The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Offer Holders 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by benblack
Chemical Engineering, apparently there's a new engineering building just built so it should be pretty interesting, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Computer Systems Engineering, a decent mix of CompSci and Electronics.

Ah, decent. I kind of can't wait to go down, hopefully it'll be my insurance - if Edinburgh reject me that is.

Are you firming them?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 281
Original post by Princepieman
Computer Systems Engineering, a decent mix of CompSci and Electronics.

Ah, decent. I kind of can't wait to go down, hopefully it'll be my insurance - if Edinburgh reject me that is.

Are you firming them?

Not firming lancaster, but a definite insurance. Still haven't decided on my firm choice, thinking either Newcastle, Surrey or Loughborough.
Original post by Gro96
Not firming lancaster, but a definite insurance. Still haven't decided on my firm choice, thinking either Newcastle, Surrey or Loughborough.

I'd personally go Newcastle because the place is good fun and the university has an overall awesome rep with employers.

I'm firming Nottingham for an MSci (integrated undergrad + masters) in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence.
Reply 283
I'd personally go Newcastle because the place is good fun and the university has an overall awesome rep with employers.

I'm firming Nottingham for an MSci (integrated undergrad + masters) in Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence.

Ahh ok, cheers for the advice. Csci and Artificial intelligence sounds interesting, could that lead to a job in MI5 or something like it?
Original post by Gro96
Ahh ok, cheers for the advice. Csci and Artificial intelligence sounds interesting, could that lead to a job in MI5 or something like it?

Yeah, MI5, GCHQ, Google, Facebook etc. Pretty much any good tech firm or bank will consider it.

I'm looking into getting into strategy consulting/product managent, but who knows I might prefer more technical roles in the future. Definitely want to get an MBA and startup my own tech firm eventually though.

Have you thought about career stuff yet?
Yeah, MI5, GCHQ, Google, Facebook etc. Pretty much any good tech firm or bank will consider it.

I'm looking into getting into strategy consulting/product managent, but who knows I might prefer more technical roles in the future. Definitely want to get an MBA and startup my own tech firm eventually though.

Have you thought about career stuff yet?

Not that much really, i want to get chartered if i go into the engineering industry itself.. But haven't fully decided what to do yet
Hi im going to an applicant visit day on the 18th Feb and was wondering if lancaster sends an email close to the visit day date? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imaanicus
Hi im going to an applicant visit day on the 18th Feb and was wondering if lancaster sends an email close to the visit day date? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do - it was the day before for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hollywooddreamer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats great, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Hollywooddreamer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh another quick question.. can you think of any questions i should ask during the applicant visit day?
Im gonna ask the following:
1. How much construction will still be going on in the new student year?
2. Do you have to remove belongings from your accomodation every christmas and easter hols?
3. How many hours of lectures per week do biomedical scientists have?
4. Is there a conversion course on to medicine at lancaster?
5. Whats the workload like for biomed?
6. Is every ensuite a wetroom?
7. Is there a reading list for biomed before starting the course?

Haha just realised that my q list is quite extensive but if you think i should ask anything else pls say! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh another quick question.. can you think of any questions i should ask during the applicant visit day?
2. Do you have to remove belongings from your accomodation every christmas and easter hols?

Haha just realised that my q list is quite extensive but if you think i should ask anything else pls say! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are really good questions -can you tell me what answers you get to 1,2 and 6 please?

Hmm i can't really think of anything else.. i asked what studying abroad options they had for my course. I also asked for more info on the 2 extra subjects we had to take.. so maybe for your course you might want to ask these? :smile:
Ohh and i also asked for more info about which college i should pick - but thats cos im indecisive hahaa :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can answer a few of these!
2. It depends on the length of your accommodation let. I don't think you ever have to remove belongings at Christmas, but you can choose a 36 week let in some types of accommodation where you have to move out at Easter, but you don't have to pay for those weeks. Have a look here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/factsheets/ugsummary
3. I'm pretty sure they have 9 (I do a similar course) but it may be worth checking anyway.
4. I know that they have a premed course (http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/premedical-studies-certificate-of-higher-education-a900/) but that's for people with special circumstances and you would have to have applied specifically for it. Not sure about conversion from other courses!
6. I think all of the superior ensuites are wetrooms except Bowland, which has a bit more of a defined shower. Not sure about basic ensuites.
Offer for biological sciences, anyone else?
Reply 293
Original post by hjb2
Has anyone got an offer for BA Geography? :smile:

I'm going to firm my place doing BSc Geography.. I know it's not quite what you asked but no one seems to be doing Geography on here!
anyone got an offer for law?? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeh I did also got offer from Leicester and birmingham. Don't know which to go for though? Lancaster is the higher ranked but less established law school then birmingham and Leicester I believe. Lancaster seems pretty isolated from the rest of the uk? Any insights on uni life at Lancaster?
Right guys, Lancaster or an unconditional at Reading for my insurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1. How much construction will still be going on in the new student year? They said the library will be done by easter and most of the other construction near bowland should be done by october
2. Do you have to remove belongings from your accomodation every christmas and easter hols? No you dont
3. How many hours of lectures per week do biomedical scientists have? For biomed its 19hours :/
4. Is there a conversion course on to medicine at lancaster? Didnt get to ask this q :frown:
5. Whats the workload like for biomed? Lots :frown: but they have an open door policy so you can ask for help
6. Is every ensuite a wetroom? They said yes but the superior ensuite in bowland is not a wetroom
7. Is there a reading list for biomed before starting the course? A 4th yr biological student siad yes you get given them in the first week but appaz noone reads them so...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
My answers to the questions from the applicant visit day...

Posted from TSR Mobile
My answers to the questions from the applicant visit day...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending