The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Oh right. Sounds like you've got a large workload! What do you want to do at uni and where?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I have a few exams. I'm taking four A2s this year as well, so it totals a lot.

Maths and physics at Bath or Warwick.
Reply 21
Original post by CD223
Would you say that the content overlapping has helped you with M2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It has a lot!
Reply 22
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah I have a few exams. I'm taking four A2s this year as well, so it totals a lot.

Maths and physics at Bath or Warwick.

Nice! I wanna do Comp Sci at Bath!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Tiwa
It has a lot!

Ah good! Any tips on revision for it? Any different from C3/C4 preparation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I ask, doing M2 as an AS Module, how much C3/C4 knowledge is required for M2 to get a decent grade. Im worried about the stuff on differential equations. The variable acceleration stuff is fine, differentating and integrating trig seems alright, worried about when it comes to log, ln, e etc....
Reply 25
Original post by bitofageek
Can I ask, doing M2 as an AS Module, how much C3/C4 knowledge is required for M2 to get a decent grade. Im worried about the stuff on differential equations. The variable acceleration stuff is fine, differentating and integrating trig seems alright, worried about when it comes to log, ln, e etc....

Watch Jack Brown's YouTube videos on those topics. He teaches Core 3 from scratch but I don't know if he has any Core 4 other than vectors yet. Either way that will certainly help you in some way. Then examsolutions has videos on differential equations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Nice! I wanna do Comp Sci at Bath!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's cool.

Original post by bitofageek

As someone who did C4 last year, there is a bit in M2. For differentiation, there are a few rules you have to be able to follow. Integration is the reverse of these.

These rules in M2 will differentiate or integrate an inner function. Choose u as the inner function.
chain rule: dydx=dydududx\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}, integration by substitution: ydx=ydxdudu\int y dx = \int y \frac{dx}{du}du

These are differentials of some common functions that you should remember.
ddx(ex)=ex\frac{d}{dx}(e^x) = e^x
ddx(sinx)=cosx\frac{d}{dx}(\sin x) = \cos x
ddx(cosx)=sinx\frac{d}{dx}(\cos x) = -\sin x
ddx(xn)=nxn1\frac{d}{dx}(x^n) = nx^{n-1}, when integrating xndx=1n+1xn+1+c\int x^n dx = \frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}+c, x1x\not{=} -1
1xdx+c=lnx\int\frac{1}{x}dx+c = \ln x, ddx(lnx)=1x\frac{d}{dx}(\ln x) = \frac{1}{x}
I believe these are all that are needed for M2, but I might have missed one.

You may also be asked to integrate functions of the form f(x)=1(xa)(xb) f(x) = \frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)}, so a rational function with two linear factors in the denominator. So integrate this, you must split it up using partial fractions.
Write 1(xa)(xb)Axa+Bxb\frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)} \equiv \frac{A}{x-a} + \frac{B}{x-b}.
Then multiply by the denominator: 1A(xb)+B(xa)1 \equiv A(x-b) + B(x-a)
Then either multiply out and compare coefficients or substitute x = a and x = b to find the values of A and B. Then you have the original function in partial fraction form, which you can integrate now.

You will be asked to solve first order non-linear ordinary differential equations of the form dydx=f(y)g(x)\frac{dy}{dx} = f(y)g(x), where f and g are functions of y and x respectively.
When solving differential equations, the objective is to find y as a function of x. The general solution has an arbitrary constant (can take any value), but if you substitute initial conditions given in the question, you get the value of the constant and hence a particular solution.
To solve these, you use separation of variables. You can write 1f(y)dy=g(x)dx\int \frac{1}{f(y)} dy = \int g(x) dx. You then integrate both sides to get a function of x equals a function of y. When integrating, you only need to add a constant of integration on one side.
Rearrange to get y in terms of x. Then substitute the initial conditions to get the value of the arbitrary constant.

Tell me if you want clarification on anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by CD223
Ah good! Any tips on revision for it? Any different from C3/C4 preparation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In Mechanics modules the questions are always very wordy, so you need to underline key information. The preparation isn't too different from C3/C4 as questions such as differentiation and integration requires some C3/C4 knowledge as they may bring questions containing exponentials or trigonometry.
Reply 28
Original post by morgan8002
That's cool.

As someone who did C4 last year, there is a bit in M2. For differentiation, there are a few rules you have to be able to follow. Integration is the reverse of these.

These rules in M2 will differentiate or integrate an inner function. Choose u as the inner function.
chain rule: dydx=dydududx\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{du}\frac{du}{dx}, integration by substitution: ydx=ydxdudu\int y dx = \int y \frac{dx}{du}du

These are differentials of some common functions that you should remember.
ddx(ex)=ex\frac{d}{dx}(e^x) = e^x
ddx(sinx)=cosx\frac{d}{dx}(\sin x) = \cos x
ddx(cosx)=sinx\frac{d}{dx}(\cos x) = -\sin x
ddx(xn)=nxn1\frac{d}{dx}(x^n) = nx^{n-1}, when integrating xndx=1n+1xn+1+c\int x^n dx = \frac{1}{n+1}x^{n+1}+c, x1x\not{=} -1
1xdx+c=lnx\int\frac{1}{x}dx+c = \ln x, ddx(lnx)=1x\frac{d}{dx}(\ln x) = \frac{1}{x}
I believe these are all that are needed for M2, but I might have missed one.

You may also be asked to integrate functions of the form f(x)=1(xa)(xb) f(x) = \frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)}, so a rational function with two linear factors in the denominator. So integrate this, you must split it up using partial fractions.
Write 1(xa)(xb)Axa+Bxb\frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)} \equiv \frac{A}{x-a} + \frac{B}{x-b}.
Then multiply by the denominator: 1A(xb)+B(xa)1 \equiv A(x-b) + B(x-a)
Then either multiply out and compare coefficients or substitute x = a and x = b to find the values of A and B. Then you have the original function in partial fraction form, which you can integrate now.

You will be asked to solve first order non-linear ordinary differential equations of the form dydx=f(y)g(x)\frac{dy}{dx} = f(y)g(x), where f and g are functions of y and x respectively.
When solving differential equations, the objective is to find y as a function of x. The general solution has an arbitrary constant (can take any value), but if you substitute initial conditions given in the question, you get the value of the constant and hence a particular solution.
To solve these, you use separation of variables. You can write 1f(y)dy=g(x)dx\int \frac{1}{f(y)} dy = \int g(x) dx. You then integrate both sides to get a function of x equals a function of y. When integrating, you only need to add a constant of integration on one side.
Rearrange to get y in terms of x. Then substitute the initial conditions to get the value of the arbitrary constant.

Tell me if you want clarification on anything.

Thanks for taking the time to write that - I know it wasn't for me but it's been helpful revision for C3 & 4 none the less aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Tiwa
In Mechanics modules the questions are always very wordy, so you need to underline key information. The preparation isn't too different from C3/C4 as questions such as differentiation and integration requires some C3/C4 knowledge as they may bring questions containing exponentials or trigonometry.

Ah right thank you for the pointers! I remember with M1 I prepared slightly differently to C1 and C2 by going through questions in the textbook that were more wordy than pure maths ones. Would you say I should do that again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by CD223
Ah right thank you for the pointers! I remember with M1 I prepared slightly differently to C1 and C2 by going through questions in the textbook that were more wordy than pure maths ones. Would you say I should do that again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you find useful, I say go for it. Whatever helps you revise the best, you should do!
Reply 31
Original post by Tiwa
If you find useful, I say go for it. Whatever helps you revise the best, you should do!

Good point - just wondered what others thought! Is it worth revising assumptions from M1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by CD223
Good point - just wondered what others thought! Is it worth revising assumptions from M1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be wise to do that.
Reply 33
Original post by Tiwa
I think it would be wise to do that.

Oh good - thanks for all of your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing M2 with OCR, commenting on this thread because there isn't a thread for OCR. Sorry If I'm intruding :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by CD223
Oh good - thanks for all of your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are very welcome! :smile::biggrin:. I just did the C3 Jan 2012 paper and got 57/75. That was just an A. It was a really diffcult paper. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to increase my mark average to higher 60s and even 70s?
Reply 36
Original post by Incubator
I'm doing M2 with OCR, commenting on this thread because there isn't a thread for OCR. Sorry If I'm intruding :biggrin:

You're not intruding at all! I assume the content is very similar haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Tiwa
You are very welcome! :smile::biggrin:. I just did the C3 Jan 2012 paper and got 57/75. That was just an A. It was a really diffcult paper. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do to increase my mark average to higher 60s and even 70s?

Hmm yeah I remember that being a hard paper. I would say purely to nail exam technique, attempt it in the way you would do it, then if it's wrong, look at the solution, then re attempt any questions you've got wrong like a day later so that it will test if you've learnt the 'correct' method.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Incubator

You're not intruding, but there is a thread for OCR. It hasn't gotten going like this one yet though.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3147113
Reply 39
Original post by CD223
Hmm yeah I remember that being a hard paper. I would say purely to nail exam technique, attempt it in the way you would do it, then if it's wrong, look at the solution, then re attempt any questions you've got wrong like a day later so that it will test if you've learnt the 'correct' method.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending