The Student Room Group

British Chemistry Olympiad 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rassam91
I was told it was about 25%. All of you are lying by the way, none of you found that exam easy because you don't know 99% of the question asked except for the first. Those were degree questions, so I think those who found that test rather 'easy' you email me a scan of your results. :smile:

Sorry if I offended and I feel guilty for what I said. Mainly because it wasn't true. I have no idea how good you are at chemistry and completing an AS level a year early in the subject is a respectable achievement.

Good luck in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TajwarC
Aren't the mark schemes released at the same time as the paper? My teacher entered us ages ago but apparently didn't get any response from the RSC until she had to email them again last week, after the first sitting happened. The papers were sent so I guess they have no issue with us doing it this late.

As Xenorebrem said, it's quite easy to tell who is actually capable of getting through to round two and who isn't. Also as it's not an exam that goes on any record I'm guessing the RSC are a bit more relaxed in terms of moderation, hence why your own teachers mark it and not the RSC themselves. As said above, the whole idea is to fish out the best students, along with having a bit of fun with it.

My teacher got the paper more than 2 weeks ago, and the mark scheme was released yesterday. The reason they do this is that even if some students try to cheat and leak questions, they wont know the answers anyway. BTW don't take me wrong I wish you best luck in the paper tomorrow.
Original post by AndyChow
My teacher got the paper more than 2 weeks ago, and the mark scheme was released yesterday. The reason they do this is that even if some students try to cheat and leak questions, they wont know the answers anyway. BTW don't take me wrong I wish you best luck in the paper tomorrow.

Ah I see. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by allstar1996
No, our chemistry teacher generally takes a while to process these things... Do you?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I got 62/75... Not sure if this is good enough for round 2 but I'm hopeful!))

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mcmillanr
Yeah I got 62/75... Not sure if this is good enough for round 2 but I'm hopeful!))

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done - that'll surely be enough! :smile: I got 54, which I'm reasonably pleased with considering my school has never had a gold in the RSC olympiad before.. although a part of me was longing to get through to Round 2 haha. Oh well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 61 and everyone in the school was like :eek: I though I did well then I see your score I got instant Rekt. Hope to challenge you at round 2
I got 61 and everyone in the school was like :eek: I though I did well then I see your score I got instant Rekt. Hope to challenge you at round 2

Haha if we get there! Did you do the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha if we get there! Did you do the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mark of over 60 probably through to round 2 depending on how many places there are, if not then it's gonna be the biggest near miss for me. I barely just managed a roentgenium in C3L6 imo grade boundary was pretty low. So I guess the second round is gonna be identical to the residential camp we went (same dinner at pizza xpress, same acommodation same peter wothers etc...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Mark of over 60 probably through to round 2 depending on how many places there are, if not then it's gonna be the biggest near miss for me. I barely just managed a roentgenium in C3L6 imo grade boundary was pretty low. So I guess the second round is gonna be identical to the residential camp we went (same dinner at pizza xpress, same acommodation same peter wothers etc...)

Yeah I'm hoping over 60 for round 2! I'm guessing it would be a bit more tense than the residential camp though seeing as they would be assessing us!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a bronze, didn't expect that at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joshthemathmo
I got a bronze, didn't expect that at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

How have you already gotten your medal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Protoxylic
I don't think the paper was/is bad as a lot of people on this thread are making it out to be. This happens even with A-Level exams, people think that their year's exam was the 'hardest' when in reality it is all down to exam pressure. I would agree that it was slightly more demanding, but only on question 5. Question 1,2,3 and 4 were very accessible in my opinion.

Well done!
Original post by Xin Xang
How have you already gotten your medal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thinks it's a bronze my chem teacher sent me an email saying I got 22

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

But which grade boundary did you use?

Last year was out if 60 ish whilst this year was 75 so I imagine the raw mark grade boundaries would rise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenorebrem
Is anyone else planning on doing the paper?

How are you planning to prepare, and are you also doing the Biology Olympiad?

what is it "biology" olympiad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

will you participate in 47th icho
Original post by LargeAndInCharge
will you participate in 47th icho

Will you?

I assume you are foreign :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang
Will you?

I assume you are foreign :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ofcourse :eek:

why do u think Im foreign? even thogh I am :smile:

will you be part of Chinese team? :eek:

Nope I'm aiming for the British team. Though I have still quite a lot of practise to do before that happens.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is it "biology" olympiad?

^This is why I think you are foreign lol. The English is a little off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest