The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to :smile:
Original post by RebekaT
I'm writing a documentary on mental illness for my film studies coursework and I was wondering if people would mind sharing why they sometimes don't/find it hard to admit that they have a mental illness? I completely understand if you don't want to :smile:

Sure. :smile:

To be honest some of the time I just don't want to think badly of the person, if I suspect they'll be judgemental. It's like finding out your granny's a bit racist - you know they're not a bad person in total, but you can't help but lose a bit of respect for them. :colondollar:
Original post by superwolf
Sure. :smile:

To be honest some of the time I just don't want to think badly of the person, if I suspect they'll be judgemental. It's like finding out your granny's a bit racist - you know they're not a bad person in total, but you can't help but lose a bit of respect for them. :colondollar:

I've never thought of it that way - thank you!
Original post by RebekaT
I've never thought of it that way - thank you!

Good luck with the coursework. :yy:
HOW DID I FORGET ITS PANCAKE DAY??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cos your silly :yep: im gonna be making a mountain of pancakes later!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Cos your silly :yep: im gonna be making a mountain of pancakes later!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:five:
Original post by RebekaT

My main problem with admitting that I was ill was being in denial, even as a university psychology student I still didn't want to admit it? I like pretending everything is fine and caring for other people/making sure they're ok, so I don't want people to worry about me etc. So I guess that contributed to it.

That and I'm scared of being judged by a person for having a few MH issues - especially if they're close to me.

It's hard to talk about. :dontknow: Wish it wasn't though. Stigma definitely contributes to silence too.

Sorry if that doesn't help. :colondollar:
Original post by Pathway
My main problem with admitting that I was ill was being in denial, even as a university psychology student I still didn't want to admit it? I like pretending everything is fine and caring for other people/making sure they're ok, so I don't want people to worry about me etc. So I guess that contributed to it.

That and I'm scared of being judged by a person for having a few MH issues - especially if they're close to me.

It's hard to talk about. :dontknow: Wish it wasn't though. Stigma definitely contributes to silence too.

Sorry if that doesn't help. :colondollar:

It does help thank you :smile: I'm writing something about the stigma and how physical illness is treated so much more seriously than mental illness. It definitely needs to be less of a taboo subject, especially for it to be taken in the way that it needs to be
Original post by RebekaT
It does help thank you :smile: I'm writing something about the stigma and how physical illness is treated so much more seriously than mental illness. It definitely needs to be less of a taboo subject, especially for it to be taken in the way that it needs to be

Depends! I also have a physical disability and, even though it's classed as an invisible illness, I still get treated badly (e.g. told I'm lying). It's probably the whole not being able to see it type deal. :confused:
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I only remembered at like 2pm! Will be having ALL the pancakes :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pathway
Depends! I also have a physical disability and, even though it's classed as an invisible illness, I still get treated badly (e.g. told I'm lying). It's probably the whole not being able to see it type deal. :confused:

That probably is the reason for it - I just don't see the need for people to stigmatize a serious issue, do you think we (doctors, the media etc) could move away from the stigma eventually? I hope we can soon, it would mean more people are treated fairly and correctly :smile:
HOW CAN YOUS NOT REMEMBER PANCAKE DAY???? ! :eek3: :gasp: :headfire:

:ninja:

:tongue:

But yeah. :tongue: Doing pancake day with ~20 under 7's in about an hours time. :redface:
Original post by sherbet_lemons7

But yeah. :tongue: Doing pancake day with ~20 under 7's in about an hours time. :redface:

I wish you the best of luck with that! :P
Original post by RebekaT
That probably is the reason for it - I just don't see the need for people to stigmatize a serious issue, do you think we (doctors, the media etc) could move away from the stigma eventually? I hope we can soon, it would mean more people are treated fairly and correctly :smile:

There's literally no point in stigma at all. Hopefully we can, I mean stigma (for MH) has improved in the last few years, but it's still bad.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Well done, I hope it works for you :smile:

Thank you!

Original post by Pathway
That's great! You just reminded me to go and get my prescription. :colondollar:

Thanks! Haha that's a good thing then!
Original post by sherbet_lemons7

I HOPE YOU'RE MAKING SCOTCH PANCAKES

Original post by Jay018
I wish you the best of luck with that! :P

Why thank you. :h: I feel I'll need it. :tongue: :hugs:

Original post by superwolf
I HOPE YOU'RE MAKING SCOTCH PANCAKES

:hmmm: You and your stereotypes... :hand:

Spoiler

Original post by SweetNothing
I'm sorry :frown: I know how you feel i'd hate if my dog was in the vets too, at least he's in the best place and they're going to help him get better.

I hope he comes home soon!

Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep :frown: I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Thanks. He ended up getting put to sleep :frown: I know its for the best since he's no longer suffering but damn it still hurts so much :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: Really sorry to hear that, it's a horrible decision to have to make.

Latest