The Student Room Group

Durham foundation year medicine 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DanHBell
Hello my name is Dan. I was wondering if you get excepted, when do you sit the UKCAT exam? I am still waiting for an email about interviews, does anyone know when they will email you back about the interviews? Also what are the interviews like and what kind of questions do they ask?
Thanks

You will be required to sit the ukcat by last week of August, I believe.. The email from last year about interviews as I said previously was around first week of March for interviews in march... With the kind of questions about the interview, I would say, just expect anything you can expect from a medical school interview though it's more relaxing... As to what questions, am afraid we cannot say as it's agaisnt the rules and you may get disqualified from the uni for discussing interview questions...
Reply 21
Thanks so much for your help.
I had my interview last year in mid march and received an offer on the 1st of April. They ask you to sit the UKCAT in early summer. If you fail to meet the needed score,your offer is withdrawn.
During the interview, I was given two laminated cards with a scenario on each,and had to respond. You're given a short time to read it and form ab argument,but your interviewers are sitting watching you. My scenarios were ethical and medical.
Once the scenarios were done, we discussed the uni and me.
They were really lovely and open. Still scary but not too bad.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got a conditional offer last year and like a lot of others failed to gain the required score. I don't really post much and hadn't even looked at the thread since I got my invitation to interview so sorry if I appeared rude!

Anyway, I've reapplied so now the waiting game once again!
Does anyone have any idea of what the UKCAT cut off will be this year? I did some research and it is rumoured that it will be lower than the cut off last year which was a high 745. And good luck to everyone who has applied!!
Original post by A1student
Does anyone have any idea of what the UKCAT cut off will be this year? I did some research and it is rumoured that it will be lower than the cut off last year which was a high 745. And good luck to everyone who has applied!!

The cut off for this years ukcat (normal foundation route) is 625 points- (as you may know already for the gateway path it is reduced by 100 pts, so 525)
Thank you for your response. May I please just ask though what is the source of that information? :smile:
Hey guys

Im 29, and Ive enquired about going to Durham for Foundation Medicine, I don't have any A-levels so ive been told its best to study for the UKCAT, do some work experience etc and then can see where it will go from there.

This may sound silly but if I do my UKCAT this Summer does it mean I can apply for the year 2015 or 2016 ?
Reply 28
Original post by MedicineMaybe
Hey guys

Im 29, and Ive enquired about going to Durham for Foundation Medicine, I don't have any A-levels so ive been told its best to study for the UKCAT, do some work experience etc and then can see where it will go from there.

This may sound silly but if I do my UKCAT this Summer does it mean I can apply for the year 2015 or 2016 ?

2015 application cycle is over.. Deadline for application was 15th January, So you basically will be aiming for 2016 entry...
But from what I know from last year, you can sit the UKCAT this summer and if you get good marks, it may be accepted with your application as someone had done it a year before applying and was accepted for entry... And if you don't do well, I would say you can take it as a trier test and try again after applying..
Original post by kgee
2015 application cycle is over.. Deadline for application was 15th January, So you basically will be aiming for 2016 entry...
But from what I know from last year, you can sit the UKCAT this summer and if you get good marks, it may be accepted with your application as someone had done it a year before applying and was accepted for entry... And if you don't do well, I would say you can take it as a trier test and try again after applying..

Thanks you've answered that for me :smile:
Thanks you've answered that for me :smile:

I did it the year before, and they accepted it, and granted me an unconditional offer. But would definitely recommend doing it, even as a practise run.
Just to let people know what my timetable was like for this year. We share everything with the foundation pharmacists, and it's a great way to start working as a team.

Teaching Block 1
6 hours Chemistry (half practical)
6 hours Biology (half practical)
3 hours statistics
3-6 hours Academic Practice
Optional 1 hour, Maths for Pharmacists and Scientists

Teaching Block 2
6 hours Anatomy, Physiology and Disease (3/4 practicals)
3 hours Biology
3 hours Chemistry (3 practicals)
3 hours Academic Practice

Anything else, please ask or PM me.
Original post by Edischarge
I did it the year before, and they accepted it, and granted me an unconditional offer. But would definitely recommend doing it, even as a practise run.

Hiya

That's what I was thinking of still doing the UKCAT even just for practice, what score did you get if you don't mind me asking? and if its an unconditional offer does that mean you got a place etc?

:smile:
Hiya

That's what I was thinking of still doing the UKCAT even just for practice, what score did you get if you don't mind me asking? and if its an unconditional offer does that mean you got a place etc?

:smile:

I got in the high 700s. And an unconditional offer meant I fulfilled every criteria without waiting for further results, after my interview.
Wow sounds ace, Im currently reading the 600 book, so I hope that helps me :smile:
Has anyone received a response yet?
I have been rejected this year. Obviously, it was not meant to be.
Good luck to all of you, keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Reply 36
Original post by FraggleGriffith

Sorry to hear that, I haven't got any response yet, there is still hope. When did you hear from them?
Reply 37

I'm sorry. I've not heard anything back either, so here's hoping no news is good news.
Reply 38

when did you apply? sorry to hear that. I have heard nothing back yet but to be fair I applied late
Applied in November.
Ucas updated last night, email from uni today.
This could mean there is hope for you, yes ������
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending