The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samus2
Be picky with jobs - after all, you've got to work there for a year. I really had to weigh up the two jobs that I applied for - great schools with a great NQT programme, but, it also means moving back in with my parents.
In the end, I took it even though it means moving back in with my parents - saving money and having small things like not having to do my own food shopping is going to be incredibly helpful during my NQT year.

If you're unsure about a job - apply anyway! If you get invited to interview, you can look round the school and see if it feels right for you.

The first school I interviewed at, I was thinking part way through - what happens if I get offered the job and something better comes up? Which
,with hindsight, says that probably the school wasn't right for me. I didn't get that feeling at all on the second interview.

If you get an interview - go with your gut instinct. You should be given a tour of the school, you should get the opportunity to meet members of your potential department and you should get the opportunity to see the main staffroom.

There's more to just teaching than the curriculum and the pupils - there's also your colleagues and for me, having coffee with my potential department clarified that it was a school I would be happy in.

Great advice! I have been invited to interview in this exact situation... I have visited the school and would be happy there...but can't get another school out of my mind and would hate to miss my chance with them. Interview day should be very telling!

If I felt the school wasn't right for me on the day, though, I'd feel so awkward being like 'no, I don't want the job after all....'. Guess that's the teaching recruitment process though!
Original post by Esmeralda4
Great advice! I have been invited to interview in this exact situation... I have visited the school and would be happy there...but can't get another school out of my mind and would hate to miss my chance with them. Interview day should be very telling!

If I felt the school wasn't right for me on the day, though, I'd feel so awkward being like 'no, I don't want the job after all....'. Guess that's the teaching recruitment process though!

Have you received an interview with both schools?

On my first interview, I was asked 'If we were to offer you the job, would you accept it'? and at my second I was asked 'are you still interested in the position?'

I've heard contrasting advice from university tutors/teachers/fellow trainees about what to say in that situation. I was told that if you're not entirely sure, it's better to be honest and to say 'I like the school and thank you for inviting me to the interview, but, if I were to be offered the position, I would require a day to think about it' and if a school doesn't offer you the job based on that, they're probably not the right school.

If a school really wants to hire you, they will allow you that time to think about a big decision.
Original post by Samus2
Have you received an interview with both schools?

On my first interview, I was asked 'If we were to offer you the job, would you accept it'? and at my second I was asked 'are you still interested in the position?'

I've heard contrasting advice from university tutors/teachers/fellow trainees about what to say in that situation. I was told that if you're not entirely sure, it's better to be honest and to say 'I like the school and thank you for inviting me to the interview, but, if I were to be offered the position, I would require a day to think about it' and if a school doesn't offer you the job based on that, they're probably not the right school.

If a school really wants to hire you, they will allow you that time to think about a big decision.

The deadline for the other school isn't until the day before my interview (interview is that week) so this is all complete speculation right now and pretty silly, I know. But I'd kick myself if I did get invited and had already taken the other job... I think I'm just stressed!
Original post by Esmeralda4
The deadline for the other school isn't until the day before my interview (interview is that week) so this is all complete speculation right now and pretty silly, I know. But I'd kick myself if I did get invited and had already taken the other job... I think I'm just stressed!

Hm, it could still be worth attending the interview just for the experience!

At the interview, if they ask you about the position, just be honest and say 'thank you very much for inviting me to interview, but I don't feel like this school is right for me'

There will be other schools you'll love and other schools you'll be happy in even if you don't get an interview for the one you really like!
Original post by Samus2
Hm, it could still be worth attending the interview just for the experience!

At the interview, if they ask you about the position, just be honest and say 'thank you very much for inviting me to interview, but I don't feel like this school is right for me'

There will be other schools you'll love and other schools you'll be happy in even if you don't get an interview for the one you really like!

Yep I'm going for the experience, mainly, and know it's presumptious to think I'd be offered the job. Also want to see the school again and get more of a feel for it.

Thanks for the advice!
Say a lesson went terribly and you felt the children were really confused about everything...

What would your next steps be? Would you have a rethink of the plan and then teach it again?

Just looking for the 'correct' answer
Original post by Striving92
Say a lesson went terribly and you felt the children were really confused about everything...

What would your next steps be? Would you have a rethink of the plan and then teach it again?

There probably is no right answer, but when it happened with me, I found it was because I did not explain it properly/use the right language or did not involve them enough in the input.

Speak to your mentor. When this happened to me I was able to plan and teach it again.

When this happened to me, it turned out to be because I didn't think the steps through enough... the leaps I was expecting the children to make between concepts were too big. I needed to bridge it better if you know what I mean.
HALF TERM PEOPLE!!!!!!! Thank god, so been looking forward to this crash out!!
Anyone else in uni over half term :dry:
Original post by xxstace123xx

What?! Man, that's so unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So happy it's half term, needed the break!

I've got my second out of three masters essays due after the break and I've got a friend visiting me thursday-sunday.. gonna be a busy few days!
Original post by xxstace123xx

Yep, me too. We don't get half terms :frown:
Original post by alabelle

That's just mean!

Posted from TSR Mobile
But if your placement schools have half term but you don't, are you back in lectures for a week or something? Find that quite strange that no everyone gets half term. We always got half term.
Original post by Sportycb
But if your placement schools have half term but you don't, are you back in lectures for a week or something? Find that quite strange that no everyone gets half term. We always got half term.

I never did! Went in half term for some silly lectures. But tbf it wasn't as full on as say the beginning of the year at uni. Maybe a couple hours and only three days in the week. Plus it allowed you to catch up with others on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh, I would not be keen on that. It is a well needed break, that's for sure. Besides, I am normally busy in half terms anyway, with essays and planning, so it is nice to have the time to catch up. I'm on half term now but in the library doing next week's essay -_- .
Original post by alabelle

Original post by qwerty_mad
I never did! Went in half term for some silly lectures. But tbf it wasn't as full on as say the beginning of the year at uni. Maybe a couple hours and only three days in the week. Plus it allowed you to catch up with others on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

D'you not get reading weeks at all!?

The primary PGCE at my uni don't get half term but they do get reading weeks.
Original post by Samus2
D'you not get reading weeks at all!?

The primary PGCE at my uni don't get half term but they do get reading weeks.

Not on my PGCE. Every half term we were at uni but during the two week holidays there was no uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending