The Student Room Group

Why DONT you want to be well paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by will2348
To be honest just a fairly normal slightly above average lifestyle.

For example, my uncle has a quite nice house in London Zone 6 (so about 25 miles from the centre), 4 bedroom detached on a main road (not that glamorous?) and a probably slightly more than average expensive car with wife (paid for wedding) and three kids. He had all this at 30 and he was not earning anything what most people would consider a very high salary - maybe 40-50k, if that. And now he also has another similar house and more cars - again nothing much has changed for him salary wise.

But to achieve that today in the same timescale, you'd need to be on a very, very high salary. I mean to get a mortgage for the house alone you'd need to be on at least £150,000. He bought it for £180,000, it is now worth just under £1,000,000 just 20 years later.

So I'm not referring to anything special, just a normal middle class lifestyle. I think most people our age are in for a shock when they start working and suddenly realise what they thought was a good salary, actually goes nowhere at all - I mean, barely covering the basics if you have a family.

What I'm saying is in the past an above average salary (banker, lawyer, accountant etc.) would get you an above average lifestyle. Today, an above average salary gets you a normal lifestyle. And an average salary gets you the basics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is a world outside of London where it is very feasible to have all the things you listed without a super high salary. Fair enough if you don't want to move anywhere else but don't make out it's impossible to achieve. It's all down to the choices people make. A lot of people in London strive for a lifestyle based almost purely on pretention and this foolish notion of 'status'. I don't find this kind of attitude too dissimilar to buying a designer handbag worth a few grand for bragging rights and then complaining you struggle to pay the bills.

More to the point of the OP, like many people have said and what many kids here are naive to is the fact that free time and ultimately enjoyment are hard to come by with oppressive work commitments that come with a high salary. It's not just 'working overtime' during the week but being on call over the weekends and rarely being able to tune out your job, diminished quality of relationships etc. that all come with it. If people don't know how else to maintain a good lifestyle then that is a failing they have and perhaps they shouldn't look down on others as the 'unintelligent' ones.
Reply 301
Original post by Nomes89
There is a world outside of London where it is very feasible to have all the things you listed without a super high salary.

Could you just outline how you could do that? As someone who has recently hit 30 with earnings of £49,400 outside of London I don't see how it'd be achievable.

A four bed detached house would be 170k+ (so a deposit of 35k+)
An above average car - 25k? (so a deposit of 4k)
Wedding - 12k?
So upfront costs of £50k+ and thats ignoring the running costs of a two adults and three kids.

It is 'feasible' I guess, but highly unlikely - especially if in the mid-range of the 40-50k bracket and had student loan repayments.
Original post by Jay84
They are far from the only way. The only people I know who make over £100k a year are self employed. One is a builder who has got into property development, one has a wholesaling business and the other has a plumbing and heating business.

I think generally, if you look at the people who have the amounts of money we are talking about in this thread and haven't just inherited it, the vast majority are self employed or run their own businesses. There just aren't that many investment bankers/traders/corporate lawyers.

If your sole aim is just to make as much money as possible, the best bet is to position yourself to go down the entrepreneurship route with something that either has a pretty sure chance of making a decent income with the potential for scalability (e.g. a trade where you will be able to find work for yourself but with the opportunity to go self employed, get bigger contracts and take on staff) or focus your efforts on setting up some business alongside going to uni or getting into some job where you will get experience/training that you can fall back on if your business ideas don't pan out.

I think the reason that people on here are ignoring this and concentrating on banking and corporate law as the only way to make serious money is because the path into it is so much more formalised and easier to understand. That maybe so but at the same time it strikes me as being more unlikely and less imaginative.

If someone had told me the amount of money I could be earning with a trade I would have definitely considered getting an apprenticeship instead of going to Sixth Form. I worked in construction for a bit and a lot of people I went to school with are already sole traders doing quite well for themselves. I think people are just herded towards university, and for some absurd reason people look down on manual work as being beneath them. I'd rather have the freedom of being self-employed doing something I enjoyed than have to work 50 hour weeks in something I hated just for the sake of an extra few grand.
Original post by Quady

I live in a cheap property area and you'd be extremely hard pressed to find anything matching that criteria for 170k.
Reply 304
Original post by Swanbow
I live in a cheap property area and you'd be extremely hard pressed to find anything matching that criteria for 170k.

OK...

The easily exist
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43151626.html

My friend got a three bed detached in Scotland for £140k less than a year ago. I didn't want to say higher incase they said 'there are cheaper properties out there'.
Original post by Quady
OK...

The easily exist

My friend got a three bed detached in Scotland for £140k less than a year ago. I didn't want to say higher incase they said 'there are cheaper properties out there'.

Ha, they DEFINITELY don't live in Aberdeen. The houses in my neighborhood, fairly decent area, that match that are £300k+.

When I went to the International School, the houses there were upwards £500-600k for a 4 bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quady
OK...

The easily exist

Gosh that is cheap. Worksop is commutable distance to Sheffield as well so that isn't a bad price.

My friend just forked out £157k for a 2/3 bedroom semi-detached. Property prices really are quite varied it seems.
Reply 307
Original post by Princepieman
Ha, they DEFINITELY don't live in Aberdeen. The houses in my neighborhood, fairly decent area, that match that are £300k+.

When I went to the International School, the houses there were upwards £500-600k for a 4 bed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, but at leat you get free weed on trains from Aberdeen. Or at least I did last weekend...
Original post by Quady
No, but at leat you get free weed on trains from Aberdeen. Or at least I did last weekend...

Hm, haven't had that happen to me yet.

How come you were up here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 309
Original post by Princepieman
Hm, haven't had that happen to me yet.

How come you were up here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in Ellon for a Brewdog shindig.
Honestly? When I was earning a 'decent' wage, I had no time to actually ENJOY my wealth. I value work life balance VERY highly. I love the fact that my other jobs had an excellent work life balance, although I didn't earn as much I was far happier.
Original post by randomgeeza
Honestly? When I was earning a 'decent' wage, I had no time to actually ENJOY my wealth. I value work life balance VERY highly. I love the fact that my other jobs had an excellent work life balance, although I didn't earn as much I was far happier.

This! I know an acquaintance of myself who has had a good paid job with a very excellent wage by working 12 hours a day. He gave that up just to have more time for his family.
Original post by Kallisto
This! I know an acquaintance of myself who has had a good paid job with a very excellent wage by working 12 hours a day. He gave that up just to have more time for his family.

Good decision. I remember working and coming home, being able to barely have time to relax before I had to be in bed again, for months...I could only take the weekend off and even then I was constantly thinking and dreading the Monday. It just sucked.
Original post by randomgeeza
Good decision. I remember working and coming home, being able to barely have time to relax before I had to be in bed again, for months...I could only take the weekend off and even then I was constantly thinking and dreading the Monday. It just sucked.

If I am not mistaken, he has even worked abroad, as an engineer. That could be a reason too why he has quit this job. I understand that completely. It shows that money is not everything in working life.
Original post by Quady
Could you just outline how you could do that? As someone who has recently hit 30 with earnings of £49,400 outside of London I don't see how it'd be achievable.

An above average car - 25k? (so a deposit of 4k)
Wedding - 12k?
So upfront costs of £50k+ and thats ignoring the running costs of a two adults and three kids.

It is 'feasible' I guess, but highly unlikely - especially if in the mid-range of the 40-50k bracket and had student loan repayments.

A lot of people aren't your age and have sufficient time to save - are those upfront costs taking into account you are starting from scratch with no savings at all? Also nobody has three kids all in one go, this based on the assumption that no one yet has kids as most people here won't. Therefore a four bed property is not necessary from the get go, neither does the house need to be detached. That said I have friends who own homes with at least two bedrooms, with generous back gardens and decent yet not excessively expensive cars. (again I don't see the need for them to be new or expensive). Some of them don't earn much above £20k if that. Oh and London is just over an hour away on the train. People save up for all the things you highlighted across a period of time plus couples combine earnings so yes between two people it is especially affordable and no, I don't think most people would plan their wedding to coincide with the purchase of a car. By the time said couple has kids the deposits would've been paid assuming they're sensible and have kids when they're ready. I'm also from a big family so I'm well aware of running costs. Life happens in stages which I feel you've ignored to create an unrealistic and unattainable picture of the kind of lifestyle many people I know have.
Reply 315
Original post by Nomes89
A lot of people aren't your age and have sufficient time to save - are those upfront costs taking into account you are starting from scratch with no savings at all? Also nobody has three kids all in one go, this based on the assumption that no one yet has kids as most people here won't. Therefore a four bed property is not necessary from the get go, neither does the house need to be detached. That said I have friends who own homes with at least two bedrooms, with generous back gardens and decent yet not excessively expensive cars. (again I don't see the need for them to be new or expensive). Some of them don't earn much above £20k if that. Oh and London is just over an hour away on the train. People save up for all the things you highlighted across a period of time plus couples combine earnings so yes between two people it is especially affordable and no, I don't think most people would plan their wedding to coincide with the purchase of a car. By the time said couple has kids the deposits would've been paid assuming they're sensible and have kids when they're ready. I'm also from a big family so I'm well aware of running costs. Life happens in stages which I feel you've ignored to create an unrealistic and unattainable picture of the kind of lifestyle many people I know have.

Please bear in mind it was the poster 'will2348' who outlined the example of their uncle. You seem to have forgotten that. Or are you now saying (when confronted with todays capital requirement) that you were wrong earlier and it isn't feasible?

I asked if you could outline how they would save. How can they save that amount of cash by 30? Could you illustrate an example?
Original post by Quady
Please bear in mind it was the poster 'will2348' who outlined the example of their uncle. You seem to have forgotten that. Or are you now saying (when confronted with todays capital requirement) that you were wrong earlier and it isn't feasible?

I asked if you could outline how they would save. How can they save that amount of cash by 30? Could you illustrate an example?

Ok you've decided to be exacting, think it's quite obvious I meant owning a nice size house and car is attainable. The house being detached is such an irrelevance I feel you've missed the gist of what he was saying too. Even so, I think I've just shown it is possible seeing as the people I know have done as much as they have on half your salary and aren't above 25. With a little more money then yes they could afford a more expensive car and slightly bigger house in a few years if they wanted. Around £50K in 8 years is not insurmountable on a half decent salary and maybe I didn't see the part where the poster said his uncle did it all by himself, not sure that was stipulated. Again not sure that's relevant unless he weirdly has an express desire to be the sole provider.

Besides it is you who has missed my original point. £50k is in fact a possibility and is one only if you move out of a high cost area. People want sky high salaries because they're imagining the cost of a four bed in London. One way of saving money is moving out the area which effectively reduces most of your monthly outgoings.

You don't need it broken down any more than that.
Reply 317
Original post by Nomes89
Ok you've decided to be exacting, think it's quite obvious I meant owning a nice size house and car is attainable. The house being detached is such an irrelevance I feel you've missed the gist of what he was saying too. Even so, I think I've just shown it is possible seeing as the people I know have done as much as they have on half your salary and aren't above 25. With a little more money then yes they could afford a more expensive car and slightly bigger house in a few years if they wanted. Around £50K in 8 years is not insurmountable on a half decent salary and maybe I didn't see the part where the poster said his uncle did it all by himself, not sure that was stipulated. Again not sure that's relevant unless he weirdly has an express desire to be the sole provider.

Besides it is you who has missed my original point. £50k is in fact a possibility and is one only if you move out of a high cost area. People want sky high salaries because they're imagining the cost of a four bed in London. One way of saving money is moving out the area which effectively reduces most of your monthly outgoings.

You don't need it broken down any more than that.

Being the sole provider is pretty much the whole point of what they were saying. Not too long ago all of that could be done whilst being the sole provider, having duel income then would have given even more.

What have your mates under 25 and on under £25k got? A four bedroom house, above average car, paid for a wedding and are bringing up 2+ kids?

£50k in eight years is £520/month, lets call it £500. Take home pay of someone on £25k is £1,660 - saving 30% of your net pay is quite a savings rate you're suggesting.

I'm not imagining a four bed house in London (like will2348's uncle bought) I was suggesting somewhere like Worksop as you said it could be done out of London. But as you move to cheaper housing areas the likelihood of a job that pays as well reduces, there is a balance to be had there.
Reply 318
Original post by J-SP
I did it on a fairly "average" salary. Had a flat in zone 2 in London by the time I was 30 and that was on a single income. And that's with a fairly comfortable lifestyle (3 holidays a year, regular nights out).

Posted from TSR Mobile

With car and kids?

Although tbh, a zone 2 place on circa £28k is pretty impressive going on its own.
Reply 319
Because money is simply one of many resources we have in our lives - other resources might be time, people/relationships, knowledge. Generally in order to acquire lots of one you have to sacrifice at least some of the rest. It all depends on which you value most. When you're making megabucks working in banking or law (where if your work week is only 60 hours you count yourself lucky, and where you're constantly on call even if you're attending the dual event of your mother's funeral and daughter's wedding on Christmas Day), that money doesn't come free - you sacrifice time, relationships and quite likely your health too. Plus the banking industry can be unstable.

Basically not everyone wants to spend their twenties working all hours of the day and sacrificing their agency. The happiest people I've met are people who make a pittance but spend every day doing what they love (and are frequently their own boss) - ski/snowboard instructors, park rangers, wildlife handlers etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending