The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Is kings UKCAT for 4 years? And what's their cut off? I'm doing GAMSAT but will wait to see if I need to do ukcat.
I just saw it on their website, I'm so surprised. There were so many great non science grads at my interview. It's a shame they've gone down this route. Yeah it's still 4 years and their UKCAT average is usually quite high
Original post by Absorbaloff
I just saw it on their website, I'm so surprised. There were so many great non science grads at my interview. It's a shame they've gone down this route. Yeah it's still 4 years and their UKCAT average is usually quite high

Probably to try and cut down the number of applicants. What's your background? Does anyone know their UKCAT cut off this year? I won't apy to UKCAT unis without 750 tops
Reply 183
Well that sucks! Hope they will accept computer science, although I have a funny feeling they mean life sciences. I'll email them for clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liam__
Well that sucks! Hope they will accept computer science, although I have a funny feeling they mean life sciences. I'll email them for clarification.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably most likely life sciences: bio Chen biomed physiology pharmacology nursing clinical sciences. But email for sure so you know!
Original post by HCAssistant93
Probably to try and cut down the number of applicants. What's your background? Does anyone know their UKCAT cut off this year? I won't apy to UKCAT unis without 750 tops

Yeah it's definitely to cut down the number of applications. I study a healthcare science at King's right now, and did I apply there but was unsuccessful which felt super ****ty. I think by science they mean any discipline, they seem really keen on engineers and mathematicians so can't really see them cutting out all sciences.
Reply 186
Hey all. May I join in? I'm thinking about applying to study GEM in 2016. I'm not sure which universities I will apply to yet, though the options are limited by my academic background (no science A levels, a BA in music, and a PhD in art history). I'll also be in the 'older' club - I'm 33. Good luck to everyone else that's applying!
Hey, just joining in as well. I'll be applying for GEM in 2016, I've been planning to do so ever since I was rejected for undergrad for 2013 entry! Currently junior honours science student at a RG uni.

I do have a slight issue though. I was considering Oxford, and I know their interviews are over 2 days in mid December. The problem is that if I got an interview (unlikely but theoretically possible!) that it might clash with my Semester 1 exams, which take place over 2 weeks in December of which the Oxford interviews are the Thursday and Friday of the last week. The chances that there would be a clash are pretty slim, but this past December I did have an exam on the Friday afternoon, and since my uni doesn't publish exam dates until after the application deadline I won't know if there's a clash until I've applied, and I also can't choose my elective courses to avoid those dates.

It would be awful to have to reject an interview because I had to sit an exam, but ultimately uni is the priority here. Do you think I should risk it? Are there ways round clashes like these?
Reply 188
I'm not sure whether it's a good idea or not, but could you contact Oxford to ask if they've ever had applicants in a similar position before, and if they've been able to accommodate it?
Reply 189
Original post by Fogalog
Is there anyone here undertaking the gamsat for the first time, with no science background?

I am! It's super-daunting. I did separate sciences at GCSE but nothing since then (I'm 33).

Your study group idea sounds like a great one, but sadly I'm at the other end of the country.
Original post by tjaldur
I am! It's super-daunting. I did separate sciences at GCSE but nothing since then (I'm 33).

Your study group idea sounds like a great one, but sadly I'm at the other end of the country.

Are you guys doing the Irish gamsat in March (4 weeks) or the september UK one?
Reply 191

September. Even that feels too soon :smile:

How about you?
Reply 192

I'm doing September. I think I could have sat in March and got a passing score - I toyed with the idea, but in the end I thought it would be too much pressure considering I'm in the final year of a coursework intensive degree and have a dissertation on top of that.
Original post by tjaldur
September. Even that feels too soon :smile:

How about you?

You've got bags of time!! I'm doing it in March, already did it in September last year so know what to expect. It's a brutal exam
Original post by liam__
I'm doing September. I think I could have sat in March and got a passing score - I toyed with the idea, but in the end I thought it would be too much pressure considering I'm in the final year of a coursework intensive degree and have a dissertation on top of that.

Fair enough Gives you longer to prepare with that in mind. I wanted my result before I applied in October
Reply 195
Fair enough Gives you longer to prepare with that in mind. I wanted my result before I applied in October

Doing it in March will definitely take the pressure off for you come application time. It also means you can look at last year's cutoff scores and strategically apply to places you're likely to get interviews at, whereas the September sitters will be applying blind.
Original post by liam__
Doing it in March will definitely take the pressure off for you come application time. It also means you can look at last year's cutoff scores and strategically apply to places you're likely to get interviews at, whereas the September sitters will be applying blind.

That's exactly my reasoning cos I did it blind in September. Didn't do well anyway cos I had about 4 working weeks to prepare, so wasn't expecting to do well. But the pressure will definitely be off! If I don't do great in it I'll try the UKCAT again but grad schools want shockingly high cut offs
Reply 197
That's exactly my reasoning cos I did it blind in September. Didn't do well anyway cos I had about 4 working weeks to prepare, so wasn't expecting to do well. But the pressure will definitely be off! If I don't do great in it I'll try the UKCAT again but grad schools want shockingly high cut offs

I feel like the GAMSAT is an exam where you get out what you put in, whereas the UKCAT seems to be more of an innate ability test that you can prepare for to a certain extent. I'm taking both, but I'm far more confident for the GAMSAT.
Original post by liam__
I feel like the GAMSAT is an exam where you get out what you put in, whereas the UKCAT seems to be more of an innate ability test that you can prepare for to a certain extent. I'm taking both, but I'm far more confident for the GAMSAT.

To some extent yes because UKCAT carried a big element of luck whilst gamsat you can revise for. What I learnt from gamsat first time round is it's more of a mental haul and test of mental strength than about recalling knowledge. The science is very little factual recall and a lot about dealing with what they give you. You are very pushed for time and can't dwell too long on questions you know you have no idea of answering. It's all about how you go about deciphering the paper.
Hi,

I'm a newly qualified nurse and work full time at UCLH in London, I also have work experience as a HCA and volunteering experience. Does anyone know if Kings are also no longer accepting adult nursing courses? I seen on the website they are only accepting Science course for 2016 entry.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest