The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Nottingham Firmers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EMassey
That was in a full board hall. I lived in Cripps last year. It's also not subletting. That would mean someone is paying the individual who 'rents' the room.

They obviously don't want people staying over every week for three nights but it is university, you are allowed guests.

It is a form of subletting a room, and I don't believe they allow this. Imagine if every person in the hall did this, the hall would not be able to cope with the numbers of strangers wondering around for three days.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Theriverboatsong
It is a form of subletting a room, and I don't believe they allow this. Imagine if every person in the hall did this, the hall would not be able to cope with the numbers of strangers wondering around for three days.

Fair enough, I'm just tell you what I was told last year since I was in the university halls last year. This is what I was told in my briefing on my first day. I lived next door to the resident tutor for my cluster of blocks and I'm sure he'd have let me know if it was a problem when both myself and my friends had guests. They want people to sign guests in for fire reasons. So feel free to doubt me, I just want you to know my experiences. Also what are the chances of every person in the hall having a guest on the same day? Any 'strangers' in the hall don't get food provided, they have to pay £5 for dinner in the hall and this is policed by using your university card to show to the kitchen staff when you get your meals.

This is the exact line from my hall agreement last year:
You will also be permitted to have a temporary guest stay with You in accordance with the rules of the Hall.

:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EMassey
Fair enough, I'm just tell you what I was told last year since I was in the university halls last year. This is what I was told in my briefing on my first day. I lived next door to the resident tutor for my cluster of blocks and I'm sure he'd have let me know if it was a problem when both myself and my friends had guests. They want people to sign guests in for fire reasons. So feel free to doubt me, I just want you to know my experiences. Also what are the chances of every person in the hall having a guest on the same day? Any 'strangers' in the hall don't get food provided, they have to pay £5 for dinner in the hall and this is policed by using your university card to show to the kitchen staff when you get your meals.

This is the exact line from my hall agreement last year:

:smile:

I was expecting like 3 days allowed for the entire year. That would stop people abusing the system.
Original post by Theriverboatsong
I was expecting like 3 days allowed for the entire year. That would stop people abusing the system.

I can 100% guarantee that it's much more than 3 days for the entire year. I think that people will always abuse the system but they appreciate the fact that we are adults and we can have guests and still be responsible. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EMassey
You can have guests stay with you. The only requirement is that you sign them in at reception. They can stay a maximum of three nights a week but they obviously don't want you to take the piss. Although to be fair my next door neighbour's parents lived with them in their room for at least the first month however that's just weird...

My boyfriend stayed in my room with me on a number of occasions (although I never actually signed him in at reception).

Ahh thank you, I have the same thing with my boyfriend and just wanted to know if they're strict about it. He'd probably only stay for 3 nights every couple of weeks anyway :smile:
Original post by mel1995
Ahh thank you, I have the same thing with my boyfriend and just wanted to know if they're strict about it. He'd probably only stay for 3 nights every couple of weeks anyway :smile:

No problem :smile: I completely get it. My boyfriend lived like 3 hours away at the time so he kind of did the same (2/3 nights every 2/3 weeks). They aren't strict at all. They don't come and do room checks or anything stupid. The only thing to be wary of is the morning the cleaners come...just because they are happy to clean while you stay in bed but it could be a bit awkward if there's two of you in bed and the cleaner just wiping your sides down and hoovering around. All you have to do is say you don't want the cleaning done that day and sign something :P
Original post by EMassey
No problem :smile: I completely get it. My boyfriend lived like 3 hours away at the time so he kind of did the same (2/3 nights every 2/3 weeks). They aren't strict at all. They don't come and do room checks or anything stupid. The only thing to be wary of is the morning the cleaners come...just because they are happy to clean while you stay in bed but it could be a bit awkward if there's two of you in bed and the cleaner just wiping your sides down and hoovering around. All you have to do is say you don't want the cleaning done that day and sign something :P

Hahaha that sounds so awkward i'll keep it in mind! :P
Also he'd be driving up to see me, is there anywhere he could park during those days? Im hoping to live at broadgate
Original post by mel1995
Hahaha that sounds so awkward i'll keep it in mind! :P
Also he'd be driving up to see me, is there anywhere he could park during those days? Im hoping to live at broadgate

On site at Broadgate Park is slightly difficult as you need a permit but he can probably park in one of the roads close by because there's plenty of on street parking nearby that's free. :smile:

You may not have the cleaner issue in BGP as I think you have to clean your own rooms there! :P
Original post by EMassey
On site at Broadgate Park is slightly difficult as you need a permit but he can probably park in one of the roads close by because there's plenty of on street parking nearby that's free. :smile:

You may not have the cleaner issue in BGP as I think you have to clean your own rooms there! :P

Thats okay I suppose :smile: what did you study there?
Original post by mel1995
Thats okay I suppose :smile: what did you study there?

I'm in my second year at the moment studying History and Politics. What have you applied to study? :smile:
Original post by EMassey
I'm in my second year at the moment studying History and Politics. What have you applied to study? :smile:

cool, do you like the uni? :smile:
Im going to study Genetics
Do catered halls not have an oven ? Also are there any semi catered halls (that just serve dinner)? :s I'm so confused about accommodation!! I need to apply soon I guess? I've already firmed nottingham and have an unconditional so I am definitely going there in September...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mel1995
cool, do you like the uni? :smile:
Im going to study Genetics

Awesome :biggrin: yeah I love the university. I'm 100% sure I made the right choice when I firmed it!

Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
Do catered halls not have an oven ? Also are there any semi catered halls (that just serve dinner)? :s I'm so confused about accommodation!! I need to apply soon I guess? I've already firmed nottingham and have an unconditional so I am definitely going there in September...

Catered halls on campus only have a mini pantry that has a microwave, kettle and toaster. The only hall that just serves dinner is Bonington Hall which is just for Sutton Bonington students (vet med, animal science, plant science, nutrition etc).
Original post by EMassey
Awesome :biggrin: yeah I love the university. I'm 100% sure I made the right choice when I firmed it!

Catered halls on campus only have a mini pantry that has a microwave, kettle and toaster. The only hall that just serves dinner is Bonington Hall which is just for Sutton Bonington students (vet med, animal science, plant science, nutrition etc).

would you say self catered or catered is more social? :smile:
Original post by mel1995
would you say self catered or catered is more social? :smile:

Catered probably because you have meals with up to like 350 other people so if you hate your block or corridor mates then there's plenty of other people to talk to but with self catered you are kinda stuck with the 5-7 people you live with if you know what I mean.
Reply 115
Hi guys. I have a interview for adult nursing in a week or so. If any of yous have had a interview for this, is it possible you could give me any tips please? It has not gone well so far as i have had no offers, and this is my first choice and last interview. Thank youuuu :smile:
Hey guys - can anyone give me any idea on weekly living costs in Nottingham after I've paid for halls?
I'm going to be in Sutton Bonington so get dinner, but have no idea what to budget for everything else.
Help needed pleeeease!!!! :confused:
Original post by RockQueen96
Hey guys - can anyone give me any idea on weekly living costs in Nottingham after I've paid for halls?
I'm going to be in Sutton Bonington so get dinner, but have no idea what to budget for everything else.
Help needed pleeeease!!!! :confused:

It depends how frugal you are. If you bulk buy, go to Lidl/Aldi/Asda and are sensible, then you can eat very cheaply. Things like pasta are so cheap but if you decide to go gourmet and splurge on Marks and Spencers' dinners or Waitrose then your money won't go very far. You really don't have to spend more than £20 a week on food particularly since you get dinner so I'd probably say you could get away with up to £10 a week for food.

Nights out are completely up to you, depends on how many drinks you buy at the place or how far you want to go in taxis etc. Entry for most night clubs is about £5/6 in Nottingham but you'll be further from Nottingham so taxis will be slightly expensive or you could go to Loughborough which is a bit closer.

It's a very hard question to answer as everyone is different.
Original post by Muggins95
September doesn't seem so long bearing in mind exams are just 4 months away for me :O Are you doing A Levels? I work as a HCA for a care agency, and I'm a relief carer in a separate nursing home :biggrin: What about you?

Aw bless ya I hope they go well for you... Do you live far from the uni? No I'm not doing A-levels, I have just swapped my university course from Veterinary Nursing so it's gonna be fairly new! :smile: Ah that sounds good are you enjoying it?.... I've applied to be a HCA at derby hospital and I'm currently getting work experience in care homes :biggrin:
Original post by RosieMarie
Aw bless ya I hope they go well for you... Do you live far from the uni? No I'm not doing A-levels, I have just swapped my university course from Veterinary Nursing so it's gonna be fairly new! :smile: Ah that sounds good are you enjoying it?.... I've applied to be a HCA at derby hospital and I'm currently getting work experience in care homes :biggrin:

That's cool, here's hoping the care home experience helps us out! I haven't really investigated, but I'm hoping to join the hospital's HCA bank and work a bit in the theory blocks. How come you switched to humans? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending