The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

College Allocation

I know this is really childish, but I firmed Durham last week in the hope that I'd be allocated my first choice college, but instead I've been allocated another college. This is picky, I know, but I picked Durham over my insurance choice solely on the basis of the college: it offers gowned formals, is close to lectures etc etc but the new college doesn't meet any of my requirements.
Now I really don't know what to do! Is there any way I could be re-considered for another college?
I'm pretty desperate and am even considering trying to swap my firm and insurance choices now!
Original post by crabsticks
I know this is really childish, but I firmed Durham last week in the hope that I'd be allocated my first choice college, but instead I've been allocated another college. This is picky, I know, but I picked Durham over my insurance choice solely on the basis of the college: it offers gowned formals, is close to lectures etc etc but the new college doesn't meet any of my requirements.
Now I really don't know what to do! Is there any way I could be re-considered for another college?
I'm pretty desperate and am even considering trying to swap my firm and insurance choices now!

Sadly unless there is a valid medical reason there doesn't seem to be a way to swap according to online resources. (https://www.dur.ac.uk/collegiate.office/allocations/)

"Durham University has a policy that once a college allocation is made then it is part of our broader offer and not something that would be changed at the applicant’s request."

However I don't know how this can be strictly true because the allocations are given out before people even make Durham a firm, and people must also miss their grades so some colleges must have extra spaces if people reject Durham or don't get in...
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Yeah unless you have a valid medical/ other very good reason supported by evidence you wont be able to swap. Otherwise everyone would. It's literally the only fair way of doing it.

And yes, some people don't get to use a space allocated to them, however they don't have a system in place for other offer holders to swap. It would be an administrative nightmare! Those spaces are used by people in clearing who don't get to pick a college, they are randomly assigned.

Seriously though, everywhere in Durham is close to lectures (not even joking here, unless you think a 20 minute walk is particularly taxing). Also you are able to attend other college formals, so can get an experience of gowned formals. Also, the novelty of gowns wears off pretty quick in actual fact, they're hot, heavy and tbh I'd prefer people to see the nice clothes I'm wearing underneath than my gown! I wouldn't reject a university based on something as small as this, most people love the college they end up in. Durham is a fantastic, well respected uni so giving it up on the basis of not wearing a gown occasionally seems silly to me!
Dear Friends, Looking forward to do MBA from University of Durham in Sept 2015,
I hope u could guide me regarding accomodation,
Which accomodation shall be fine for me when it comes about MBA students at University of Durham ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending