The Student Room Group

Should the UK become part of the US?

Poll

Should the UK become part of the United States?

How would you feel about the UK becoming part of the United States? I think there's obviously some pros and cons to such an idea:

Pros

We would be under the protection of the most powerful country in the planet

We would be able to vote in the elections of the most powerful man on the planet

It would be easier to travel between the US and the UK - no need for visas

UK citizens would be able to join the US Army, which is vastly superior to the British Army

The costs of living would decrease and unemployment would fall, as there are more jobs in the US than the UK

Their national anthem is better

We would be able to enjoy proper television instead of awful crap like "Jeremy Kyle"

Cons

We might lose some of our cultural identity

British English may become obsolete

We'd lose the Union Jack

Scotland might get angry about it again

We may feel like we're a long way away from the actual powerbase (Washington DC)

US food is less healthy than British food and if we joined the US we'd probably lose our EU membership meaning all the safeguards on food quality would go

They'd probably make us more religious again and try to bring back the death penalty

As you can see, the Pros outweigh the Cons. How do you feel about the proposed idea?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

America is a hole. Britain is at least semi-nice. Like if this happened, I would be more tempted to move to Syria than stay. That said, if we ever get in a war, I wouldn't mind their help
If you are so much of a fan of US, emigrate to US and become a citizen after a few years.
/thread
Troll thread is trolling.
Original post by Deathly
How would you feel about the UK becoming part of the United States? I think there's obviously some pros and cons to such an idea:

Pros

We would be able to vote in the elections of the most powerful man on the planet

UK citizens would be able to join the US Army, which is vastly superior to the British Army

The costs of living would decrease and unemployment would fall, as there are more jobs in the US than the UK

We would be able to enjoy proper television instead of awful crap like "Jeremy Kyle"

Cons

We'd lose the Union Jack

We may feel like we're a long way away from the actual powerbase (Washington DC)

US food is less healthy than British food and if we joined the US we'd probably lose our EU membership meaning all the safeguards on food quality would go

They'd probably make us more religious again and try to bring back the death penalty

As you can see, the Pros outweigh the Cons. How do you feel about the proposed idea?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg seriously, not this troll again.
Reply 5
The UK would be better off becoming part of a European superstate.
You also forgot to mention that we'd have health insurance, we'd be looked down upon even more and we'd lose the strongest currency on earth...
You really think the US would take you?
The US now has Jeremy Kyle.
Reply 8
Original post by Deathly

Pros

Cons

We'd lose the Union Jack

Last year, Putin was actually the most powerful man in the world. Do you want to become part of Russia?

Obviously you've never heard of 'Jeremy Springer' or any of the many other god damn awful chat shows they have. Also, there's 'Jeremy Kyle USA' so...

You're obviously forgetting that the USD is actually a weaker currency than our own. So that wouldn't be very good. And the US has stupid gun control laws.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I really hope you are.
I could support such a view that Britain should become the 51 state if the US still asserted states rights over that of the federal government. We would be the largest and must powerful state in the United State of America. We would be economically able to compete in the US internal market and have political capabilities they don't have. Of course it would mean the end of the Monarchy, Aristocracy, Church of England, British Courts. So I could never support it. However if Britain ever became a Republic I would say go for it.

I see only advantages in economic, military and political terms. In cultural terms it just isn't possible.
Reply 10
I think it the formation of 'The United States of Europe' would be more realistic than us becoming part of the USA, although both would be fairly foolish
Original post by Sabertooth
You really think the US would take you?

The US would without a doubt take Britain into the Union after a 3-5 process in Britain taking the steps to join the US. It would mean the US now controls the best trade center in Europe, 80% of the worlds capital, can project against European threats much easier. It would have massive benefits for the US and Britain.
Original post by Aph
The UK would be better off becoming part of a European superstate.
You also forgot to mention that we'd have health insurance, we'd be looked down upon even more and we'd lose the strongest currency on earth...

We would have far more power as a state in the US, than we do in the EU.

We could setup our own state healthcare system.
Reply 13
Subtle trolling/10
Original post by aoxa
Last year, Putin was actually the most powerful man in the world. Do you want to become part of Russia?

Obviously you've never heard of 'Jeremy Springer' or any of the many other god damn awful chat shows they have. Also, there's 'Jeremy Kyle USA' so...

You're obviously forgetting that the USD is actually a weaker currency than our own. So that wouldn't be very good. And the US has stupid gun control laws.

I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but I really hope you are.

The currency wouldn't need to be strong anymore because we wouldn't be importing from the US. It would be internal GNP. Also a lower currency would help our exports to Europe and competing with them, increasing our dynamism.
Original post by anonlad
I think it the formation of 'The United States of Europe' would be more realistic than us becoming part of the USA, although both would be fairly foolish

The EU will be gone within 5 years. So we will not have to worry about that foolishness anymore.
US and UK should try and make travel easier. We do have a special relationship after all.

Original post by william walker
The EU will be gone within 5 years. So we will not have to worry about that foolishness anymore.

You are so wrong. USE is the future, our economy will be remarkable due to all the baggage being removed, transport will be easier, the diversity of cultures will contribute to an entirely new identity. The USE will lead the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
I prefer the flaws in Britain to the flaws of the United States.
Reply 18
Original post by jakeel1
US and UK should try and make travel easier. We do have a special relationship after all.

You are so wrong. USE is the future, our economy will be remarkable due to all the baggage being removed, transport will be easier, the diversity of cultures will contribute to an entirely new identity. The USE will lead the world.

USE for the win:five:
Original post by Aph
USE for the win:five:

Long live USE :five:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending