The Student Room Group

Higher computing 2014/15 coursework penny's decking

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by INTit
Thanks for the input some of it I disagree with though.

XML is easily read and edited using a text editor JSON is not and theirs no real performance benefit to be gained by using JSON in this case.

I don't see where I have getters and setters. I have some methods prefixed with get but they perform logic so would not be suitable as properties.

The select case statement was intended to be added to by the OP as they implemented the rest of the functionality.

Lots of methods doing one thing was intentional - it doesn't call 4 routines to display an error message. Sure get rid of invalidInput that one was redundant but I'd keep the rest.

First one, fair enough.

But uhm you do use getters and setters sub routines. you did setDeck

You could use a property for that.

Also, you have functions that do not return a value. There's so much I could point out, but I'm new to this forums so the layout is just so long to work with. I could re-code what you have coded from scratch and show you a better way to do some of the things you did if you want. Maybe you could learn a thing of two.
Reply 21
Original post by Async
First one, fair enough.

But uhm you do use getters and setters sub routines. you did setDeck

You could use a property for that.

Also, you have functions that do not return a value. There's so much I could point out, but I'm new to this forums so the layout is just so long to work with. I could re-code what you have coded from scratch and show you a better way to do some of the things you did if you want. Maybe you could learn a thing of two.

Your right setDeck is 1) a setter and 2) returns nothing despite being a function .3) shouldnt be a function 4) probably shouldnt exist.

You can rewrite the whole thing and it would interest me but probably not the OP. Be forwarned the temptation to pick holes would be strong :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by INTit
Your right setDeck is 1) a setter and 2) returns nothing despite being a function .3) probably shouldnt exist.

You can rewrite the whole thing and it would interest me but probably not the OP. Be forwarned the temptation to pick holes would be strong :wink:

It's fine, I welcome criticisms. That's how I've learnt programming to be honest with you.
Right, before I start. Should I do this using a consoles application or windows form? Also, can I use a database? It would be easier to do this using a database, the storing of data is something that should always be done using a database. Depending on what you intend to store. If I can't use databases then I'll be most likely be using JSON to store in a txt file.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Async
It's fine, I welcome criticisms. That's how I've learnt programming to be honest with you.
Right, before I start. Should I do this using a consoles application or windows form? Also, can I use a database? It would be easier to do this using a database, the storing of data is something that should always be done using a database. Depending on what you intend to store. If I can't use databases then I'll be most likely be using JSON to store in a txt file.

I think OP might of expected Winforms so go with that. Up to you on the database.
Reply 24
Original post by INTit
I think OP might of expected Winforms so go with that. Up to you on the database.

Just got back now. I'm gonna start it. I should be finished soon.
Reply 25
Original post by INTit

DeckHelper.vb

Imports Newtonsoft.Json

Public Class DeckHelper

Private Shared ReadOnly R As New Random

Public Shared Function GetDeckByArea(deckList As List(Of GardenDeck), area As Integer) As IEnumerable(Of GardenDeck)
Return From d In deckList Where d.Area >= area
End Function

Public Shared Function GetDeckByLength(deckList As List(Of GardenDeck), length As Integer) As IEnumerable(Of GardenDeck)
Return From d In deckList Where d.Length >= length
End Function

Public Shared Function GetCheapestDeck(deckList As List(Of GardenDeck)) As GardenDeck
Return deckList.OrderBy(Function(d) d.Price).FirstOrDefault()
End Function

Public Shared Function LoadDeck(location As String) As GardenDeck()
Dim txt As String = IO.File.ReadAllText(location)
Return JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(Of GardenDeck())(txt)
End Function

Public Shared Sub SaveDeck(deckList As List(Of GardenDeck), location As String)
Dim txt As String = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(deckList)
IO.File.WriteAllText(location, txt)
End Sub

Public Shared Function GenerateDeck(amount As Integer) As GardenDeck()
Dim decks(amount) As GardenDeck

For i = 0 To amount
decks(i) = New GardenDeck With {.Name = "Deck: " & i, .Length = R.Next(1, 500), .Width = R.Next(1, 500), .Price = R.Next(1, 500)}
Next

Return decks
End Function
End Class

Public Class GardenDeck
Public Property Name As String
Public Property Length As Integer
Public Property Width As Integer
Public Property Price As Double

Public ReadOnly Property Area As Double
Get
Return Width * Length
End Get
End Property

End Class

Main program

Module Module1

Private MyDeckList As New List(Of GardenDeck)

Sub Main()
Start()
End Sub

Private Sub Start()
Dim choice As Integer

Do
Console.Clear()

DisplayMenu()

choice = GetUserChoice()

Select Case choice
Case 1
Dim deck As GardenDeck = DeckHelper.GetCheapestDeck(MyDeckList)
Console.WriteLine("The cheapest desk is {0} which costs ${1}", deck.Name, deck.Price)
Case 2
Dim length As Integer = 50
For Each deck In DeckHelper.GetDeckByLength(MyDeckList, 10)
Console.WriteLine("{0} is greater than {1}cm", deck.Name, length)
Next
Case 3
Dim area As Integer = 27
For Each deck In DeckHelper.GetDeckByArea(MyDeckList, area)
Console.WriteLine("{0} is greater than {1}cm", deck.Name, area)
Next
Case 4
MyDeckList.AddRange(DeckHelper.GenerateDeck(20))
Case 5
DeckHelper.SaveDeck(MyDeckList, "deck.txt")
Case 6
MyDeckList.AddRange(DeckHelper.LoadDeck("deck.txt"))
Case 7
MyDeckList = New List(Of GardenDeck)
Case 8
Environment.Exit(0)
End Select

Console.ReadLine()

Loop Until choice = 8
End Sub

Private Function GetUserChoice() As Integer
Dim choice As Integer

Do
Console.WriteLine()
Console.WriteLine("Enter your choice")
Loop Until Integer.TryParse(Console.ReadLine(), choice)

Return choice
End Function

Private Sub DisplayMenu()
Console.WriteLine("Enter 1 to find the cheapest garden deck")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 2 to display the names of garden decks over a certain length")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 3 to display garden decks that are available over a certain area")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 4 to generate a deck")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 5 to save the current deck")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 6 to load the current deck")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 7 to wipe current deck")
Console.WriteLine("Enter 8 to quit")
Console.WriteLine()
End Sub

End Module

Send me your criticisms. Please excuse the fact that I didn't make the application all fancy and stuff. Couldn't be bothered to be honest.

You might need to download the JSON.NET package for your VB Solution through the Visual Studio NuGET package if you don't already know how to, to be able to use that class.
http://www.newtonsoft.com/json
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
I see you don't want to reply :frown:
Reply 27
Original post by Async
I see you don't want to reply :frown:

Sorry I didn't reply last night reply was getting late.

My thoughts:

I prefer the do while loop you used. When I was coding the example I think I saw the opportunity to create a loop by linking parseInput back to readInput and although convenient its more difficult to follow. I'd keep readInput and parseinput but I'd add a loop to main instead of linking them.

VBs LINQ syntax VS dot notation. The VB syntax is easier to follow for a VB dev but the dot notation is common to c# and vb. Theres trade-offs for both my choice was based on familiarity.

Helper object vs DeckService class. My motivation was to isolate the business logic from the rest of the logic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by INTit
Sorry I didn't reply last night reply was getting late.

My thoughts:

I prefer the do while loop you used. When I was coding the example I think I saw the opportunity to create a loop by linking parseInput back to readInput and although convenient its more difficult to follow. I'd keep readInput and parseinput but I'd add a loop to main instead of linking them.

VBs LINQ syntax VS dot notation. The VB syntax is easier to follow for a VB dev but the dot notation is common to c# and vb. Theres trade-offs for both my choice was based on familiarity.

Helper object vs DeckService class. My motivation was to isolate the business logic from the rest of the logic.

I don't know what the dot notation is hahaha. And uhhmm fair enough. And I call every static class a helper class. and yes your parseInput was like going all over the place just to perform one thing. It felt like a game of pass the parcel. A simple while loop would suffice. :smile: Anyway, nice to know there's members here that can read & write code.
Original post by INTit
Ok lets extend the code to complete option two "Get the names of decks over a certain length"

Lets create the getDecksAvailableOver function in the DeckService class. I'll use LINQ again if you don't know what it is google it as its awesome.

Public Function getDecksAvailableOver(length as long ) As List(Of Deck)
Dim decksOver As List<Of Deck> =m_Decks.Select( _
Function(x) x.length>length).toList()
Return decksOver
End Function

Ok so that will give us the decks over a certain length. But we still need to request the length from the user when they select option 2 and then display the decks.
So lets add the findDecksOfLength method to Module1 this method will read the input in and display the result.
It will get the user input by calling readLength() and display the decks over the desired length by calling displayDecksOver()

private sub findDecksOfLength()
dim length as long = readLength()
dim decksOverLength As List<Of Deck>= m_deckService.getDecksAvailableOver(length)
displayDecksOver(decksOverLength)
end sub

private function readLength() as long
Dim userInput As String = Console.ReadLine() //todo input validation
return userInput;
end sub

private function displayDecksOver(decks as List<Of Deck>,length as long)
Console.WriteLine(String.Format("Decks over:{0}", length))
for each deck in decks
Console.WriteLine(decks.Name)
next deck
end function

Finally we need to add a new case to the select statement so that when they select option 2 the new code gets called

Select Case Integer.Parse(userInput)
Case 1
showCheapest()
Case 2
findDecksOfLength()
End Select

Be warned the above is from the top of my head into the reply box so don't be surprised if there's typos.

Please I am really stuck with this. Is it okay if you can convert this code into a Visual Basic Windows application instead of a Console application because I don't understand most of it. Plus I really need help with designing the user interface. Like for example I don't know how to do it the way they are asking you to in the coursework????
Reply 30
Original post by Async
I don't know what the dot notation is hahaha. And uhhmm fair enough. And I call every static class a helper class. and yes your parseInput was like going all over the place just to perform one thing. It felt like a game of pass the parcel. A simple while loop would suffice. :smile: Anyway, nice to know there's members here that can read & write code.

Why would those methods be static in the first place? That is a recipe for unmaintainable code. I see a case for a [pre]Deck[/pre] class and a [pre]DeckStore[/pre] class. I don't see any case for a bunch of static methods (except the argument that the application is trivial, in which case there is no point asking for a critique).

A rule of thumb - if "Helper" is the best suffix you can come up with for a static class, you're probably making a smell.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Planto
Why would those methods be static in the first place? That is a recipe for unmaintainable code. I see a case for a [pre]Deck[/pre] class and a [pre]DeckStore[/pre] class. I don't see any case for a bunch of static methods (except the argument that the application is trivial, in which case there is no point asking for a critique).

A rule of thumb - if "Helper" is the best suffix you can come up with for a static class, you're probably making a smell.

How is the code not maintainable? It's pretty simple to read if you ask me. I made the class static because I saw it more of a utility class. A class to help accomplish the functions of the given task. But you do have a point though. Now that I think of it, I could of made the LoadDeck, SaveDeck and GenerateDeck a static methods and the others should not be.

To be honest, it's debateable

If you think you could do better then I'd like to see your attempt :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by JordanSmith1998
Please I am really stuck with this. Is it okay if you can convert this code into a Visual Basic Windows application instead of a Console application because I don't understand most of it. Plus I really need help with designing the user interface. Like for example I don't know how to do it the way they are asking you to in the coursework????

There's nothing to convert. Everything is pretty much done. Just use the class provided to do what you aim to do.
If you don't understand how the class works, don't use it. Do something you understand.
Reply 33
Original post by Async
How is the code not maintainable? It's pretty simple to read if you ask me. I made the class static because I saw it more of a utility class. A class to help accomplish the functions of the given task. But you do have a point though. Now that I think of it, I could of made the LoadDeck, SaveDeck and GenerateDeck a static methods. But the others should not be, I should of used a constructor for the DeckHelper class whereby the other non static methods used the data initialized through the constructors.

To be honest, it's debateable

I think most experienced software engineers would disagree with you on how debatable this is.

Maintainability and readability are two very different things. As I already hinted at, in its current size and complexity, there are no issues with this code but - in its current size and complexity - bunging everything in a big [pre]Main[/pre] method would probably be fine, too. The point is, you asked for a critique, so it's fair to assume that you're writing this code as though it's a real application. If someone on my team gave me this, I would send it back.

The static methods you have break encapsulation, they are not testable (how do you mock out your DAL?), they make extending the app to support concurrency impossible without a rewrite (loading your decks into a static member?) and they lead to absolute spaghetti as your applicaton's complexity increases and you have to pass all kinds of parameters to all kinds of static methods because you have no discernible structure or object state.

There are cases for static "utility" methods - namely extensions or methods that expose static configuration. Data access is certainly not a utility. Why not use an instance-based storage mechanism (forgive my C#)?

public class DeckStore
{
private readonly string _location;

public DeckStore(string location)
{
if (location == null) throw new ArgumentNullException("location");
_location = location;
}

public ICollection<Deck> Load()
{
}

public void Save(ICollection<Deck> decks)
{
}
}

Isolated, testable, scalable and, better still, you can abstract the implementation behind an interface so when you decide a JSON file is no good you don't have to throw everything away again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by Planto
I think most experienced software engineers would disagree with you on how debatable this is.

Maintainability and readability are two very different things. As I already hinted at, in its current size and complexity, there are no issues with this code but - in its current size and complexity - bunging everything in a big [pre]Main[/pre] method would probably be fine, too. The point is, you asked for a critique, so it's fair to assume that you're writing this code as though it's a real application. If someone on my team gave me this, I would send it back.

The static methods you have break encapsulation, they are not testable (how do you mock out your DAL?), they make extending the app to support concurrency impossible without a rewrite (loading your decks into a static member?) and they lead to absolute spaghetti as your applicaton's complexity increases and you have to pass all kinds of parameters to all kinds of static methods because you have no discernible structure or object state.

There are cases for static "utility" methods - namely extensions or methods that expose static configuration. Data access is certainly not a utility. Why not use an instance-based storage mechanism (forgive my C#)?

public class DeckStore
{
private readonly string _location;

public DeckStore(string location)
{
if (location == null) throw new ArgumentNullException("location");
_location = location;
}

public ICollection<Deck> Load()
{
}

public void Save(ICollection<Deck> decks)
{
}
}

Isolated, testable, scalable and, better still, you can abstract the implementation behind an interface so when you decide a JSON file is no good you don't have to throw everything away again.

Again, this is heavyweight for such a simple application but there is no point in asking for a critique unless you're going to treat it like a real project.

Edit: I made a comment on the code, I just realized it was a constructor. So disregard that comment if you seen it.

Other than that, uhmm, you already know I'm not an experienced developer in terms of years from my previous help thread. But that is my goal though :smile: and I appreciate your comment I agree with your input. I should of used constructors to initialize the deck and the location too.

Quick question, how long have you been coding for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Async
Edit: I made a comment on the code, I just realized it was a constructor. So disregard that comment if you seen it.

Other than that, uhmm, you already know I'm not an experienced developer in terms of years from my previous help thread. But that is my goal though :smile: and I appreciate your comment I agree with your input. I should of used constructors to initialize the deck and the location too.

Quick question, how long have you been coding for?

Keep in mind the code posted was simplified not real world quality . An example of making it more flexible: get rid of the Config class. Write a repository interface with concrete implementations saving stuff in JSON, XML, SQL etc. Change DeckService to take a repository instance via constructor injection and use that instead of the Config class.

Swappable, mockable data access like Planto described.
If it had a graphical UI it could use a presentation pattern etc.

An example showing code like that would be far too complicated for the OP and potentially the teacher :wink:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 36
I just re-wrote that DeckHelper class of mine.

Imports Newtonsoft.Json

Public Class DeckProvider

Private Shared ReadOnly R As New Random
Private _DeckList As List(Of GardenDeck)

Sub New()
_DeckList = New List(Of GardenDeck)
End Sub

Public ReadOnly Property Count As Integer
Get
Return _DeckList.Count
End Get
End Property

Public Function GetDeckByArea(area As Integer) As IEnumerable(Of GardenDeck)
Return From d In _DeckList Where d.Area >= area
End Function

Public Function GetDeckByLength(length As Integer) As IEnumerable(Of GardenDeck)
Return From d In _DeckList Where d.Length >= length
End Function

Public Function GetCheapestDeck() As GardenDeck
If _DeckList.Count <= 0 Then
Throw New Exception("Deck is empty")
Else
Return _DeckList.OrderBy(Function(d) d.Price).FirstOrDefault()
End If
End Function

Public Sub ImportDeck(location As String)
Dim txt As String = IO.File.ReadAllText(location)
_DeckList.AddRange(JsonConvert.DeserializeObject(Of GardenDeck())(txt))
End Sub

Public Sub SaveDeck(location As String)
Dim txt As String = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(_DeckList)
IO.File.WriteAllText(location, txt)
End Sub

Public Sub GenerateDecks(amount As Integer)
For i = 0 To amount
_DeckList.Add(New GardenDeck With {.Name = "Deck: " & i, .Length = R.Next(1, 50), .Width = R.Next(1, 50), .Price = R.Next(1, 100)})
Next
End Sub

Public Sub Add(deck As GardenDeck)
_DeckList.Add(deck)
End Sub

Public Sub RemoveAt(i As Integer)
_DeckList.RemoveAt(i)
End Sub

Public Sub ClearDeck()
_DeckList = New List(Of GardenDeck)
End Sub

Public Function GetAllDecks() As List(Of GardenDeck)
If _DeckList.Count = 0 Then
Throw New Exception("Deck list is empty")
Else
Return _DeckList
End If
End Function

End Class

Public Class GardenDeck
Public Property Name As String
Public Property Length As Integer
Public Property Width As Integer
Public Property Price As Double

Public ReadOnly Property Area As Double
Get
Return Width * Length
End Get
End Property
End Class

Is this better than before? Is this the overall concept Planto was looking for or am I still missing something?
Reply 37
I think you missed the concept of separating out the data access code - notice that Plantos DeckStore is only concerned with loading and saving decks.

I'll make a more detailed post tommorow it's 3am :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 38
Hmmnm I see. You can single it out but who cares 😂
Reply 39
Original post by Async
Hmmnm I see. You can single it out but who cares 😂

You will, when you want to test your Deck logic independently of physical stored files, or when you want to use a more robust storage mechanism but your current one is tightly coupled to the rest of your app :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending