The Student Room Group

Is £100k a year really that much of a salary nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

By my standards yeah that's a hell of a good salary.
Original post by Balloon Baboon
You must be on at least £99k, Queen :tongue:

Didn't you hear? The iron bank stopped funding the crown shortly after Lord Baelish's departure from the red keep, and the Lannister's mines in the Westerlands have started to run dry!
Reply 82
Who need £100k anyway. For a lot of us it could possibly be too much. We have never planned on owning so much money.
Original post by HarryDn
Obv the average salary is much less, but still..

Or do you have to be a millionaire nowadays? esp in London?

I dunno if a lot of people would hear 100k and think "thats a lot" any more

I earn 18k doing a 12 month placement in London. After taxes I'm left with about 1300 a month. My rent is a flatshare with two other people and I pay £450 inc bills pm. My travel costs are £145. That leaves about £175 a week to play with.

Wow that really isn't a lot is it when its put like that :tongue:. Can you imagine if I had a car? If I had kids? If I was trying to save?

And 18k is 3 thousand over minimum wage :redface:

Edit: It's more like 5 thousand more...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HarryDn

To most people, yes. If you're living in central London then you might not have as much disposable income because of the premium you're paying for the location but it's still an extremely good income...
Original post by HarryDn

Do you mean as a household income or on an individual basis? My parents earn safely above that amount but we still budget and worry about money. It's not that much in reality, especially when you have kids.
A salary like that in Kensigton would allow you a 3 bedroom terraced house.

A salary like that in Hull would allow you a large country house with 10 acres of land.

But overall it is quite a lot!
Depends on your circumstances. Without kids is a good salary, even in London.
Good amount of money.
Original post by SmallDuck

A salary like that in Hull would allow you a large country house with 10 acres of land.

But overall it is quite a lot!

No way! You should be able to afford a mortgage on a one bed flat in Kensington if you earned £100k.
No it's a very low salary, you're right. Barely enough to buy a loaf of bread and rent a cardboard box.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Just to add to this debate,

Alan Johnson from Labour was on the Daily Politics earlier and said in London you now have to earn at least £110,000 a year before a bank will consider you for a mortgage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by BrightonDunkley
Do you mean as a household income or on an individual basis? My parents earn safely above that amount but we still budget and worry about money. It's not that much in reality, especially when you have kids.

The latter mostly, is that a combined income and are you in London? :smile:
This thread stopped abruptly:confused::confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Without a bunch of kids and a mortgage on a large house, it's brilliant. Add those things in though and it no longer strikes me as "rich".
Original post by HarryDn

Seriously? Really, it's a lot. OK, it might not get you a house in Belgravia, but it's a very, very good salary, even in London.
Oh damn. Old thread revival. Duh.
tbh a super-nanny or a butler could easily make that amount in Olde London Towne ?
It's subjective. For some it is, for others it is. End of thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallDuck

Perhaps you're thinking of Kentish town? £100k is definitely not enough for a 3 bedroom terraced house in Kensington.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending