The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngryJellyfish

Modest spoils from this year's Telford Expo

Is...is that you in the middle pointing out your latest purchases?

:nyoron:

I finally finished Campione last night, again being a series I started late last year. It was passable.
Original post by Truered
Is...is that you in the middle pointing out your latest purchases?

:nyoron:

I had a hard time carrying them both home. :sadnod:

Original post by Truered
I finally finished Campione last night, again being a series I started late last year. It was passable.

I was surprised to see that on sale at the expo, didn't expect it to be popular enough to make it to the UK. I was almost curious enough to buy it, even though I dropped it straight away when it first starter airing, but went for Giovanni's Island instead.
I had a hard time carrying them both home. :sadnod:

I was surprised to see that on sale at the expo, didn't expect it to be popular enough to make it to the UK. I was almost curious enough to buy it, even though I dropped it straight away when it first starter airing, but went for Giovanni's Island instead.

Guy plus multiple girls often seems a good pick to be licensed.

Actually as I went to type this I remember how surprised I was that no UK company picked up Queen's Blade, bewbs usually get chosen to pay for the triple-A or niche licenses :awesome:

Photos

Nice outfit, but it looks difficult to mmove in lol.
Original post by Dr Tenacious
Nice outfit, but it looks difficult to mmove in lol.

It's a bit heavy, I'll probably be keeping my arms at my sides when not posing for pictures. :p:
Reply 8546

Photos

Wow the coat is pretty good. I really struggle at making costumes. I am currently putting together the Persona 5 protagonist phantom outfit and Johnny from MGS as my girlfriend likes to do Meryl. Both are currently okay though i am having issues with the P5 coat and shirt. Both of these are for kitacon in the summer. By gf is a big fan of the thing and i found it fun last year. Booze and everyone wearing cosplay is a very fun combo :laugh:

Well in anime regards I have been having a very fun time watching Durarara. I can't help but find Celty adorable haha
Reply 8547
Ok, an update on what I'm watching as it's been a while.

I'll start off by saying that I'm currently on the second season of Kuroko's Basketball after marathoning through the first and I can easily see why the series is rated so highly. While it doesn't quite top Hajime no Ippo or Major for me, it's definitely right up there as one of the best sport anime I've seen. The premise is simple and the focus has remained on the basketball, which is fine by me. I suppose, like all good sport shounen, its strength lies in its characters. All of them are likeable, even though the large majority have not received that much development.

Moreover, Kuroko's Basketball is slightly different to some of the other sport anime I've mentioned because whilst Kuroko is the protagonist of sorts, he shares this with Kagami. There's also very much an emphasis on the team itself, which is different from Hajime no Ippo and even Major, which focuses on a team sport as well, where Goro was clearly the protagonist and the focus was largely on him and his progression. Admittedly, I take pleasure in seeing a protagonist that excels above all others, which is why Kuroko's Basketball put me off at the start. Kuroko clearly has his talents, of which the other characters acknowledge, but he's far from overpowered. Anyway, without spoiling too much, I'm enjoying the series a lot so far.

I'm also following my weeklies. I'll try to keep my comments brief...

Absolute Duo is nothing special, but it's enjoyable enough on a weekly basis. Your typical action harem series. At least the main protagonist is not annoying. He's actually a nice guy with a backbone, which seems to be more of a trend these days with male protagonists. He's not even prone to perversion, even though he still finds himself in awkward situations with his female peers.

I'm a bit behind on Aldnoah Zero by two episodes. The story is still all over the place in terms of believability, but the production remains good. It's not quite Guilty Crown levels yet. I feel like the series could potentially save itself by the end, so I'm keeping it on.

Dog Days" is what it is and I enjoy it for that. It's very episodic. There's no real plot progression, but that's fine because it's fun to watch all of the characters get up to all sorts of antics in this magical world they reside in. As it's a few seasons in too, there's no need for many introductions either. I would like a bit more progression on the romance front, but that's about it.

Isuca is ok. It's far from the best thing I'm watching right now, but it's good enough to watch alongside everything else. I don't really have much more to say about this one.

I consider Kuuou Mujin no Fafnir to be very much in the same vein as Absolute Duo. They both share a male protagonist that's likeable and has a backbone, and they're surrounded by a bunch of cute females in an academy setting. I'd say this series is slightly worse than Absolute Duo, though, and this is purely down to personal preference. The whole dragon premise is a bit cliched and shallow, but whatever, I went into this knowing it wouldn't offer anything groundbreaking, so my expectations have been met.

The second season of Log Horizon is remaining interesting. I'm appreciating the development on the world they live in and the many revelations that have come to light. The characters are continuing to develop in equal measure too, which is a bonus. This current arc isn't quite matching up to the first in terms of its grandiosity, but it's still proving fun to watch.

One Piece is One Piece. It rarely fails to bore me and this current arc is right up there with the best of them. We're probably close to the climax too, so I'm looking forward to watching some of the battles that will ensue in the coming episodes.

Parasyte is easily one of the best weekly series I'm watching right now. It's a testament to how good the manga is (which I've read) and Madhouse's adaptation of it, which has been very faithful. The intensity has not dropped at all and I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

Saekano is a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't expecting much going into this one, but it's definitely delivering, both in terms of its production and characters. Sure, the latter are hardly original, and the premise is far from innovative, but developing a game together is a nice twist.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break completes the trio with Fafnir and Absolute Duo as my action romance harem dosage for the season. Out of the three, this one is probably the worst, and this is largely because I like the characters less. I find the whole spell chanting aspect amusing, though.

Nanatsu no Taizai has gone under the radar for many, but it's actually a very competent battle shounen series. The characters are likeable and amusing to watch together. If this was long running, which sadly it won't be, it could have potentially stood among the best of this genre.

Thinking about it, Shinmai Maou no Testament could probably stand alongside the other three action romance harem series I'm watching. It follows the same formula, just with a slightly different stance. Not much to say about this, except that it's enjoyable enough for me to watch each week, but it's certainly not something I'd recommend or watch again.

The second season of Tokyo Ghoul is a bit of a weird one. I understand that it's deviated away from the manga, which was fine in my book, but the direction it has taken is confusing. Without delving into the plot in fear of spoiling, things have progressed, but in a roundabout way that has meant that the characters we were expecting to see have not really been focused on at all, including our male protagonist, which is a bit strange. Regarding the latter, he has hardly said anything at all since this season has began and we're six episodes in. Hopefully, this'll change and everything will make sense soon.

Ok, I'm watching a few others, but I'm losing the stamina to write much more, so I'll stop here. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aiko
Ok, an update on what I'm watching as it's been a while.

I'll start off by saying that I'm currently on the second season of Kuroko's Basketball after marathoning through the first and I can easily see why the series is rated so highly. While it doesn't quite top Hajime no Ippo or Major for me, it's definitely right up there as one of the best sport anime I've seen. The premise is simple and the focus has remained on the basketball, which is fine by me. I suppose, like all good sport shounen, its strength lies in its characters. All of them are likeable, even though the large majority have not received that much development.

Moreover, Kuroko's Basketball is slightly different to some of the other sport anime I've mentioned because whilst Kuroko is the protagonist of sorts, he shares this with Kagami. There's also very much an emphasis on the team itself, which is different from Hajime no Ippo and even Major, which focuses on a team sport as well, where Goro was clearly the protagonist and the focus was largely on him and his progression. Admittedly, I take pleasure in seeing a protagonist that excels above all others, which is why Kuroko's Basketball put me off at the start. Kuroko clearly has his talents, of which the other characters acknowledge, but he's far from overpowered. Anyway, without spoiling too much, I'm enjoying the series a lot so far.

I'm also following my weeklies. I'll try to keep my comments brief...

Absolute Duo is nothing special, but it's enjoyable enough on a weekly basis. Your typical action harem series. At least the main protagonist is not annoying. He's actually a nice guy with a backbone, which seems to be more of a trend these days with male protagonists. He's not even prone to perversion, even though he still finds himself in awkward situations with his female peers.

I'm a bit behind on Aldnoah Zero by two episodes. The story is still all over the place in terms of believability, but the production remains good. It's not quite Guilty Crown levels yet. I feel like the series could potentially save itself by the end, so I'm keeping it on.

Dog Days" is what it is and I enjoy it for that. It's very episodic. There's no real plot progression, but that's fine because it's fun to watch all of the characters get up to all sorts of antics in this magical world they reside in. As it's a few seasons in too, there's no need for many introductions either. I would like a bit more progression on the romance front, but that's about it.

Isuca is ok. It's far from the best thing I'm watching right now, but it's good enough to watch alongside everything else. I don't really have much more to say about this one.

I consider Kuuou Mujin no Fafnir to be very much in the same vein as Absolute Duo. They both share a male protagonist that's likeable and has a backbone, and they're surrounded by a bunch of cute females in an academy setting. I'd say this series is slightly worse than Absolute Duo, though, and this is purely down to personal preference. The whole dragon premise is a bit cliched and shallow, but whatever, I went into this knowing it wouldn't offer anything groundbreaking, so my expectations have been met.

The second season of Log Horizon is remaining interesting. I'm appreciating the development on the world they live in and the many revelations that have come to light. The characters are continuing to develop in equal measure too, which is a bonus. This current arc isn't quite matching up to the first in terms of its grandiosity, but it's still proving fun to watch.

One Piece is One Piece. It rarely fails to bore me and this current arc is right up there with the best of them. We're probably close to the climax too, so I'm looking forward to watching some of the battles that will ensue in the coming episodes.

Parasyte is easily one of the best weekly series I'm watching right now. It's a testament to how good the manga is (which I've read) and Madhouse's adaptation of it, which has been very faithful. The intensity has not dropped at all and I'm looking forward to watching the rest.

Saekano is a pleasant surprise for me. I wasn't expecting much going into this one, but it's definitely delivering, both in terms of its production and characters. Sure, the latter are hardly original, and the premise is far from innovative, but developing a game together is a nice twist.

Seiken Tsukai no World Break completes the trio with Fafnir and Absolute Duo as my action romance harem dosage for the season. Out of the three, this one is probably the worst, and this is largely because I like the characters less. I find the whole spell chanting aspect amusing, though.

Nanatsu no Taizai has gone under the radar for many, but it's actually a very competent battle shounen series. The characters are likeable and amusing to watch together. If this was long running, which sadly it won't be, it could have potentially stood among the best of this genre.

Thinking about it, Shinmai Maou no Testament could probably stand alongside the other three action romance harem series I'm watching. It follows the same formula, just with a slightly different stance. Not much to say about this, except that it's enjoyable enough for me to watch each week, but it's certainly not something I'd recommend or watch again.

The second season of Tokyo Ghoul is a bit of a weird one. I understand that it's deviated away from the manga, which was fine in my book, but the direction it has taken is confusing. Without delving into the plot in fear of spoiling, things have progressed, but in a roundabout way that has meant that the characters we were expecting to see have not really been focused on at all, including our male protagonist, which is a bit strange. Regarding the latter, he has hardly said anything at all since this season has began and we're six episodes in. Hopefully, this'll change and everything will make sense soon.

Ok, I'm watching a few others, but I'm losing the stamina to write much more, so I'll stop here. :tongue:

What's wrong with aldnoah zero s2? Except for the main character I really don't like him. The guy has no personality or development the only two I like is the lt marito and slaine specifically because the latter had a lot of development and wasnt just written as a bad ass from the off. Not to mention the reason he's on the verys side is because Inaho shot him trying to kill him when he could have let him speak to te princess to join them. Wordt thing is I guarantee the princess likes Inaho and that's gonna crush him lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8549
Original post by Numan786
What's wrong with aldnoah zero s2? Except for the main character I really don't like him. The guy has no personality or development the only two I like is the lt marito and slaine specifically because the latter had a lot of development and wasnt just written as a bad ass from the off. Not to mention the reason he's on the verys side is because Inaho shot him trying to kill him when he could have let him speak to te princess to join them. Wordt thing is I guarantee the princess likes Inaho and that's gonna crush him lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I find the plot somewhat nonsensical. Things tend to happen out of convenience or for the sake of shock factor, only to be brushed aside once it's happened. But yeah, I agree that Inaho lacks development and is very much a 'Gary Stu' character, which I'll admit I'm not entirely adverse to for that reason alone. On the other hand, whilst Slaine has received development, I can't say I'm a big fan of his or the decisions he has made, even though I can understand why he has, to an extent. Lastly, I definitely agree that Asseylum likes Inaho and I believe Slaine realises this, even though he's probably in denial about it. I'm not sure Asseylum herself will agree to his decisions this season, though. :tongue:
Finally finished The iDOLM@STER. The last two episodes were a great way to end the series. On the whole it was a decent show but overloaded with too many characters that weren't given a chance to shine.
Original post by Aiko

Root A feels like it's going to be a collection of scenes the animators thought it would be cool to bring to life, with no real story in between them. Having read the manga, I have to say what a shame it is that they've done the series like this. Tokyo Ghoul is a really excellent story but they've just left out so much of it. That being said, I do think it's gone downhill since chapter 126 and the sequel manga.

I just hope it gets the FMA Brotherhood treatment one day.
Original post by Aiko

Update

I'm not watching most of these, but agree with you on Aldnoah.Zero, Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul (though I'm finding the CCG characters interesting, the change in focus from Kaneki felt weird).

I've also resumed Nanatsu no Taizai recently, it's gotten a lot better now that more sins have joined the party, and there are recurring enemies who are (almost) as strong as them. :biggrin:
Currently watching Parasyte (kiseijuu) its great , others say its better than Tokyo Ghoul personally I don't think so. Saw the trailer for the live action film, looks ****.
[h="3"]
Also watched half the 1st episode of Fate Zero ... don't know if i should bother to continue.
Reply 8555
Original post by tunde100
Also watched half the 1st episode of Fate Zero ... don't know if i should bother to continue.

Zero does have a particularly slow start with that long, talkative episode. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the show, but even I think it improves a bit after that, so unless you actively hated it I'd suggest maybe it is worth giving it a little more time.
Original post by QHF
Zero does have a particularly slow start with that long, talkative episode. I'm not the world's biggest fan of the show, but even I think it improves a bit after that, so unless you actively hated it I'd suggest maybe it is worth giving it a little more time.
Yeah i give a try,once I get stuck into a Anime I have to finish (Or go on Wiki and find out the ending).
Original post by tunde100
Yeah i give a try,once I get stuck into a Anime I have to finish (Or go on Wiki and find out the ending).

WATCH IT, it's amazing! Finish the 1st episode, you'll be hooked after.
Reply 8558
Original post by xDave-
Root A feels like it's going to be a collection of scenes the animators thought it would be cool to bring to life, with no real story in between them. Having read the manga, I have to say what a shame it is that they've done the series like this. Tokyo Ghoul is a really excellent story but they've just left out so much of it. That being said, I do think it's gone downhill since chapter 126 and the sequel manga.

I just hope it gets the FMA Brotherhood treatment one day.

Yeah, having read the manga as well (although, not up to date), I agree that they should have just stuck with it. However, as I mentioned, I wasn't adverse to a deviation in the plot when it was first announced, mainly because the mangaka himself was involved, but yeah, I think we're not alone in thinking it hasn't turned out well.

I'm not watching most of these, but agree with you on Aldnoah.Zero, Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul (though I'm finding the CCG characters interesting, the change in focus from Kaneki felt weird).

I've also resumed Nanatsu no Taizai recently, it's gotten a lot better now that more sins have joined the party, and there are recurring enemies who are (almost) as strong as them. :biggrin:

Although I don't mind CCG characters, I definitely prefer the Anteiku gang. Here's to hoping the focus will shift in their favour soon, perhaps when Kaneki becomes more involved in the plot.

As for Nanatsu no Taizai, it probably helped that I didn't pick this up straightaway. Six episodes had already aired, which I sped through, so most of the main characters were introduced to me fairly quickly. Oh, and I love Hawk. He's hilarious and cute. His seiyuu, Misaki Kuno, does a great job.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dr Tenacious
WATCH IT, it's amazing! Finish the 1st episode, you'll be hooked after.
I shall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest