The Student Room Group

Liverpool-does it get a bad rap unfairly?

I haven't been since I was little, they say it's going up as regards employment etc and doing better than other northern cities. I don't like how it would be subsumed by The Beatles, and I don't much like 'you'll nevr walk alone' and all that sentimental stuff, but besides that it kind of excites me, the waterfront looks good and there seems to be some good stuff to do there, music scene, nightlife and all. Plus the ferry. Sure Manchester has been cultural capital of the north but that's gone IMO, I think it might be swinging back.

Anyway is there anyone who lives there now, has been recently, can give me their verdicts 'cos I want to go.
Hi there!

Liverpool is amazing. It was made the Capital of Culture in 2008, now as you mentioned, has awesome nightlife, music scene, also now has a fantastic shopping centre. Go back!

Cheers,

Matthew
I went to Liverpool for a couple of days last summer, and while I did personally not like some parts of the city itself, Albert Dock is beautiful as is the huge China Town gate which is the largest of its kind outside of China, or the largest in Europe. One or the other. As the above poster said, it is pretty good for shopping, I do agree on that. Hope you enjoy your visit if you do go back :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't live there but as my parents both lived and went to uni in Liverpool we go there a lot. I think it's a great city! They've got everything - the Albert docks, Liverpool 1, Beatles, Slavery Museum, both cathedrals, lots of museums/art galleries if you like that sort of thing, Theatre, plus the city itself is really pretty and I like a Scouse accent :wink:
It got Capitol of Culture for a good reason! I've been there with school/family/friends/youth group and I've never had or seen any trouble.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I went their once and was thoroughly disappointed - a Friday afternoon/evening and hardly a soul around, nothing open after 6, row upon row of boarded up houses
Original post by jelly1000
I went their once and was thoroughly disappointed - a Friday afternoon/evening and hardly a soul around, nothing open after 6, row upon row of boarded up houses

Sounds like it's worst era..how long ago? Strange that because it can't be like that in the student areas.
Do you know what, if they just got rid of Ferry Cross the Mersey, and you'll never walk alone, not that Liverpool fans will do that it's be awesome. I just those derided or mawkish elements I don't like, I like the other side to scousers which is independent, funny and confident. Not sure about having too much of the city based on the beatles either, I know it's a museum but meh
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Sounds like it's worst era..how long ago? Strange that because it can't be like that in the student areas.

I can't remember exactly, certainly before I was looking at unis so before 2009/10 but not much before- maybe 2007? It was July so most of the students would have gone home.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Do you know what, if they just got rid of Ferry Cross the Mersey, and you'll never walk alone, not that Liverpool fans will do that it's be awesome. I just those derided or mawkish elements I don't like, I like the other side to scousers which is independent, funny and confident. Not sure about having too much of the city based on the beatles either, I know it's a museum but meh

How come you dislike the mawkish elements ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Charlotte15
How come you dislike the mawkish elements ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno, like I say, I like the other side to them, the humour, anti-establishment feel, ingenuity, politics, accent, etc, I like if people are more human than down south, but I don't like when it crosses into 'mawkish'. That word by definition is bad as far as I can tell. I only mean I don't like you'll never walk alone too much, and ferry cross the mersey it's probably a bit overused, but then so are cockney and mancunian songs I don't like. I don't mean that it does often. It's off the top of my head really, don't take me too literally. It's only down to a few random tastes I guess, not an insult.
(edited 9 years ago)
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest