The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notwinter
Same, I only did 4 of my commissions to fund my work going in a gallery. But the rest where just people liking it.
That is a good point, film can be explored. I think I'm a bit picky about film as I have seen some very odd stuff. And I'm not sure if it's the film I'm supposed to like or the stuff in it. When is something a bit of film and when is the subject art? sometimes I find it hard to tell.

No... realistically I have a 001% chance of making it. I'm going into curation. I love it. I sort of like organizing and having ideas. It's a way for me to be inspired by other people's art and have my own input on it. I guess I really just like looking at it. But I can still make art for myself on the side lines.

See the arguments that Greenaway voices is that film is art, if you see his work its more painting on film. The narratives and script are threadbare. I don;t really watch much for the scripts tho, I watch for visuals and sounds. They make a film. The other linear stuff is in my eyes documented drama and theatre.

If you look at art in the past 20 years the lines have become blurred to the point of being invisible. Lectures are considered art, 3d games are art. Nothing cannot be art. So film, an aesthetics business must be up there with painting, if not higher considering how widely consumed it is in the world today.

Sounds like a plan, haven;t curated before but it sounds fun. Soudns like ud make a good contyempary art historian
Original post by bertiewallace123
See the arguments that Greenaway voices is that film is art, if you see his work its more painting on film. The narratives and script are threadbare. I don;t really watch much for the scripts tho, I watch for visuals and sounds. They make a film. The other linear stuff is in my eyes documented drama and theatre.

If you look at art in the past 20 years the lines have become blurred to the point of being invisible. Lectures are considered art, 3d games are art. Nothing cannot be art. So film, an aesthetics business must be up there with painting, if not higher considering how widely consumed it is in the world today.

Sounds like a plan, haven;t curated before but it sounds fun. Soudns like ud make a good contyempary art historian

I love hoe everything is art. It's cool. It's like art is a feeling.
But what differs that from just being cinematography? I guess the beauty of it (positive or negative film) relates the artistic sense. I like that positive aesthetic doesn't have to be art. It's weird. Or something technically bad (I mean technicality is a construct really) can be beautiful.

It is really fun. My curation group recently did an event where we held a fashion show for young teens where they made work in response to a local artist. Then we held a Q+A on fashion consciousness and the ethics that go behind fashion. It was really good. We've got some more stuff coming up soon, which I'm really looking forward to.
I've retained a lot about modern art, modern art ideas and curation. It's all really interesting. I've read a lot of books about it recently too about how ideas are very important in presentation.
I like just knowing about things, makes me feel involved in the past in a modern way. It influences my ideas.
I did a talk/tour at the photographers gallery awhile ago on Edward Stiechen which was amazing, it was simply so interesting. It's cool how if you go on a tour you're being told things and as you go you form your opinions based off what you're told. But when you give a talk you are telling people your opinions which you have to be very confident in. I learnt so much by learning about the art on a personal level. It's amazing how much we can be divided with the things we are looking at.
I love hoe everything is art. It's cool. It's like art is a feeling.
But what differs that from just being cinematography? I guess the beauty of it (positive or negative film) relates the artistic sense. I like that positive aesthetic doesn't have to be art. It's weird. Or something technically bad (I mean technicality is a construct really) can be beautiful.

It is really fun. My curation group recently did an event where we held a fashion show for young teens where they made work in response to a local artist. Then we held a Q+A on fashion consciousness and the ethics that go behind fashion. It was really good. We've got some more stuff coming up soon, which I'm really looking forward to.
I've retained a lot about modern art, modern art ideas and curation. It's all really interesting. I've read a lot of books about it recently too about how ideas are very important in presentation.
I like just knowing about things, makes me feel involved in the past in a modern way. It influences my ideas.
I did a talk/tour at the photographers gallery awhile ago on Edward Stiechen which was amazing, it was simply so interesting. It's cool how if you go on a tour you're being told things and as you go you form your opinions based off what you're told. But when you give a talk you are telling people your opinions which you have to be very confident in. I learnt so much by learning about the art on a personal level. It's amazing how much we can be divided with the things we are looking at.

Cinematogrpahy, is talking through visual layout, framing etc. Not acting, music, sound, which really make the film I think.

The responsive nature of art is fantastic. How things deflect off each otehr like particles in heat. All the tiime we're stretching and challenging our minds (maaaan) which is i suppose what contemp. art is all about. Being challenging.

Anyway Im shattered and will turn in for the night. 1 day gone potentially 3 more to go....
Cinematogrpahy, is talking through visual layout, framing etc. Not acting, music, sound, which really make the film I think.

The responsive nature of art is fantastic. How things deflect off each otehr like particles in heat. All the tiime we're stretching and challenging our minds (maaaan) which is i suppose what contemp. art is all about. Being challenging.

Anyway Im shattered and will turn in for the night. 1 day gone potentially 3 more to go....

I like that description. Art is like heat. Yeah

Ummm yes! You somehow have kept me up till 1 am when I have to get up at 7 to do some work. :/ Sad times.
3 more days KFSJDFKDSJFKSDHGJKFDH (sound of my brain melting)
Yay! Found a Slade thread, and my first post on student room! I'm also awaiting the email/ rejection. If it helps anyone I spoke to one of the tutors at the open day because I had so many questions and he mentioned the people their interested in 'have consistent interests which are well explored and thoughtful' . If anyone could message me a link to a portfolio that would be great!
Original post by ellery child
Yay! Found a Slade thread, and my first post on student room! I'm also awaiting the email/ rejection. If it helps anyone I spoke to one of the tutors at the open day because I had so many questions and he mentioned the people their interested in 'have consistent interests which are well explored and thoughtful' . If anyone could message me a link to a portfolio that would be great!

Hey welcome!
when did you submit? and also do you have work to show us>
Hey everyone I wasn't sure how to make a table, but I thought I would made one of them TSR wiki pages like other years
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Slade_school_of_art_applicants_stalking_page_2015_entry

Can you add your info please! If you don't want to include portfolio then all is good, but fill out the rest. And if anyone knows how to make a table, then please do!! :-)
Hey everyone I wasn't sure how to make a table, but I thought I would made one of them TSR wiki pages like other years
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Slade_school_of_art_applicants_stalking_page_2015_entry

Can you add your info please! If you don't want to include portfolio then all is good, but fill out the rest. And if anyone knows how to make a table, then please do!! :-)

we're artists, i dont think anyone will know how to make a table.

Gd idea tho, i might make a small flickr account if it helps. Also thankyou new user for joining the thread, it starting to become stale. Do you have any work online, any interesting links or gd stories?

Heyy thank you for making one of those pages! I managed to make it into a table by copying the table from last year :smile:

Hopefully it will be of some help to other people!
Original post by ellery child

Heyy! Yeah I remember them saying that at the open day too - I'm hoping that with my statement/folio I have shown that! :confused:
I have put a link to an efolio for Kingston that I made on the Slade stalking page - its only a selection of some of my work though! Have you got one I could have a look at? :smile:

What sort of work do you do?
Reply 190
Nice work, Megan.
I feel inadequate now :smile:
Thanks for making the table!!! Was very helpful.

:-) We're so organised haha

I'm a bit worried because I did put a mix in, but then again I do have mixed interests.
we're artists, i dont think anyone will know how to make a table.

Gd idea tho, i might make a small flickr account if it helps. Also thankyou new user for joining the thread, it starting to become stale. Do you have any work online, any interesting links or gd stories?

please do :smile:
Thanks for making the table!!! Was very helpful.

:-) We're so organised haha

I'm a bit worried because I did put a mix in, but then again I do have mixed interests.

No problem! And yeah... I suppose mine is quite a mix of different media and stuff. It's quite conflicting because they said they like to see experimentation etc. but also want you to have a clear direction - who knows! Maybe its more about your ideas being consistent. We'll see!

Also does anyone know if they send out interview invites by post or email?
Original post by eei
Nice work, Megan.
I feel inadequate now :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

And oh, I'm sorry you feel that way! :frown: I'm sure your work is awesome. One of the things I love about Art is that everyone's work is always so different! And we never know what the Slade will like!
Original post by meganabcdefg
No problem! And yeah... I suppose mine is quite a mix of different media and stuff. It's quite conflicting because they said they like to see experimentation etc. but also want you to have a clear direction - who knows! Maybe its more about your ideas being consistent. We'll see!

Interview invites is through post or email, rejection is through UCAS
Interview invites is through post or email, rejection is through UCAS

Yeah, that's what I thought. Okay thanks! :smile:
Heyy! Yeah I remember them saying that at the open day too - I'm hoping that with my statement/folio I have shown that! :confused:
I have put a link to an efolio for Kingston that I made on the Slade stalking page - its only a selection of some of my work though! Have you got one I could have a look at? :smile:

What sort of work do you do?

I love your work! Its certainly got experimentation but its all identifiable as one! I am intrigued by the Facebook piece idea, what was your intention?

Out of interest, what kinds of other stuff did you include for the Slade application? :smile:

By that they mean that your ideas must be coherent and related to each other and should be explored in an experimental manner in various mediums. So for instance a portrait could be explored with print or digital art in an experimental manner that disregards accuracy or technicality .
By that they mean that your ideas must be coherent and related to each other and should be explored in an experimental manner in various mediums. So for instance a portrait could be explored with print or digital art in an experimental manner that disregards accuracy or technicality .

You see none of my themes strongly relate to each other apart from the very strong theme that is colour. But they wouldn't know that from looking at my portfolio, it would need explaining :/

In 2012 4 people on here were discussing slade and 3 got interviews.
This year there are 5 people. I'd like to know if there's a pattern

Quick Reply

Latest