The Student Room Group

Princepieman's Trek to Nottingham

Let The Journey Begin!

Right, hey guys!! I'm princepieman!

The Goal:

AABa

My goal is to get the following:

Advanced Higher Physics - A band 1 (85%+)
Advanced Higher Maths - A or A band 1
Advanced Higher French - B
Higher Computing - A band 1

The Plan:

Monday
Free Period (8:40am - 9:30am): Physics Question Papers

Self - taught period (1:45pm - 2:40pm): French Reading Papers/Questions

After school (6pm - 9:30pm): Maths Questions, French Essay Research and Outlining.

Tuesday:
Recording Studio (8:40am - 9:30am): Maths Textbook Review

After work (7:30pm - 9:30pm): Physics Poster Creation, Refining Physics theory notes

Wednesday
Free Period (8:40am - 9:35am): Physics Questions - focus on explanations.

Free Period (9:40 - 10:25): Computing note taking - focus on weak areas

Free Period (11:50 - 12:45): French Listening papers

After school (6pm - 9:30pm): Maths Class review + unanswered questions, French Essay Drafting, French practice Discursive Essays

Thursday
Free Period (8:40am - 9:30am): Physics Question Papers (Investigation period)

Friday
Free Period (8:40am - 9:30am): French Discursive Essay practice

Recording Studio (9:40am - 10:25am): French Coursework

After school (6pm - 9:30pm): Pretty lax, some anime watching probably :tongue:

Saturday

After work (7:30pm - 9:30pm): Maths Questions, Physics Questions
Sunday:

Afternoon (1pm - 4pm): A full past paper (any subject)

Evening (5pm - 7pm): Physics notes review, French Essay drafting.

Prelims:

Maths - 28th Jan
Physics - 30th Jan
French - 4th Feb
Computing - 6th Feb

Let's do this!! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Very organised, keep us updated on how you stick to it :yep:
This post is to confirm that Princepieman's grades have been verified! :banana: :banana2: :banana:
So, I had my Advanced Higher Maths prelim today; I want to cry. :frown:

The paper itself wasn't too difficult, it's just the fact that our teacher - essentially - screwed us over by including Integration by parts. We haven't finished the entirely of unit 2 so my soul kind of died inside when I saw the questions.

Virtually 23 marks (out of 100) that no one in our class could get!

If he removes those questions, I should be looking at a B or barely scraping an A. If not, I'll be at around a C/low B or even (gasp) a fail.

Next exam is: AH Physics. Should be a good one, it's the only subject that I'm fairly confident of an A in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
******UPDATE******

So, I had my Advanced Higher prelim yesterday - I feel it went pretty well! :biggrin:

The questions I knew came up and it was the first time I had ever finished a physics paper before the time limit!!! Spent a solid 12 minutes checking over everything before leaving.

On the other hand, I did miss out 12 marks worth of questions, due to not even knowing how to attempt them. That's a point to improve on, problem solving questions.

My AH maths teacher has decided to teach us integration by parts (finally!) So we'll be resitting those kind of questions next week.

I've got AH French this Wednesday and I am dreading the writing! I feel my vocabulary and complex grammar is lacking, so I'll make an effort to learn some key phrases until then.

Higher Computing prelim is this Friday, a quick theory recap should be enough to secure an A.
Hey, good luck man I hope your exams go well :smile:
Original post by Katniss15
Hey, good luck man I hope your exams go well :smile:

Thanks! :biggrin:

Hope all goes well for you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks x
Right so, got 70% in my advanced higher physics prelim!!!!! Yaasssss!!!! The other two guys, who both got an A and B last year, got a D and a C respectively - soooo happyyy right now!!!!

That said, it was still a B because the boundary was 73% - ah well in my head it's an A :tongue:.

Still not looking forward to AH French tomorrow, i'm not feeling to comfortable with the writing but I feel I can manage a B.

Maths question retake - teacher forgot to teach us the whole unit before the prelim - on Thursday, it's mainly integration by parts. Should be simple enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Found out my results for the AH Maths prelim - got 65%! A solid B!! In fact, I was looking at the grade boundaries for AH Maths last year and an A was 63% - so, technically got an A :P

Already an improvement from last year..

Computing was a standard A, not really surprised there! Hopefully with coursework that will get pushed to an A band 1.

I'm very sure I've only managed a C in the AH French prelim. :frown: It's warranted though, with not being taught and not putting enough emphasis on the subject, I've been struggling. I need some tips on learning complex grammar and vocabulary, any takers???

Just started my investigation for Physics, it'll be on the Moment of Inertia of a Flywheel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Princepieman
Found out my results for the AH Maths prelim - got 65%! A solid B!! In fact, I was looking at the grade boundaries for AH Maths last year and an A was 63% - so, technically got an A :P

Already an improvement from last year..

Computing was a standard A, not really surprised there! Hopefully with coursework that will get pushed to an A band 1.

I'm very sure I've only managed a C in the AH French prelim. :frown: It's warranted though, with not being taught and not putting enough emphasis on the subject, I've been struggling. I need some tips on learning complex grammar and vocabulary, any takers???

Just started my investigation for Physics, it'll be on the Moment of Inertia of a Flywheel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

have you started the theory for your physics investigation? I did a similar investigation and I'm not sure if I've put enough background physics in

well done on your maths mark btw :redface: that's amazing
This may sound like a really stupid question and I apologize:

What is an SQA and what is it equivalent to?
Original post by ah4p
have you started the theory for your physics investigation? I did a similar investigation and I'm not sure if I've put enough background physics in

well done on your maths mark btw :redface: that's amazing

Yeah, I've started collecting some research on the theory.

How I'm going about it is:
Describing what the theory is plainly
Mentioning its history and how it connects to other theories (Newton's law etc.)
Deriving the general equation of moment of inertia
Talking about applications like KERS and how it's used in industry.

I think that should suffice for the background theory.

Thanks!! :biggrin: I just need to push myself to get an A now!

How are you finding Maths and Physics so far?
Reply 13
Yeah, I've started collecting some research on the theory.

How I'm going about it is:
Describing what the theory is plainly
Mentioning its history and how it connects to other theories (Newton's law etc.)
Deriving the general equation of moment of inertia
Talking about applications like KERS and how it's used in industry.

I think that should suffice for the background theory.

Thanks!! :biggrin: I just need to push myself to get an A now!

How are you finding Maths and Physics so far?

ahh thank you I've included most of that but I hadn't thought to menton its applications

I'm sure you will :smile:

they're both really hard but I do enjoy them
I've done half of my maths and half of my physics prelim so far and they went ok. I've got the second half of physics tomorrow :s-smilie: I should find out my marks in the next couple of weeks

have you done all your prelims?
Original post by BryonyG98
This may sound like a really stupid question and I apologize:

What is an SQA and what is it equivalent to?

SQA stands for Scottish Qualifications Authority.

The SQA is the national exam board in Scotland. Just like you guys have: Edexcel, AQA, OCR etc. We just have the one that is run by the government.

The national qualifications roughly line up to those in England like this:

Advanced Higher = A2 modules
Higher = AS modules
National 5 = GCSEs

Advanced Highers and Highers are seperare qualifications, unlike the current form of A-levels.

In reality, Advanced Highers are more difficult than A2 because:

a) it isn't modularised there is one exam that tests what you've learnt in the year

b) there aren't as many resources available for those taking these, largely because most universities in Scotland only require Highers for entry and

c) you are mostly left on your own if you go to a state school as you aren't the priority for teachers
SQA stands for Scottish Qualifications Authority.

The SQA is the national exam board in Scotland. Just like you guys have: Edexcel, AQA, OCR etc. We just have the one that is run by the government.

The national qualifications roughly line up to those in England like this:

Advanced Higher = A2 modules
Higher = AS modules
National 5 = GCSEs

Advanced Highers and Highers are seperare qualifications, unlike the current form of A-levels.

In reality, Advanced Highers are more difficult than A2 because:

a) it isn't modularised there is one exam that tests what you've learnt in the year

b) there aren't as many resources available for those taking these, largely because most universities in Scotland only require Highers for entry and

c) you are mostly left on your own if you go to a state school as you aren't the priority for teachers

Wow, that explains a lot, if Unis only require Highers, what is the point in Advanced Highers? Or do you need them to get in to English Unis?
Original post by ah4p
ahh thank you I've included most of that but I hadn't thought to menton its applications

I'm sure you will :smile:

they're both really hard but I do enjoy them
I've done half of my maths and half of my physics prelim so far and they went ok. I've got the second half of physics tomorrow :s-smilie: I should find out my marks in the next couple of weeks

have you done all your prelims?

You're welcome! Yeah, applications are always good - Physics is an applied subject after all!

Hopefully, Unit 3 for Maths looks horrendous though..

I know what you mean, I love the subjects I'm doing this year whereas last year I couldn't really say that, I find it keeps me motivated.

Nice, how come your school are splitting them up? We did the first 2 units for Maths and Unit 1 + Unit 3 for Physics.

Yeah, I finished my prelims two weeks ago.I'm just taking it easy this half-term break and finishing up coursework, essays and investigation write ups - yet to do any actual experiments.
Original post by BryonyG98
Wow, that explains a lot, if Unis only require Highers, what is the point in Advanced Highers? Or do you need them to get in to English Unis?

Yeah, I applied to 4 English unis and 1 Scottish so most of them require Advanced Highers. You could also use them to get into 2nd year entry at Scottish unis - Scottish degrees are 4 years long - as 1st year is basically what has been covered in Advanced Highers.

I'm like the complete opposite to everyone at my school, mostly because the free tuition argument doesn't bother me that much.
Yeah, I applied to 4 English unis and 1 Scottish so most of them require Advanced Highers. You could also use them to get into 2nd year entry at Scottish unis - Scottish degrees are 4 years long - as 1st year is basically what has been covered in Advanced Highers.

I'm like the complete opposite to everyone at my school, mostly because the free tuition argument doesn't bother me that much.

Do you study Advanced Highers in Year 13? (17-18)
Reply 19
You're welcome! Yeah, applications are always good - Physics is an applied subject after all!

Hopefully, Unit 3 for Maths looks horrendous though..

I know what you mean, I love the subjects I'm doing this year whereas last year I couldn't really say that, I find it keeps me motivated.

Nice, how come your school are splitting them up? We did the first 2 units for Maths and Unit 1 + Unit 3 for Physics.

Yeah, I finished my prelims two weeks ago.I'm just taking it easy this half-term break and finishing up coursework, essays and investigation write ups - yet to do any actual experiments.

ah I'm jealous of you :L

I think its because we have double periods which last two hours so rather than taking us out of other subjects they split all exams longer than two hours over two double periods a week apart, we don't get study leave at prelims :frown:

did you have the P&N one for physics?

Quick Reply