The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelfox
Anyone who thinks Henderson is better than Wilshere should be banned from watching football

The problem may be that you're not watching enough football?
lol at Cesc giving a Puma interview in which he incessantly talks about Arsenal

Guy is still in denial, cant have it both ways ****. Excellent news that gooner Cesc will genuinely be devastated with the hate he'll receive when he comes 'home' in a few weeks. :biggrin:
It might be a bit unfair comparing Wilshere to Henderson at this time. Let's be real here, on current form or more recently Henderson is better than Wilshere atm. Whilst I think this is true I also believe it's unfair to disregard Wilshere also, at his best this guy can do wonders but its seems as though he's much too frequently plagued with injury.

Another thing worth considering, what alternatives does Liverpool have to Henderson? He's their best player in that position, is there any competition?(<---- Not a 100% on this one correct me) Whereas with Arsenal, there's easily 1 or 2 others that can easily replace Jack in the starting line up. Hence why we see more of Hendo than of Wilsh.

Essentially, it's not really right to give Wilshere such a hard time at this moment. Let him come back from injury, get a few games together then judge then.
Original post by Zerforax
Rather have Carrick/Barry/Milner/Henderson instead of Wilshere for England.

Ramsey is better than Wilshere too.

Well this is why England are generally an embarrassment, the one midfielder with the technical ability to compete against the Germans/Spanish and he's out in favour of the Barrys/Carricks of this world....

In terms of Henderson, he's got a better mentality than Wilshere atm but you know deep down he's just a workhorse who is basically at max potential. Nowhere near as much talent as JW

People dont like Jack personally, fair enough, but that blinds them to what remains a very young talented midfielder with all the time in the world to reach his potential. Tell me what Pirlo and Iniesta were doing at his age for instance?

Not that people care very much about the facts, but Jack Wilshere has also had a genuinely good season up until his injury and should get another extended run out in the team before season's end.

And end of the day, when Jack is celebrating his Ballon D'Or win with a few lines in the cubicle of a Zurich bathroom(that's Switzerland, not my bathroom), you'll all be eating your words :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Iniesta in 2007 was already playing for Barca week in, week out. Pirlo in 2002, same for Milan. So there.
inb4 'Arsenal defence mechanism' :rolleyes:
Original post by Zürich
Well this is why England are generally an embarrassment, the one midfielder with the technical ability to compete against the Germans/Spanish and he's out in favour of the Barrys/Carricks of this world....

In terms of Henderson, he's got a better mentality than Wilshere atm but you know deep down he's just a workhorse who is basically at max potential. Nowhere near as much talent as JW

People dont like Jack personally, fair enough, but that blinds them to what remains a very young talented midfielder with all the time in the world to reach his potential. Tell me what Pirlo and Iniesta were doing at his age for instance?

Not that people care very much about the facts, but Jack Wilshere has also had a genuinely good season up until his injury and should get another extended run out in the team before season's end.

And end of the day, when Jack is celebrating his Ballon D'Or win with a few lines in the cubicle of a Zurich bathroom(that's Switzerland, not my bathroom), you'll all be eating your words :wink:

He's had less than 4000 minutes of league football in the last 4 seasons (3420 minutes is a full season). He really hasn't kicked on and improved or shown consistency in the past 4 years. He's only 23 so like you say, he's got time to develop but Arsenal fans confuse his "potential" with his actual ability which is delivered week in and out on the pitch.

I think it's more likely that Wilshere will retire before 30 than win a Ballon D'Or.
Zerforax is wrong with Wilshere. His ability on the pitch is above all of England's central midfielders, his problem is clearly injuries. Barry in the team ahead of Wilshere is lol worthy too. Lets make Englands midfield slow again with a mixture of slow lateral passing and long balls shall we?

Then when Barry retires in 2016 England end up with the same problem they already had before with the lack of a consistent deep lying playmaker because they put up a guy who clearly isn't good enough for a team that has any ambitions of winning the competition.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Zerforax is wrong with Wilshere. His ability on the pitch is above all of England's central midfielders, his problem is clearly injuries. Barry in the team ahead of Wilshere is lol worthy too. Lets make Englands midfield slow again with a mixture of slow lateral passing and long balls shall we?

Then when Barry retires in 2016 England end up with the same problem they already had before with the lack of a consistent deep lying playmaker because they put up a guy who clearly isn't good enough for a team that has any ambitions of winning the competition.

Yes injuries are what are holding Wilshere back but you're only as good as your consistent performances. Wilshere hasn't had that for 3.5 years. You can't say someone is talented if they're never around to show the talent. Wilshere comes back, plays himself towards fitness, looks good for a couple of games and then is crocked again.

Fair enough Barry has been poor this season but he did well last season. You think Pirlo should retire from playing for Italy because he's slow too? :rolleyes:

The England team don't play/train together often enough and it's not going to be helped by having someone who is perma-crocked and can't be relied upon.

I'd still pick Henderson/Milner/Carrick ahead of Wilshere for the foreseeable future.
Original post by Zerforax
Yes injuries are what are holding Wilshere back but you're only as good as your consistent performances. Wilshere hasn't had that for 3.5 years. You can't say someone is talented if they're never around to show the talent. Wilshere comes back, plays himself towards fitness, looks good for a couple of games and then is crocked again.

That's true, think it's a problem with Arsenal rather than just with Wilshere. People like Demba Ba and Remy have seen to have career ending problems yet when they have gone to Chelsea have had relatively little injury troubles. The problem is simply Arsene Wenger overusing him and rushing him from injury.

Fair enough Barry has been poor this season but he did well last season.

He did well last season but he's still not good enough for England if they have any ambitions bar for getting past the group stages.
You think Pirlo should retire from playing for Italy because he's slow too? :rolleyes:

Barry does not have anywhere near the technical ability of Pirlo. Just stop.

The England team don't play/train together often enough and it's not going to be helped by having someone who is perma-crocked and can't be relied upon.

Khedira was injured for a large part of last season, was benched, came in the world cup and put in some good performances with his team, same for Schweinsteigger who's been struggling a lot with injury. What's your point?
I'd still pick Henderson/Milner/Carrick ahead of Wilshere for the foreseeable future.

Milner hasn't played much centrally in recent times but I would play this in games where England will concede possession of the ball. Sterling in behind Rooney and Sturridge/Welbeck.

Wilshere at this moment doesn't seem like he can impose such a big game for England so no point having him there for "a piece of magic" he'll be fine sooner or later though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Seems Alexis is starting to fade now as jam predicted but we'll be able to tell in a week or two.
Wilshere hasn't had the same effect on the England squad as, say Sterling has, for example. He's 23, granted, but if he's staking a claim to be 'the best midfielder England has' he needs to have made a much more significant impact & be a dead certainty to play & influence the game (when he's fit)
Original post by Numan786
Seems Alexis is starting to fade now as jam predicted but we'll be able to tell in a week or two.

lol at 'as jam predicted'. No one expected him to maintain a world class level of performance all season. Every player has highs and lows throughout the season.
(edited 9 years ago)

Poor guy is knackered, probably broken his back from carrying the Arsenal team all season.

Now Ozil & Walcott are fit and Cazorla is in good form he can be rested for certain games.

Lol I wouldn't give Jam credit for that, it's quite a foreseeable thing. He wasn't going to go full speed ahead all season now was he.

Wanna brown nose him some more?

It's obvious Alexis was going to fall at some point: he played more than 50 games for Barca last season, had a decent run in the World Cup, and has featured in the vast majority of our games so far this season.
Original post by Stalin
Wanna brown nose him some more?

It's obvious Alexis was going to fall at some point: he played more than 50 games for Barca last season, had a decent run in the World Cup, and has featured in the vast majority of our games so far this season.

If I didnt say he predicted it he would have just come and said he did

Posted from TSR Mobile
We got Manchester United ffs
OMFG :angry: :angry: :angry:
#Wemberlin is all but over :frown:

However we all thought the same before City vs Wigan last year :smile:

Latest