??) I'm so excited!!
Hi, what dates are you going this year?? I start on August 3rd :smile:
Original post by 21sophie21
Hi,
I've applied for the first time! I can't remember the start date but mine ends on the 30th of July (my birthday :smile: )
I still dont know what to expect really but I'm hoping I will get a bit more confidence before moving to a completely new sixth form :s-smilie:
Sophie

My friends are doing the same dates as you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've worked as a team leader for the past two years with NCS. It's seriously the best thing you could do all summer. Every single time my groups started off as shy and awkward and by the end of day two they're stuck to each other like glue. By the end of the residentials they're not sure how to live without the others around and by the end of the project they're in tears clinging onto each other and myself because they don't want it to end.

It'll boost your confidence and you'll do things you could never even imagine doing with a bunch of people you would never think to work with.
Original post by Frappé
My friends are doing the same dates as you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw great :smile: maybe I could see them haha
Reply 17
Can anybody tell me about their experience during Week 2 and the skill they picked? x
I've signed up for it as well. Dates are 29th of June till 16th of July.
Sorry for the late replies: I'm going 22nd June to 9th July

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending