The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

Irrationally angry atm.
Original post by Pathway
Irrationally angry atm.

Ditto. Trying to calm myself but it makes me more angry.
Reply 1182
Original post by Pathway

Finally told my best friend on campus about the PTSD (not really anything specific)/depression/what my GP has been saying and also what happened at the CMHT appointment (she didn't know anything at all) and the complaint I've filed against the psychiatrist. And she was so lovely about it, she said she is always around if I need someone to talk to. Still couldn't bring myself to tell her about the ED stuff though, was too scary.

Spoiler

All in all I feel a lot better now that someone knows. Almost chickened out though, glad I didn't. :colondollar:

Good on you. I know how difficult it is. I just met up with a friend today that I hadn't seen in a couple ot years and told him briefly about my mental health problems and that I spent a quarter of last year in psychiatric wards.

I think my problem is that I make more of a big deal about my own problems than other people do. I probably stigmatise my own condition more than the general public do. I knew my friend was unlikely to react badly but it still made me anxious as **** to say it.
Original post by james1211
Ditto. Trying to calm myself but it makes me more angry.

You're welcome to PM me if you want/need a rant?

Original post by Jay84
Good on you. I know how difficult it is. I just met up with a friend today that I hadn't seen in a couple ot years and told him briefly about my mental health problems and that I spent a quarter of last year in psychiatric wards.

I think my problem is that I make more of a big deal about my own problems than other people do. I probably stigmatise my own condition more than the general public do. I knew my friend was unlikely to react badly but it still made me anxious as **** to say it.

How did they react? Well done on telling them though, I know (from experience now!) how hard it can be. I know some people don't "get it" and ask stupid questions etc, that's the main reason I was worried. But my friend also wants to be a clinical psychologist (like myself) so I didn't *think* she'd react badly. Still nerve wracking though. :sadnod:

It's hard to talk about something serious that is stigmatised (especially if it is internalized as well). I mean, I almost cried, and before she popped round I had multiple panic attacks about telling her. So I definitely get where you're coming from. Did it help you to talk about it with them?

(Sorry to hear about your hospitalisation, I hope you're doing better now. :jumphug:)
not safe and I really couldn't give a **** anymore. **** this.
Original post by ScaryScience
not safe and I really couldn't give a **** anymore. **** this.

:console: PM me if you want to talk? :frown:
Reply 1186
Original post by Pathway

How did they react?

There wasn't a massive reaction because although this friend hasn't seen me in any really bad states he knows about my history of disappearing for long periods of time and also knows other people who have witnessed me in states of bad mental health so I am sure he has heard people tell him that I am a bit unstable or at least not all together right in the head.

He didn't really dwell on it to be honest, just asked how I was now, whether I was on any medication or regime of therapy etc.

It's hard to talk about something serious that is stigmatised (especially if it is internalized as well). I mean, I almost cried, and before she popped round I had multiple panic attacks about telling her. So I definitely get where you're coming from. Did it help you to talk about it with them?

In a sense, yes. I have moved to a new town and this guy who I have known for 25 years also lives there so it is good to have an old friend and it was good for me to get something off my chest so that I don't feel like I am hiding something because in the past, shame has caused me big social isolation. I mean, I went for periods of months at a time during my degree where I barely interacted with any other humans because I shut myself in my bedsit and only went out at 4am once a week to a 24hour supermarket to buy food and drink because I was too ashamed to face another human being. I also had a few times where I had a period of clarity after a manic phase and felt that I had embarrassed myself and ended up ditching friends and moving address and trying to meet new people.

Now I have told this guy that I did **** all last year and have gone missing for periods of time before that because of mental illness, we can just hang out or whatever and I don't have to feel like I have a dirty secret to hide.
Original post by Jay84
There wasn't a massive reaction because although this friend hasn't seen me in any really bad states he knows about my history of disappearing for long periods of time and also knows other people who have witnessed me in states of bad mental health so I am sure he has heard people tell him that I am a bit unstable or at least not all together right in the head.

He didn't really dwell on it to be honest, just asked how I was now, whether I was on any medication or regime of therapy etc.

In a sense, yes. I have moved to a new town and this guy who I have known for 25 years also lives there so it is good to have an old friend and it was good for me to get something off my chest so that I don't feel like I am hiding something because in the past, shame has caused me big social isolation. I mean, I went for periods of months at a time during my degree where I barely interacted with any other humans because I shut myself in my bedsit and only went out at 4am once a week to a 24hour supermarket to buy food and drink because I was too ashamed to face another human being. I also had a few times where I had a period of clarity after a manic phase and felt that I had embarrassed myself and ended up ditching friends and moving address and trying to meet new people.

Now I have told this guy that I did **** all last year and have gone missing for periods of time before that because of mental illness, we can just hang out or whatever and I don't have to feel like I have a dirty secret to hide.

That's good, he seems quite supportive! That's a good quality in a friend. :yep:

It was never a dirty secret at all, just sometimes admitting to other people that you're ill/have been ill is hard, because you also have to admit it to yourself (do you get what I mean?). Like coming to terms with the fact that I needed help took years (literally), because I didn't want to admit that something was wrong. But it doesn't make it dirty, same as having a broken leg isn't a dirty secret either.
Invisible illness is just hard to cope with because there's no visible "proof" of the illness per se, especially if you're doing better. Like, when people see me walking if I've been bed ridden the day before, they (sometimes) wrongly assume that I was lying about the pain I was in before. That I "faked" it to get out of something, or whatever. But that's not the case, same as your mental illness (or mine, or anyone's for that matter) is a dirty secret that we have to keep, that just further stigmatises it.

Being ashamed of it is a natural reaction, it's kinda similar to denial I guess. Wish it wasn't though, would stop a lot of hurt. But I guess that's why everyone needs to challenge mental health stigma. Could also be for protection too. :dontknow:

Sorry I rambled, probably doesn't even make sense. I'm a bit too dissociated to think coherently, apologies.

----------

Flatmates are having another get together (third night in a row [wtf?]) and I'm too spaced to go and tell them to be quiet, can't even walk without falling over/stumbling. Doubt I'll be sleeping tonight, fantastic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pathway
:console: PM me if you want to talk? :frown:

theres nothing to say, but thanks. hope you're okay :hugs:
Original post by ScaryScience
theres nothing to say, but thanks. hope you're okay :hugs:

I'll be ok, I think, I just don't know what's going on right now. :s-smilie:
Can't sleep, feel so bad again :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous #2
Can't sleep, feel so bad again :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Here if you need someone to talk to?
Original post by Pathway
:hugs: Here if you need someone to talk to?

It's ok, thanks though :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Huge hugs :jumphug:

(Also have we met? Apologies if we have - I have a memory like a sieve :colondollar: )

Yes, I think we've talked before on here but I haven't been around on TSR for the past couple of weeks sooo xD

*hugs*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by strawberrysnow
I was discharged from the hospital last night. I'm still very tired and stressed though - it's half term and I have mocks right after, but I have work experience for a couple of days in the half term so I don't have much time to revise, plus I'm just so exhausted and achy :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Don't push yourself too much, remember your health's the most important thing. :smile:
Having an interview tomorrow and still coughing ...
Hope you're safe, Scary :frown:

Original post by strawberrysnow
Yes, I think we've talked before on here but I haven't been around on TSR for the past couple of weeks sooo xD

*hugs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops sorry, I'm such a dipstick :colondollar: :getmecoat: :sadnod:
I hurt my shoulder almost 2 years ago and tore my rotator cuff.I had been waiting for surgery for 2 years.I am really nervous.
Fed up of everything :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm glad I get to go back to my therapist tomorrow, I haven't seen him for 3/4 weeks and i'm starting to get fed up again.

I'm so annoyed also, I had a job interview which I thought I went really well and they said they'd get back to me by Sunday and nothing :frown:

I just want it to be September so I can have a fresh start and move to university.