The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sydneybridge
Can I ask - those of you who have Offers - is anyone just holding 1 or 2 offers with all other rejections?

I have 2 offers, one rejection and waiting to hear from 1 post interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And what '5th choice' did you make? Zoology, Vet Nursing?

Do you have any intention of making this your Firm or Insurance?
Reply 5542
Original post by Libby_4
Does anyone know if Liverpool will be giving out any more interviews ? I saw that people have been getting 18th March (congratulations:smile:)and that was the last day on the WEX so I assume that's it....? A little confused as they had said that interviews were based only on number of weeks of work experience and I had considerably more than two friends I know who received interviews ������ Wouldnt have thought it would be to do with anything else on my application that ruled me out as got invited to interview at Cambridge, Edinburgh and Notthingham too :/

Sorry for the essay haha

I heard that too but not sure if that's actually how it works as they've obviously waited until the last date to give me an interview and I had 23.3 weeks WE...
I phoned a couple of weeks ago and was told we would hear either rejection or interview by the end of Feb.

Biology at Imperial.
Planning to reject cuz I have two vet med offers. (Not to mention conditions are higher than both vet med offers. xD)
Original post by Shrap
and I had 23.3 weeks WE....

You seem to be assuming that its just 'predicted grades' and 'amount of work experience' that will get you an interview.

It isnt.
Reply 5545
You seem to be assuming that its just 'predicted grades' and 'amount of work experience' that will get you an interview.

It isnt.

What else do they base it on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

With my rejection from Bristol (only applied for one vet medicine due to financial issues and Bristol being the closest uni), I have 4 other offers for Zoology/Biology. If I can get 3A's in my A levels this year I will take a gap year, do some more work experience and then reapply next year; if not I will do a degree in zoology before reapplying for vet medicine in the near future 😊
I think if you have 2 vet offers maybe put them down as your choices if you believe you will get the grades 😊
Sorry I'm not much help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shrap
I heard that too but not sure if that's actually how it works as they've obviously waited until the last date to give me an interview and I had 23.3 weeks WE...
I phoned a couple of weeks ago and was told we would hear either rejection or interview by the end of Feb.

Well done getting an interview though!! Yeah I think that must have been the last day. I had 16 weeks on WEX which I always knew would be borderline but a couple of friends of mine had 13-14weeks and got interviews. Even if they did it on variety of work experience too they didn't have more than me as I had it at 13 different places... Oh well haha
Reply 5548
Original post by 0802
What else do they base it on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nobody knows the scoring system and you do need to have your WE in all the right areas
Having used their scoring system it is about the amount of what they consider 'valid' WE
Grades have nothing to do with it provided minimum criteria are met
They totally ignore everything else about a candidate: it is different to all other schools
Reply 5549

It isnt.

Aren't you a friendly sort :smile: Please refer to the first sentence of my post, in particular the part I have put in bold for you below:

I heard that too but not sure if that's actually how it works

Although I'm sure we can be excused for thinking that:

2015 Liverpool Guidance Notes for Applicants
Stage 2 (December - February): The work experience questionnaires are ranked, with the top scores progressing to interview.

Thanks for the insight :smile:
Original post by Shrap
Aren't you a friendly sort :smile: Please refer to the first sentence of my post, in particular the part I have put in bold for you below:

Although I'm sure we can be excused for thinking that:
Thanks for the insight :smile:

It is widely reported on this forum, last year and this, that lpool score volume and diversity of wex as paramount in deciding to interview or not. I presume that none of us really know if that is really the case.
Original post by wanttobevet
It is widely reported on this forum, last year and this, that lpool score volume and diversity of wex as paramount in deciding to interview or not. I presume that none of us really know if that is really the case.

Although I only had 11 weeks and have an interview on the 18th of March :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
It isnt just 'work experience' that is scored in your PS..

Its elusive factors like ...... 'realistic about what the career entails', 'has insight into veterinary role in farming', 'evidence of ambition/leadership' etc etc.
Unless you present as the type of person they know makes a good vet student and have an informed and demonstrably adult attitude towards the job, it wont matter how many week w/ex you have, because that on its own wont be enough - whatever any Uni tells you.
.. All I said was that I thought none if us 'really' know how the uni's select for interview, but it appears that some people do know. So thanks for the correction and insight. D
Reply 5554
It isnt just 'work experience' that is scored in your PS..

Its elusive factors like ...... 'realistic about what the career entails', 'has insight into veterinary role in farming', 'evidence of ambition/leadership' etc etc.
Unless you present as the type of person they know makes a good vet student and have an informed and demonstrably adult attitude towards the job, it wont matter how many week w/ex you have, because that on its own wont be enough - whatever any Uni tells you.

They don't actually read your personal statement, so I guess they look at academic achievements and varied work experience?

I didn't put down a 5th choice, just 4 vet med. I know that my offer from Surrey will definitely be my firm choice but I'm waiting to hear from everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
I know people can't say much, but I was wondering if anyone has any general advice and tips for nottingham interviews. I have it next week and it's my last one, so I still want to do well on it.
Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up! :smile:
Original post by ShellySpielberg
Hey!
I know people can't say much, but I was wondering if anyone has any general advice and tips for nottingham interviews. I have it next week and it's my last one, so I still want to do well on it.
Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up! :smile:

Of course you want to do well, but given this is your fourth interview and given that you already have 3 offers, perhaps you can afford to do slightly less well in this one and hopefully someone else can then get 1 offer!
Reply 5558
Original post by VetApp
They don't actually read your personal statement, so I guess they look at academic achievements and varied work experience?

Some of the postings seem to be at cross purposes. I do want to clarify Liverpool's way of selecting for interview. They don't look at the PS
How do I know? The admissions officer said so personally (at the open day and to me). He said (and I quote): there is no evidence they are written by the student) but then said he had looked at them very occasionally, ONLY to verify work experience
So for getting a Liverpool interview its nothing to do with attitudes, being adult, blah blah, its about your WE questionnaire score and only that (having met the minimum academic requirements)
If you don't have a lot of varied WE don't apply there. I had 16 weeks + and it wasn't enough. (this was fine, got in elsewhere)
Original post by wanttobevet
Of course you want to do well, but given this is your fourth interview and given that you already have 3 offers, perhaps you can afford to do slightly less well in this one and hopefully someone else can then get 1 offer!

Thing is, I'm kind of interested in nottingham as an insurance maybe. Of course I won't be devastated, and I'd be really happy for anyone who gets that offer! I was just asking because notts is apparently very different to everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending