The Student Room Group

Are mock results anything to go by?

This is very frustrating.

My mock results... not good for Maths. I don't think I should do the A-Level in it now, but I was just wondering if anyone had an advice/opinions on if I should based off of these?

http://prntscr.com/66a8fc

(Non Calc - 43 C)
(Calc - 83 A)
(Overall - 126 B)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by QPRTeags

My mock results... not good for Maths. I don't think I should do the A-Level in it now, but I was just wondering if anyone had an advice/opinions on if I should based off of these?

(Non Calc - 43 C)
(Calc - 83 A)
(Overall - 126 B)

Depends how much revision you did

I always advise students to do minimal revision for the mock - I then expect a grade improvement to the real thing
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem

I always advise students to do minimal revision for the mock - I then expect a grade improvement to the real thing

I didn't revise. I guess that's a good thing? :confused:
Reply 3
Just keep on trying, and try and work on your non-calculator skills. You're obviously quite good at maths, but it's just the non-calc that's letting you down.

In a-level maths, its only Core 1 that's non-calc, all the other modules are calculator papers.

When I first did my maths mocks I got a D and C, but with doing past papers, revision and putting the work in, I came out with an A* on both papers and the highest mark in the class. You just need to work hard on the bits you don't understand,don't give up just because of your mocks :yep:
No they're not necessarily representative of anything unless you put as much effort into preparing for them as you would do for the real exams.

Even still, after mocks you can work on past papers so you know exactly what to expect
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem

I'm curious on why you would advise your students to do that? My teachers always tell me the mocks are the best indicator of performance in the real thing. Unless, of course, this was sarcasm.
Original post by 0x2a
I'm curious on why you would advise your students to do that?

Because mocks give a baseline to work from
Paper 1 really let you down so have a look at the topics on that first. If you can get nearly an A* on the calculator paper then I'm sure you can improve significantly.
Original post by aoxa
Just keep on trying, and try and work on your non-calculator skills. You're obviously quite good at maths, but it's just the non-calc that's letting you down.

In a-level maths, its only Core 1 that's non-calc, all the other modules are calculator papers.

When I first did my maths mocks I got a D and C, but with doing past papers, revision and putting the work in, I came out with an A* on both papers and the highest mark in the class. You just need to work hard on the bits you don't understand,don't give up just because of your mocks :yep:

was this for a2?
Original post by QPRTeags

(Non Calc - 43 C)
(Calc - 83 A)
(Overall - 126 B)

Dude chill, got like 3 Us or something for my mocks and ended up getting 12 A*s. Mind you I didn't bother turning up to all of my mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest