The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notwinter
You see none of my themes strongly relate to each other apart from the very strong theme that is colour. But they wouldn't know that from looking at my portfolio, it would need explaining :/

In 2012 4 people on here were discussing slade and 3 got interviews.
This year there are 5 people. I'd like to know if there's a pattern

I think you have viewed your art too much and you are just in a negative frame of mind. I can see your style continued through every piece of work! (you will disagree but you will just have to secretly trust me!) Plus, if your theme is colour then its evident!

Ahhh well I don't feel to hopeful but I am happy to do a foundation degree for the experience so I don't feel that connected I guess. I was wondering before, how do you think they choose people to interview? Like if they look on Monday do they have a set number they can let in or do they view them all and then decide? Anyone have any idea of this?
Original post by Artfanatic
I think you have viewed your art too much and you are just in a negative frame of mind. I can see your style continued through every piece of work! (you will disagree but you will just have to secretly trust me!) Plus, if your theme is colour then its evident!

Ahhh well I don't feel to hopeful but I am happy to do a foundation degree for the experience so I don't feel that connected I guess. I was wondering before, how do you think they choose people to interview? Like if they look on Monday do they have a set number they can let in or do they view them all and then decide? Anyone have any idea of this?

you're right. I'm really over analyzing things. All I'm seeing in flaws now that aren't even relevant to this process. I just need to chill!

Same. I mean I'm not sure how much I want it. Would I do a foundation and reapply next year or just go to another Uni.

They have 40 undergraduate places roughly 20/20 BA vs BFA and 10% interview eg: 1500 applicants is 150 interview spots. I suppose all the people that get an interview do show a real dedication to their particular field. But I'm not sure how they pick certain people over others. I mean they looked at each one for probably 10 mins and then we picked them up. I think they make notes on each and remember the ones they liked! I mean not all the people viewing it will have seen everyone's are there are multiple people picking.
you're right. I'm really over analyzing things. All I'm seeing in flaws now that aren't even relevant to this process. I just need to chill!

Same. I mean I'm not sure how much I want it. Would I do a foundation and reapply next year or just go to another Uni.

They have 40 undergraduate places roughly 20/20 BA vs BFA and 10% interview eg: 1500 applicants is 150 interview spots. I suppose all the people that get an interview do show a real dedication to their particular field. But I'm not sure how they pick certain people over others. I mean they looked at each one for probably 10 mins and then we picked them up. I think they make notes on each and remember the ones they liked! I mean not all the people viewing it will have seen everyone's are there are multiple people picking.

Don't worry you will be back to "normal" at one point in your life... perhaps :biggrin:

Ah so is there like a tutor or two assigned to a portfolio and maybe like 5 groups of them going through a portfolio perhaps? That sounds like a sensible process! I would guess they are looking for a wide range of methods to be on the course?

One thing I did notice that although it says the 40 undergrads a year it also says that there are currently 140 therefore it could be more like 45-46! Out of interest where did you find the figure for the 10% interview rate?

Just a heads up there may be a large increase in applicants this year. There was a rise of applicants to the BA at Oxford from last year so it may well correlate to UCL as well.
You see none of my themes strongly relate to each other apart from the very strong theme that is colour. But they wouldn't know that from looking at my portfolio, it would need explaining :/

In 2012 4 people on here were discussing slade and 3 got interviews.
This year there are 5 people. I'd like to know if there's a pattern

We can only hope and pray there is a pattern.

I suppose that what the interview is for, to explain what the thinking behind the pieces are. I personally included a sheet if paper with a very brief description on each work. I still have more to talk about, just I think they needed a little bump with one or two. I also ordered mine chronologically as to show development
Don't worry you will be back to "normal" at one point in your life... perhaps :biggrin:

One thing I did notice that although it says the 40 undergrads a year it also says that there are currently 140 therefore it could be more like 45-46! Out of interest where did you find the figure for the 10% interview rate?

Oops! I forgot that there would be an extra 20 from the BA still there after 4 years. My bad!
Original post by bertiewallace123

I suppose that what the interview is for, to explain what the thinking behind the pieces are. I personally included a sheet if paper with a very brief description on each work. I still have more to talk about, just I think they needed a little bump with one or two. I also ordered mine chronologically as to show development

I am surprised they don't ask for a brief description. I didn't include any details about the work as I just read it on the requirements to have the name and date and dimensions if a photographed piece. I ordered mine chronologically as well. It just felt so unnatural and wrong not to?

oh that was a really good idea. But your film stills probably do need more explanation. I just didn't know if they'd read it. Darn it :-) good thinking

Ah so is there like a tutor or two assigned to a portfolio and maybe like 5 groups of them going through a portfolio perhaps? That sounds like a sensible process! I would guess they are looking for a wide range of methods to be on the course?

Just a heads up there may be a large increase in applicants this year. There was a rise of applicants to the BA at Oxford from last year so it may well correlate to UCL as well.

Possibly, Slade really do fluctuate in applicants from like 1000 to 1600 back down to 1200. Well they only do 3 types of art in Slade. Painting, Sculpture and Fine art media. Then you have to pick one of them and stick to it for a year. 10% interview rate is because the year they got 1000 applicants they interviewed 100 and the year they got 1600 they interviewed 160. Also I think it is 20 BA 20BFA. Because there's 20 of them lot doing 3 years, 20 doing 4 years. 60+80 = 140 undergrands.
Possibly, Slade really do fluctuate in applicants from like 1000 to 1600 back down to 1200. Well they only do 3 types of art in Slade. Painting, Sculpture and Fine art media. Then you have to pick one of them and stick to it for a year. 10% interview rate is because the year they got 1000 applicants they interviewed 100 and the year they got 1600 they interviewed 160. Also I think it is 20 BA 20BFA. Because there's 20 of them lot doing 3 years, 20 doing 4 years. 60+80 = 140 undergrands.

Yeah I just realized that the number did add up. Gave a moment of false hope there :frown:

How do you find out how many are interviewed? I do believe you as you research everything to the last detail but I literally cant find the data!
Yeah I just realized that the number did add up. Gave a moment of false hope there :frown:

How do you find out how many are interviewed? I do believe you as you research everything to the last detail but I literally cant find the data!

I probably can't find the data now. It's just from what I remember and I think I saw it in another thread. As far as we can go on it's roughly 10% each time.
:-(
Right so, have just found the 2012 thread and it is absolute gold. Started on pg32 and ended on pg47 (it's 89 pages long) and it isn't allhappy reading. Here is a quick report:

1. There were loads of slade applicants at least 12 and I'd say 1/3 got interviews , some never posted about the slade after saying they'd applied there so I assume they didn't get in.

2. I think Rejections were handed out after interviews (how mean) and they occurred on the 22nd of feb while interviews were this week back then.

4.interviews by email. rejections via track.

3. Their work is good, find their portfolios and regret ur own.

I'll find out more to morrow tho it's hard on a phone in Yorkshire.
Right so, have just found the 2012 thread and it is absolute gold. Started on pg32 and ended on pg47 (it's 89 pages long) and it isn't allhappy reading. Here is a quick report:

1. There were loads of slade applicants at least 12 and I'd say 1/3 got interviews , some never posted about the slade after saying they'd applied there so I assume they didn't get in.

2. I think Rejections were handed out after interviews (how mean) and they occurred on the 22nd of feb while interviews were this week back then.

4.interviews by email. rejections via track.

3. Their work is good, find their portfolios and regret ur own.

I'll find out more to morrow tho it's hard on a phone in Yorkshire.

oh I read that, it is a really good thread!! 2 more days :-(
do you really think we'll know in two days ? I can't sleep atm thinking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amberhahn1
do you really think we'll know in two days ? I can't sleep atm thinking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it night where you are? Or do you mean in general.

Yup I think from Wednesday/Thurs onwards we will start knowing. I'm trying not to think about it so I turned off my phone so I can't check my emails. :/ It feels so long to wait.

But I'm sure the time will roll around any time now.
no I'm from the UK haha sorry I'm on a Level 3 BTEC Extended diploma are you too? Ahhhh it's so exciting x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amberhahn1
no I'm from the UK haha sorry I'm on a Level 3 BTEC Extended diploma are you too? Ahhhh it's so exciting x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm on the BTEC too!
It's exciting but mainly fustrating now :smile:
1 and 1/2 half days to go.
Has anyone seen the portfolio of the person that begun this thread?
Has anyone seen the portfolio of the person that begun this thread?

Nope, but to be fair this thread was made a few years ago, so we may never get the chance
Reply 218
I thought you hear back from Slade 2 weeks after? o.o
Anyone know roughly when the interviews are? ^^
Original post by MC657
I thought you hear back from Slade 2 weeks after? o.o
Anyone know roughly when the interviews are? ^^

If you notice on the Slade website it says you will hear back by the 4th of March and interview begin on the week of the 9th of March. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest