The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Buxtonwater
UEA, Liverpool, Leicester and also UEA for History.

After getting all five offers I was fairly annoyed I didn't apply to somewhere more aspirational. I'm currently stuck between UEA and Birmingham, I'm going to make my decision after the Law applicant day at Birmingham.

Have you looked at B'ham accommodation?

Birmingham is the better choice, but being brutally honest if your ultimate aim is to work for a top city firm or to become a barrister I think you need to take a look at UCAS Extra (or whatever they call it now) or Clearing for a more prestigious law school. Places like Durham and Warwick feature surprisingly often. Birmingham is fine, but that's it- I'd aspire for higher if you can possibly manage it.
Original post by jenkinsear
Birmingham is the better choice, but being brutally honest if your ultimate aim is to work for a top city firm or to become a barrister I think you need to take a look at UCAS Extra (or whatever they call it now) or Clearing for a more prestigious law school. Places like Durham and Warwick feature surprisingly often. Birmingham is fine, but that's it- I'd aspire for higher if you can possibly manage it.

I really regret not applying to warwick, do you know if it was available through adjustment last year for law?
Reply 582

Is Birmingham or Manchester better for law?
Original post by rkhan57
Is Birmingham or Manchester better for law?

If you're an international student and planning to go home afterwards I would say Manchester, because it has a very good international reputation/name recognition.

If you're planning to stay here, Birmingham probably because Manchester's law school is not particularly revered and struggles with student recruitment most years.
Original post by Buxtonwater
I really regret not applying to warwick, do you know if it was available through adjustment last year for law?

50/50. It all comes down to applicant numbers and who accepts offers etc. There will almost definitely be some top law schools in there going on previous years.
Reply 585
If you're an international student and planning to go home afterwards I would say Manchester, because it has a very good international reputation/name recognition.

If you're planning to stay here, Birmingham probably because Manchester's law school is not particularly revered and struggles with student recruitment most years.

Okay , last question what about Leeds or Birmingham? I'm a home student.
Original post by rkhan57
Okay , last question what about Leeds or Birmingham? I'm a home student.

About the same probably. I'd pick between them based on which City I preferred.
Just got an offer for kings ppl, all the waiting finally paid off!!
Original post by laurajessava
Just got an offer for kings ppl, all the waiting finally paid off!!

Congrats! :smile: Do you mind me asking what you got in your LNAT? They're the only uni I'm waiting to hear from now! So nervous :frown:
Hi Jenkinsear - I have offers from Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter - could you tell me which you would go for? Thanks.

About the same probably. I'd pick between them based on which City I preferred.
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Congrats! :smile: Do you mind me asking what you got in your LNAT? They're the only uni I'm waiting to hear from now! So nervous :frown:

Hey, hope you don't mind me butting in :tongue: I just received an offer from Kings and scored 26 in my LNAT! I hope that calms your nerves a little :redface:
Original post by nerdiemy
Hey, hope you don't mind me butting in :tongue: I just received an offer from Kings and scored 26 in my LNAT! I hope that calms your nerves a little :redface:

Well done! Nah too late haha I got rejected...I'm so disappointed in myself, I'm going to have to go through adjustment, I didn't get into my top 3 choices even though I got predicted more than they require :frown:
Original post by alisonthomson
Hi Jenkinsear - I have offers from Nottingham, Bristol and Exeter - could you tell me which you would go for? Thanks.

I'd avoid Nottingham- they traditionally dish out way more 2.2's for law than the other universities you mention. A 2.2 is basically a real real impediment in getting jobs, so for that reason alone I would personally be wary of Nottingham as a choice.

As for Bristol vs Exeter I don't think there's much difference really. Bristol probably has the better reputation as an overall University, but Exeter's law school is quite well regarded. Have you visited them both? A common criticism of Exeter is that the City is a bit dull, whilst Bristol obviously is a very studenty City, so perhaps that may be a way of deciding between them? Whichever you pick I wouldn't say either is a bad decision.
Original post by alisonthomson

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

Check this out. It will give you an idea of your prospects at different universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Looks like King's are starting to hand out more offers for their Law courses...
Offer from Warwick! hope King's are going to give e an offer
Original post by hellofello
Looks like King's are starting to hand out more offers for their Law courses...

might I ask, how do you know that? because i'm still nervously waiting for kings!
Original post by allspace31
might I ask, how do you know that? because i'm still nervously waiting for kings!

I've seen in this thread and the Law offers thread that there are quite a number of people starting to get decisions, both offers and rejections.
Reply 598
I got rejected yesterday so you should hear soon. Good luck.
Reply 599
Original post by Tia777
I got rejected yesterday so you should hear soon. Good luck.

What did you get on your LNAT if you don't mind me asking?

Latest

Trending

Trending