The Student Room Group

Do I need to read a lot to get an A in english Lit?

Reply 1
If you want a good grade, it's reccomended that you read a lot. I think around 5 books would be he minimum, with at least 3 plays/dramas and lots of poems. You need a wide range of quotes that you can bring into your exams, and by reading a variety of books on a variety of topics it means that whatever theme the exam extracts happen to be on, you'll be covered with your quotes, :-)
My English Lit teacher tells us 'you cant read the set text too many times' so I would advise to just keep reading your exam books and taking notes on them.
Not necessarily. I only read the first couple of chapters of one of my texts and still got an A :tongue:
Original post by Changing Skies
Not necessarily. I only read the first couple of chapters of one of my texts and still got an A :tongue:

This gives me hope :biggrin:
Original post by Jalal Uddin
This gives me hope :biggrin:

Haha I'm glad! :tongue: honestly, as long as you know the plot and memorise some quotes, you're fine :biggrin:
Oh darn this isn't for gcse. Sorry, please ignore my other post, I don't even do AS eng lit 😳
(edited 9 years ago)

I think it depends at least partially on your exam board - I do AQA B (Victorian Literature) for AS, and one of the exam questions is based on context, and extract and linking it to wider reading (in prose, poetry and drama). So if I didn't do any wider reading, I would do really badly in half of the exam. If wider reading isn't a completely necessary aspect of the course, you might get away with not doing it, however if you don't like reading then English Literature probably isn't the best subject for you.
Reply 8
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I think it depends at least partially on your exam board - I do AQA B (Victorian Literature) for AS, and one of the exam questions is based on context, and extract and linking it to wider reading (in prose, poetry and drama). So if I didn't do any wider reading, I would do really badly in half of the exam. If wider reading isn't a completely necessary aspect of the course, you might get away with not doing it, however if you don't like reading then English Literature probably isn't the best subject for you.

I do english literature B but i wasn't aware that one of the questions is based on context? I know that context is AO4 for one question along with other AOS
Original post by _Aqsxo
I do english literature B but i wasn't aware that one of the questions is based on context? I know that context is AO4 for one question along with other AOS

Sorry - I meant AQA A! I do AQA B for English language so I accidentally put the wrong one
Nope. As above, I didn't read any of the plays we were studying. Now, for most people reading a lot is good advice both for the qualification and life in general.
Memorised a load of quotes and a few ideas in terms of themes, i.e. the transgressive female, violence etc. I got an A in my coursework :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 3 years ago)
I just read the exam texts- I didn't do any wider reading. Our board puts emphasis on critics quotes and context, all of which I found in revision guides and online anyway very easily. You don't get tested on how many times you read the book- it's how well you understood the themes within it (and can see different interpretations and argue for and against it).
Reply 13
Thanks that's really helpful! So how much would you say you revised for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, you can end up with an A for writing eloquent nonsense. I still have my A level coursework and it is truly awful yet still received a mark above 90%.
Reply 15
Really? I thought if you went off on a tangent, you don't get many marks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _Aqsxo
Really? I thought if you went off on a tangent, you don't get many marks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well like, it has to be relevant bull****, but it can still be bull****.

Our teacher showed us some pieces of coursework that got full UMS and I swear to God, none of them made any sense. The punctuation was all over the place and they used so many fancy words and, well...

Quick Reply

Latest