The Student Room Group

Do u need an A in all units to get an A overall?

I do Biology (OCR), Geography (AQA) and English Literature (OCR)

To get an A in each of these subjects would I need an A in all of the units? For example do I need an A in both biology exams and the practical assessment to get an A overall?
No. I got an A in two maths modules and a C in the third; got an A. (at AS).
Also, in AS Physics, I got A B C (extremely low C and B) and managed to be one mark off an A.

So, no. You don't need to get an A in all the units.:3
Reply 3
Nope
Reply 4
Original post by crozibear96
Also, in AS Physics, I got A B C (extremely low C and B) and managed to be one mark off an A.

So, no. You don't need to get an A in all the units.:3

Oooo okay phew, Thank You!!

Is there anywhere I can find out the overall marks needed for each grade?
Original post by amelimoo
Oooo okay phew, Thank You!!

Is there anywhere I can find out the overall marks needed for each grade?

I think they're subject to change, depending on how difficult exams are in the given year. And depending on the exam board. I'm sure the grade boundaries would be on exam board websites.
No you don't. You need basically 80% UMS which is at least 480/600 UMS or 320/400 UMS, depending on what type of course, overall for your course to get an A.
(edited 9 years ago)

To get an A in each of these subjects would I need an A in all of the units? For example do I need an A in both biology exams and the practical assessment to get an A overall?

Nah, you don't :smile:

To score the A grade, you need to score at least 80% over the full A-Level in terms of UMS. So if the A-Level has a maximum UMS mark of 600, you'll need to score at least 480/600 overall to achieve the A grade. :yy:
Reply 8

No. You need at least 240/300UMS overall in Biology and 160/200 overall in the other 2 (i.e. at least 80% UMS).

Biology has oddly weighted units - 90 for F211, 150 for F212 and 60 for F213 so you could (in theory) get 0 for F213 and still get an A overall.
Reply 9
Original post by Raymat
No you don't. You need basically 80% UMS which is at least 480/600 UMS or 320/400 UMS, depending on what type of course, overall for your course to get an A.

Oh okay Thank You!!!
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
No. You need at least 240/300UMS overall in Biology and 160/200 overall in the other 2 (i.e. at least 80% UMS).

Biology has oddly weighted units - 90 for F211, 150 for F212 and 60 for F213 so you could (in theory) get 0 for F213 and still get an A overall.

Oooh okay that makes me feel a lot less stressed!!! F213 is my weakest unit!!!
No. You need an average of 80%.

Although it is better if everything is an A because y'know, you're in the safety zone. Best advice is to work as hard as you can for AS and maybe even aim for 90%, 'cause it gets tougher in A2.

A-Levels are bullcrap though. Hated them myself. Don't get mentally ill like I did. Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest