The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notwinter
Oh I know what you mean! I was making a plaster sculpture the other day and I some how inhaled sooo much dust i thought I was going to die. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories though of people having their fingers burned off! a bit scary.
Must have been hard to do your own face!

Yes, all I am is counting down the days/hours. It's sooo soon yet it feels so far away. Hopefully if I don't get in I can ask for feedback, I'm not sure they do that. but it would be nice to know. But yeah I just want an answer, whatever it is.

Wasn't aware you could burn parts of your body doing it! It will be here soon haha, I am pretty sure you will get an interview but you will have to wait haha (obviously).

Anyway I have to go, sorry to be a pain but could you delete that re-post of my sculpture (just don't want my work being online permanently at the moment) . Thanks :smile:
Original post by Artfanatic
Wasn't aware you could burn parts of your body doing it! It will be here soon haha, I am pretty sure you will get an interview but you will have to wait haha (obviously).

Anyway I have to go, sorry to be a pain but could you delete that re-post of my sculpture (just don't want my work being online permanently at the moment) . Thanks :smile:

Yeah! if you let it dry directly to your skin it can burn through bone or something. It gets hotter than an oven and you can't remove it.
I deleted it.
I'm pretty sure I won't get an interview... I mean 160 out of 1600 is very very low odds.
But I wish you the best of luck. From what I've seen your work looks really good
Yeah! if you let it dry directly to your skin it can burn through bone or something. It gets hotter than an oven and you can't remove it.
I deleted it.
I'm pretty sure I won't get an interview... I mean 160 out of 1600 is very very low odds.
But I wish you the best of luck. From what I've seen your work looks really good

Thanks! Well someone has to get an interview. It just depends what your work can indicate to them. If they have a set picture in mind of what they want to see ingrained in work and it doesn't well you don't have a chance despite you work perhaps being exceptional.

Thanks, I doubt I will get one too because I don't think they look for my kind of stuff - perhaps a little too focused on the human form for them. Anyway try to function properly! I know it's hard haha!
hahahaa night! Speak later when I end up not sleeping for 10 years being impatient :smile:
guys I literally can't stop thinking about it. I'm counting down the minutes almost. 6 days feels wayyy to long to wait. How are you guys coping?

I don't really care if it's a yes or a no... i'm just so impatient.
guys I literally can't stop thinking about it. I'm counting down the minutes almost. 6 days feels wayyy to long to wait. How are you guys coping?

I don't really care if it's a yes or a no... i'm just so impatient.

You need to occupy yourself! It's only 6 days possibly but it may be more, just forget about it till next week! (It may not even be next week so don't pin your hopes!!)
Original post by Artfanatic
You need to occupy yourself! It's only 6 days possibly but it may be more, just forget about it till next week! (It may not even be next week so don't pin your hopes!!)

That's what I'm doing. I'm making a drawing... but still I can't stop thinking about it. Like it's always going to be in the back of my head. It feels so long away. :-(
heyyyy just came across this thread! I also applied to Slade - hate the waiting!! I know someone on my Foundation course last year who got an interview and I think he heard like 3-4 days after he submitted his folio there!
Good luck everyone :smile:
Original post by meganabcdefg
heyyyy just came across this thread! I also applied to Slade - hate the waiting!! I know someone on my Foundation course last year who got an interview and I think he heard like 3-4 days after he submitted his folio there!
Good luck everyone :smile:

Hey!
Do you have a link to your portfolio?

That's cool! He must have applied like on the Thursday. Do you know if he got in?
Hey!
Do you have a link to your portfolio?

That's cool! He must have applied like on the Thursday. Do you know if he got in?

Nooo they told him to go away and do a Foundation course! So he has haha!

And yeah I have a small selection of my work online from my Kingston E-Portfolio.

I'll message it to you? :smile:
Nooo they told him to go away and do a Foundation course! So he has haha!

And yeah I have a small selection of my work online from my Kingston E-Portfolio.

I'll message it to you? :smile:

Did they say he'll take him this year or did he have to reapply?

Yes please!

Kingston is a good foundation course!
Did they say he'll take him this year or did he have to reapply?

Yes please!

Kingston is a good foundation course!

They said that he had to re-apply. I think it's quite likely that he'll get an interview though considering he did last year!

And I just sent it :smile: It's for their BA Fine Art course this year - I'm currently doing a Foundation course at Oxford Brookes! Are you on Foundation?
They said that he had to re-apply. I think it's quite likely that he'll get an interview though considering he did last year!

And I just sent it :smile: It's for their BA Fine Art course this year - I'm currently doing a Foundation course at Oxford Brookes! Are you on Foundation?

oh cool! Oxford Brookes is good, how are you liking it?

What was his work like?

I'm currently doing my BTEC. I'll do a foundation if Slade tell me too, but If it's a no I'll accept my place at Leeds or Chelsea if they accept me
oh cool! Oxford Brookes is good, how are you liking it?

What was his work like?

I'm currently doing my BTEC. I'll do a foundation if Slade tell me too, but If it's a no I'll accept my place at Leeds or Chelsea if they accept me

Yeah I really like it! It's a really good course :smile:

I applied to Chelsea too! Have you got an interview there in March?

Erm last year I think it was quite a broad mix of painting, drawing and sculpture and this year his is mostly sculpture and conceptual work!
Yeah I really like it! It's a really good course :smile:

I applied to Chelsea too! Have you got an interview there in March?

Erm last year I think it was quite a broad mix of painting, drawing and sculpture and this year his is mostly sculpture and conceptual work!

Yes! Mines on the 3rd and you?

oh good! that's sort of what mine is. but then again they're pretty much the only 3 categories unless some are doing film or installation etc..
Yes! Mines on the 3rd and you?

oh good! that's sort of what mine is. but then again they're pretty much the only 3 categories unless some are doing film or installation etc..

Yeah - I wasn't sure whether they'd want to see a mix of things or would prefer someone who was really into one of those things in particular!

Yeah mine's on the 4th!! Good luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:
Anyone got any really juicy threads outside of TSR relevant to our discussion? I found several video showreels on youtube (for the MFA) last week but they took it down presumably after interview of something, seriously fine arty though actually quite inspiring, in fact I responded to one of their works on my own portfolio. I also found some Slade students tumblr pages (is this a bit too obsessive?) and was also inspired, some of their work is frankly awful though it has to be said.
Yeah - I wasn't sure whether they'd want to see a mix of things or would prefer someone who was really into one of those things in particular!

Yeah mine's on the 4th!! Good luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:

neither did I! did you go to that hours talk they gave at open day? They said you should just put in your outside work that felt best suited you. I remember them saying like If you've done loads of life drawing, but wouldn't do that here then don't put it in. So I only put in things I was interested in.

Thanks! I'll tell you what they ask and everything
Original post by bertiewallace123
Anyone got any really juicy threads outside of TSR relevant to our discussion? I found several video showreels on youtube (for the MFA) last week but they took it down presumably after interview of something, seriously fine arty though actually quite inspiring, in fact I responded to one of their works on my own portfolio. I also found some Slade students tumblr pages (is this a bit too obsessive?) and was also inspired, some of their work is frankly awful though it has to be said.

hahahah don't worry! I've stalked every nook and cranny of the internet. I literally have no life. I too responded to some stuff in an abstractish way. Can you show me what you responded too? and the Tumblr pages.
This is gonna sound awful, but I found the Slade students FB group from a few years and looked at all their profiles to see if they posted any art. Some are really good and some I just really don't understand.
hahahah don't worry! I've stalked every nook and cranny of the internet. I literally have no life. I too responded to some stuff in an abstractish way. Can you show me what you responded too? and the Tumblr pages.
This is gonna sound awful, but I found the Slade students FB group from a few years and looked at all their profiles to see if they posted any art. Some are really good and some I just really don't understand.

Same! the most recent year have a fb page from which I got all my links etc. Just googled there names with keywords like 'tumblr 'or 'flickr' or 'art' for instacne. Will have to dig them out after I come back from much needed fresh air.

I have some video art which I will link you to it in a bit as well...

Quick Reply

Latest