The Student Room Group

4 year Wellcome Trust PhD in Integrative Neuroscience Interview

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I was wondering if any of you know anything about the interview for the 4-year programme at Bristol by any chance? I have an interview this week and am feeling super nervous! Apparently it's only 20 mins but any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Congrats to all of you that got places at UCL, Oxford, Cardiff! I didn't apply for any of those as despite not having much bioinformatics background this is was what drew me to the Bristol programme over the others as I'm really interested to learn. Do you think I might be at a disadvantage despite not having background in this area?
Original post by issle
So I've been invited for an interview for the Wellcome Trust 4 year PhD programme at Cardiff Uni, and wondered if anyone else has been through an interview for one of these PhD's?

I've been for two PhD interviews in the past (unsuccessful both times because I was competing with Masters Grads - and I'm only BSc, hence applying for this four year studentship), but I feel this interview process is going to be different, and I was wondering if anyone here has also been invited for interview or has done one before?

I mean, the others have been a simple hour interview, a little on the topic but mainly on personal competencies, and I can do that. This one is over two days, informal lunch/dinner invites, campus and lab tours, a formal interview flung in there too, but it's already sounding worlds apart, and considering how competitive Wellcome Trust Phd's are I'm feeling like this interview is going to be a little more intense.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone can offer experiences of these interviews or is preparing for one and has a little more of an idea of what to expect that I do...?

If you're going from a BsC to a PhD without doesthat mean you have to do four years?
Original post by neurostudent
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you know anything about the interview for the 4-year programme at Bristol by any chance? I have an interview this week and am feeling super nervous! Apparently it's only 20 mins but any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Congrats to all of you that got places at UCL, Oxford, Cardiff! I didn't apply for any of those as despite not having much bioinformatics background this is was what drew me to the Bristol programme over the others as I'm really interested to learn. Do you think I might be at a disadvantage despite not having background in this area?

Thanks! Yeah I was really interested in the Bristol one too but I really really wanted to go somewhere else for a bit so I didn't apply. I have my experience from the UCL and Oxford ones but even those two were wildly different so I'm not sure how much help that will be! I, however, have met a couple of the Bristol neural dynamics PhD, if you want I could ask someone on the program? No guarantees she'll reply in time though :s-smilie:

Original post by elmosandy
If you're going from a BsC to a PhD without doesthat mean you have to do four years?

The program is four years anyway :smile:
Original post by punctuation
Thanks! Yeah I was really interested in the Bristol one too but I really really wanted to go somewhere else for a bit so I didn't apply. I have my experience from the UCL and Oxford ones but even those two were wildly different so I'm not sure how much help that will be! I, however, have met a couple of the Bristol neural dynamics PhD, if you want I could ask someone on the program? No guarantees she'll reply in time though :s-smilie:

Oh okay

That would be really helpful actually! I wasn't sure if I would be OK to go ahead an email a current student (their emails are on the website) because if they are involved in the interview process (we have a lunch with them) then I didn't want to look like I was fishing for an unfair edge. Thank you for offering to ask your friend for me! That would be great :smile: How did your interviews go? How long was the actual interview for both of those? Have you had any offers if you don't mind me asking? Good luck if you haven't heard yet! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
That would be really helpful actually! I wasn't sure if I would be OK to go ahead an email a current student (their emails are on the website) because if they are involved in the interview process (we have a lunch with them) then I didn't to look like I was fishing for an unfair edge. Thank you :smile: How did your interviews go? How long was the actual interview for both of those? Have you had any offers if you don't mind me asking? Good luck if you haven't heard yet! :smile:

Go ahead and email current students, it might actually be more helpful :smile: I emailed two current students for my UCL interview and it was realllyyyyy helpful. They're not involved in the interview process, as they are not on the admissions team, they're just there to ask questions.

I hadn't realised they were interviewing this late, I had talked to a UCL applicant who had an interview for the Bristol one in late January...

My interviews went fine, I enjoyed the UCL much more though :tongue: I got an offer for UCL which I accepted so I'll be there this autumn :smile: Both were 30 minutes.
(edited 9 years ago)
That would be really helpful actually! I wasn't sure if I would be OK to go ahead an email a current student (their emails are on the website) because if they are involved in the interview process (we have a lunch with them) then I didn't want to look like I was fishing for an unfair edge. Thank you for offering to ask your friend for me! That would be great :smile: How did your interviews go? How long was the actual interview for both of those? Have you had any offers if you don't mind me asking? Good luck if you haven't heard yet! :smile:

ASAP if you haven't already, I would email to ask the names of the interviewers and some current students. Look into the interviewers' interests. That way you will know what kind of questions they will ask.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!
ASAP if you haven't already, I would email to ask the names of the interviewers and some current students. Look into the interviewers' interests. That way you will know what kind of questions they will ask.

Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the great advice I got in touch this morning and feel much less nervous now :smile: I got some advice on what might be asked and confirmed who the interviewers were so this was a really good idea! Also before my interview I have a lunch with some of the current students too so this should be a good way to start the day! Congratulations on getting the UCL place! One of my best friends is going there too for neuro! What a coincidence!
I'll definitely let you know how it goes :smile: I can't believe it though I managed to get through the whole winter without getting ill and this weekend I got the worst cold and am sneezing every 3 seconds. Just what I need for an interview lol!
Thanks for the great advice I got in touch this morning and feel much less nervous now :smile: I got some advice on what might be asked and confirmed who the interviewers were so this was a really good idea! Also before my interview I have a lunch with some of the current students too so this should be a good way to start the day! Congratulations on getting the UCL place! One of my best friends is going there too for neuro! What a coincidence!
I'll definitely let you know how it goes :smile: I can't believe it though I managed to get through the whole winter without getting ill and this weekend I got the worst cold and am sneezing every 3 seconds. Just what I need for an interview lol!

Excellent, good luck! I can give you more specific advice if you like over PMs but it seems you have that turned off? :confused: Anyway I'm glad it helped!

Yeah I had 'lunch' (scare quotes because it wasn't like a meal, more like sandwiches) with current students for both my WT interviews :smile: It's a nice way to calm down, I think it helped with my UCL one as I saw how normal the students were haha. So it seemed a bit more attainable.

Let me know who you meet! I'd be curious if I know them :tongue:

Thanks! Ooh for the four-year one or a different program? I wonder if I'll see them around!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,
I am anticipating on applying and I am determined that I will get on the program even if I have to apply for few years until that happens.. I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking..

Do you know what is the applicant to acceptance ratio for the 4 year Neuroscience, PhD? (I expect it to be quite competitive).. Also how many funded places are offered per year? I know some PhDs starts at different times and I was wandering if it is let's say 5 studentship for each start point or in total? Do they short-list /interview after the application deadline or sort of first-come-first-served basis? Also, is it a sort of group interview, lets say 4 - 5 applicants or is individual?

Also, on the basis of your experience (People who got an interview and or a place) do I actually stand a chance with the following experience:
-1st class BSc Psychology, in top 10 of the class, got a high first on my dissertation which was in cognitive neuropsychology (original research that I designed with minimal support, used an eye-tracker) .. I took some classes in neuroscience and clinical neuropsychology but in general I don't have very strong background in neuroscience.. Also, I did Advanced statistics and am REALLY confident with statistical analysis..
-5 months as a Research Assistant working on a project with minimal supervision, I was involved in ethical application, data analysis, collection, questionnaire development, write up of the draft, expecting a publication soon
-Clinical Trials Research Assistant - it was every other day for 3 months administering psychometric test, currently on hold till next phase..
-I helped out with Quantitative Production analysis on pre-existing data..
-I am an ad-hoc reviewer for an undergraduate neuroscience journal and also have some voluntary experience working at a conference..
-Expecting to have a publication soon in the BPS student Newsletter
-I have experience in working with elderly with dementia for 6 months, care and rehabilitation and I have also been working with learning disability, mental health, autism and dementia in residential care for almost 1.5 years..

Thanks
Original post by drucilla
x

Everyone starts at the same time. The first year is a structured programme that won't allow anything else. I am on the UCL one and the applicant ratio for my year was 360 applicants to six places. I imagine it's lower but similar for Cardiff. It is an extremely competitive programme so no way is it first come first served - after the application deadline they will contact a subset (30) to interview and choose five from those. Interviews are in January. The interview is individual, I've never heard of a group interview for academia outside medicine...

For the Cardiff one you need to make sure you have an interest in neuroscience, not just neuropsychology. You need to understand the basics of cellular neuroscience and/or have some intention to work outside psychology bounds. I am a psych grad and so is my friend who is currently on the Cardiff programme. So it's not impossible for psych grads to get on but you should know that the neuroscience training from psychology is not the same as what most of the field works on. The Cardiff course is integrative neuroscience, not 'cognitive' purely. Look at the Cardiff departmental website and figure out what their strengths are. For instance I've been told they're very good at behavioural neuroscience (which is not the same as behavioural testing in psychology, but similar).

Your 1st class degree, top 10 ranking, 5 months as an RA and stats prowess will be good points. Make sure to emphasise your stats proficiency in the personal statement as it's one thing psych grads can truly capitalise on! A 'publication' in the BPS student newsletter (I assume you mean PsychTalk, which I used to be editor-in-chief of) will not win you too many points as it's not a peer-reviewed scientific journal, but may help a tiny bit.

PS if you really want to know the applicant ratio I suggest you email the programme director to ask. By FOI they're required to tell you...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
Hi everyone. I am writing this to ask your opinion about what are my chances. I am applying for the Integrative Neuroscience PhD at Cardiff.
-I finished a 5 years degree in Psychology (in Spain) with a 2:1 equivalency in UK.
-I have a masters in Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience (distinction).
- 3 years of research experience (1 and a half with a contract with a university)
-2 published papers and I have attended a lot of meetings presenting posters and giving talks.
- I am in Cardiff right now doing a 3 months research visit with a professor here
- I have good referees (The professor at Cardiff and my supervisor for the 3 years working in Spain)
What do applicants in UK have and need for this kind of programmes? Is my experience enough?
I would appreciate any suggestions..
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ynnna
Hi everyone. I am writing this to ask your opinion about what are my chances. I am applying for the Integrative Neuroscience PhD at Cardiff.
-I finished a 5 years degree in Psychology (in Spain) with a 2:1 equivalency in UK.
- 3 years of research experience (1 and a half with a contract with a university)
-2 published papers and I have attended a lot of meetings presenting posters and giving talks.
- I am in Cardiff right now doing a 3 months research visit with a professor here
- I have good referees (The professor at Cardiff and my supervisor for the 3 years working in Spain)
What do applicants in UK have and need for this kind of programmes? Is my experience enough?

People can't really say if it's enough, as it depends on other applicants and that course in insanely competitive. You have good experience though, so you might as well apply but look out for other PhD schemes as well. :smile:
Original post by ynnna

You have a good profile but I don't believe in the American tradition of asking people to 'rate' your application. As mentioned it really depends on your competition and performance at interview. The person with the best CV won't make it if their interview performance sucks. It also depends on if your research was relevant.
Reply 54
Original post by TeaAndSugar
People can't really say if it's enough, as it depends on other applicants and that course in insanely competitive. You have good experience though, so you might as well apply but look out for other PhD schemes as well. :smile:

There are not many I can apply because of the residence criteria (I haven't been living in UK for the last 3 three years). As a European citizen I would qualify only for the fee funding for most of the PhD. Thank you !
anyone applied for the 4 year PhD Translational Neuroscience ? if so - got any answers about interview?
Original post by karlinskit
anyone applied for the 4 year PhD Translational Neuroscience ? if so - got any answers about interview?

The WT programmes don't tend to interview until mid January at earliest so hold your horses!
True story as for most of them :smile: but one exceptional is the translational neuroscience in Edinburgh. anyway outcomes of applications were already provided; thanks!

Ps In what programme are you studying now? enjoying your time there?
True story as for most of them :smile: but one exceptional is the translational neuroscience in Edinburgh. anyway outcomes of applications were already provided; thanks!

That's a new programme for 2016 so yeah, not surprised they're being a bit different. I'm doing the UCL wellcome trust programme, it's a very good programme so yes I'm enjoying it, up to my ears in work at the minute though!

PS how was your outcome? :smile:

Don't ever sell yourself short, I thought UCL was way too competitive to even think about getting in, but here I am. :smile: Definitely, the application process was so stressful! Sorry to hear the outcome wasn't great, did you get an interview?

For my first rotation I'm using computational models to look at decision-making processes in humans, if you want to hear more open up PMs and I can tell you privately. UCL is very biological so you don't have to worry... they actually make you do a molecular or cellular rotation in addition to a systems or cognitive one. I'm from psychology, so it's not easy but if you're determined you can get it done. Anyway with research it's unlikely that people have done similar things before anyway, so you start out a bit clueless but you catch up. I dunno, I haven't done any really biological rotations yet (those are next) so I can't really comment, but basically you just need to work hard. Biology is never too difficult to catch up with, just need to read some textbooks. Don't worry about it. Until then you need to show in interviews that you have the neuroscience knowledge, so make sure you brush up on the basics. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest