The Student Room Group

Cambridge Offer Holders 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecasx
Hey, can I just ask how you are planning to take a gap year before Cambridge NatSci if you don't mind me asking? I'll be in a similar situation next year, taking a gap year working in industry while applying for 2016 NatSci entry.
Are you still in school or are you currently taking your gap year? What type of condition did they give you?
My situation is that I won't be in school for the final year - I will be working. I'm doing all of my Advanced Highers (Scottish equivalent of A-Levels) this year so upon application, Cambridge will have my results, but I was wondering what type of offer they would give me. What condition could they give me, realistically, if I get A's in all of my subjects? Do you think they would give me a STEP offer, despite the fact that it's a NatSci application and not maths? Or maybe tell me to teach myself another related Advanced Higher and sit the exam?
I'm planning on allocating some time through the year to keep up to date with my science/maths knowledge (and learning more if I can) which I hope to convey to them if I am interviewed, but still, do you have any suggestions what they would want from me as a condition?

thank you!

If your achieved grades are above the entrance criteria you will get an unconditional offer. If they are below they might give you a conditional offer based on you resitting exams.
Original post by physicsmaths
Have you seen the Cambridge Tab youtube channel. The one on the EDL was so funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looooooooooooool. I just saw that video.
Reply 1202
Original post by Goods
If your achieved grades are above the entrance criteria you will get an unconditional offer. If they are below they might give you a conditional offer based on you resitting exams.

Really? Cambridge do give unconditionals? That's reassuring - I assumed they would ask more of me for the sake of doing something the year before entry.
Original post by Ecasx
Really? Cambridge do give unconditionals? That's reassuring - I assumed they would ask more of me for the sake of doing something the year before entry.

Nope. If you get an offer it would almost certainly be an unconditional.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecasx

Original post by Elcor

Except for Maths. Likely to ask for STEP.
Original post by jneill

Yeah - or if they've entered themselves for any resits or extra qualifications. Someone from the Facebook group had 4 A*s last year but Cambridge still asked for an A* in an extra A Level they're doing this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1206
Original post by Elcor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good news!

Original post by Elcor
Yeah - or if they've entered themselves for any resits or extra qualifications. Someone from the Facebook group had 4 A*s last year but Cambridge still asked for an A* in an extra A Level they're doing this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could take an extra course or two (Statistics and/or Biology) although I'm not really considering it. Do you think they would specifically ask me to do so? I am taking 4 Advanced Highers this year, though Cambridge require 3 according to their website.
Someone's added me to the general Offer Holders Facebook group - I don't really want to post in case I don't get in... :tongue:
Original post by Ecasx
Good news!

I could take an extra course or two (Statistics and/or Biology) although I'm not really considering it. Do you think they would specifically ask me to do so? I am taking 4 Advanced Highers this year, though Cambridge require 3 according to their website.

Don't take this as gospel, but I've successfully applied for Natsci on my gap year and aren't taking any modules this year, nor have they asked me to, so you may be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mini-Me
Don't take this as gospel, but I've successfully applied for Natsci on my gap year and aren't taking any modules this year, nor have they asked me to, so you may be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gospel? LOL

What college are you at??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by umutalberts
Gospel? LOL

What college are you at??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Emmanuel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you choose it cuz of the ducks? :wink: apparently the infamous bench disappeared....
Are you phys or bio?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1212
Original post by Mini-Me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind me asking what your A-Level results where?
Original post by umutalberts
Did you choose it cuz of the ducks? :wink: apparently the infamous bench disappeared....
Are you phys or bio?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah it was just close to the labs I'd be at and my friends brother is there and liked it.. and the free laundry :wink:

I'm bio

Original post by Ecasx
Do you mind me asking what your A-Level results where?

I got A*A*A*A* in Bio, Chem, Maths and FM with an A in AS Physics in year 12
Reply 1214
Original post by Mini-Me
Nah it was just close to the labs I'd be at and my friends brother is there and liked it.. and the free laundry :wink:

I'm bio

I got A*A*A*A* in Bio, Chem, Maths and FM with an A in AS Physics in year 12

Nice! Guess you well deserved that offer.
Original post by jneill

Not if you've already sat STEP (and achieved the required grades) they won't
Original post by newblood
Not if you've already sat STEP (and achieved the required grades) they won't

I know of someone who was rejected by the other place last year and went on to get 1 1 1 in STEP. He took a gap year and now Cambridge have asked him to redo any STEP and get an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I know of someone who was rejected by the other place last year and went on to get 1 1 1 in STEP. He took a gap year and now Cambridge have asked him to redo any STEP and get an S.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what college and whats his username?
Original post by newblood
what college and whats his username?

Why?
Original post by jneill
Why?

Because I find it hard to believe,especially given it asks for an S in any STEP paper when cambridge dont care about STEP I at all for mathematicians.

But if true I am curious to see what college gave the offer

Quick Reply

Latest