The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TornadoGR4
Wigan defender Juan Carlos Garcia has been diagnosed with a form of leukaemia, the club has announced.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/16/wigan-athletic-juan-carlos-garcia-leukaemia

Hoping he makes a full & speedy recovery

Wish him all the best!!

------------------------------------------

Home-tie with Farnborough tomorrow, but I'm still thinking about the semi-final this weekend. Excited and bricking-it all at once :lol:
Karanka looks like such a Bond villain. Only realised yesterday during their match with Arsenal.
Warburton is leaving at the end of the season. I'm ****ing ****ed off.
Original post by Jangrafess

Could go one of two ways. Players could play for him and show how wrong the decision is. Players could be equally as pissed off and go into some kind of meltdown ruining your great season to date.

Ridiculous decision anyway!
Why announce it now? Absolutely bizarre timing especially since the club are having the best season in their recent history. Either the guy has found a better job for next season or the board have found a puppet/a ''name'' to replace him.
Original post by sr90
Why announce it now? Absolutely bizarre timing especially since the club are having the best season in their recent history. Either the guy has found a better job for next season or the board have found a puppet/a ''name'' to replace him.

Apparently the Brentford owner was disappointed that Warburton didn't invest heavily in January. Not very often you hear that! I certainly think Warburton has either got an agreement with a Premier League or a 'bigger' Championship side.

Rayo Vallecano boss Paco Jemez is rumoured to be the replacement
Apparently the Brentford owner was disappointed that Warburton didn't invest heavily in January. Not very often you hear that! I certainly think Warburton has either got an agreement with a Premier League or a 'bigger' Championship side.

Rayo Vallecano boss Paco Jemez is rumoured to be the replacement

''Invest heavily'' its Brentford ffs, their budget is probably 10% of some of the sides around them.
I'll explain more later. Off to FC United atm.
Original post by Jangrafess

As you should be. If you get into the Premiership he should be staying, in fact if he gets the club into the play-offs he should.
5-1 Bath City at half-time.

Now 6-1 not long into the second half :gah: :gah: :gah:
Promoted from League One, top six of the Championship....sacked? You betcha. Nothing surprises me of this sport.
Original post by Mackay
Promoted from League One, top six of the Championship....sacked? You betcha. Nothing surprises me of this sport.

I think he may have had his head turned by another club personally, and his departure is more mutual than is being made out. But this is just me speculating.
Well he's the best thing since sliced bread at the moment, so it would make sense to take a bigger job and bring in the dough while he can.

Had to, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's totally mutual. No one except lazy journalists are calling it a sacking. It might seem strange to other football clubs, but we have an owner in whom we have complete trust. It's been his input far more than Warburton's that has steadied us over the last few years. Warburton obviously helped but a club is run by the entire back room staff and considering that we've been using a director of football system it's hard to judge how much of the recent success is solely the work of MW. That said, I believe he was the best manager of the last 50 years for us and I am absolutely gutted they couldn't reconcile their differences. However, in Matthew Benham I trust. He'll get us in a great replacement and our stock will continue to rise.

Here's our statement:

Club Statement

Brentford Football Club would like to update supporters on planned changes to the football management to come in to effect from the end of the season.

Club Owner Matthew Benham has met with Sporting Director Frank McParland, Manager Mark Warburton and Assistant Manager David Weir and the Club has reached agreement on terms for their departure.

The board, with Matthew’s approval, has made the decision that the trio will leave Brentford at the end of the 2014/15 season.

Mark and David will continue to work with the first-team on a day-to-day basis through to the end of the season with the support and backing of Matthew and the Club’s Board as Brentford push for promotion to the Premier League.

Matthew, a Brentford fan since 1979, who has owned the majority shareholding in the Club since June 2012, has decided to make changes in order to ensure the long-term prosperity of the Club.

Matthew and members of the Board have been in discussions with Manager Mark Warburton and other football staff about the future direction of the Club for many weeks, prior to stories appearing in the media last week.

As part of a remodelling of the Club’s football management, a Head Coach will be appointed to work alongside a new Sporting Director.

There will also be a new recruitment structure using a mixture of traditional scouting and other tools including mathematical modelling.

As part of the new recruitment structure, the Head Coach will have a strong input in to the players brought in to the Club but not an absolute veto.

The club wish to implement these changes in time for the next transfer window that opens this summer and to best ensure a smooth transition to the new recruitment model current Sporting Director Frank McParland has been placed on gardening leave.

The club want the new structure to be a long-term way of working which is independent of whoever is in the Head Coach role.

Frank, Mark and David have decided, following long discussions with Matthew that they feel unable to work under the changed structure and approach as it differs from their football philosophy.

Matthew Benham said: “I am a passionate Brentford fan and every decision I take is intended to be in the best long term interests of the Club.

“Some of the decisions taken to date have been easy and some, like this one, have been extremely hard.

Cliff Crown, Chairman of Brentford FC said: “Lots of clubs are criticised for short term thinking we want to take a long term view and put structures in place that both the Board and the owner believe will be to the benefit of Brentford FC for years to come.

“The new structure is unusual in English football, although commonplace in other European countries and in other sports.

“We would have loved for Mark to stay, working within the new structure, but he feels that this is not right for him.

“We understand that completely and had to weigh up the benefits of the new structure against losing a fantastically successful manager before taking this decision.

“Recent press articles made it impossible to continue orderly discussions in private about the next steps for the Club.

“We regret this happening and fully appreciate that the uncertainty and often inaccurate speculation has been unsatisfactory for fans.

“We must now focus totally on the remainder of the season.

Matthew Benham also said: “Under Mark’s stewardship, Brentford have achieved a high league position and played football which is a joy to watch.

“It is difficult to seek to implement change, particularly when things appear to be going so well, but I am single minded in my resolve that we can leave no stone unturned in our quest for sustainable Premier League Football.

“Innovation, not increased funding, can be the only route to success for clubs such as ours, and I fully accept that innovation is never without risk.

“We are continuing to build a strong base for the future.

“Everything has been perfectly amicable between all parties and we remain friends.”

Mark Warburton said: “I will be forever grateful to Matthew for giving me the opportunity to be Manager of this fantastic Football Club and for what he has done for the Club since I have been here.

“It has been an absolute honour and a privilege to do the job and I have had the pleasure of working with a fantastic group of players and staff and have enjoyed the backing of a magnificent set of supporters.

“While I am disappointed that we have been unable to reconcile some key philosophical differences, I’m relieved we now have clarity.

“In my remaining time at the Club we shall move heaven and earth to get the promotion that the players, fans and Matthew deserve and going forward, I wish the club every success in its ongoing adventure.

“I have enormous respect for Matthew and his investment in the Club and he has the absolute right to run the club in the manner he deems most appropriate and beneficial.

“I have the privilege of managing an outstanding group of players, a group which has demonstrated a work ethic, a harmony and no shortage of quality.

“David and I, and indeed all the staff, remain totally focussed on supporting this squad of players and ensuring they are best prepared for each and every remaining fixture this season.

“Please be absolutely reassured that nothing will detract from our work for Brentford Football Club between now and the end of the season.”
I think he may have had his head turned by another club personally, and his departure is more mutual than is being made out. But this is just me speculating.

Doubt it. All evidence points to Brentford not thinking he's the long-term man to take them forward.
We won 7-4...7-4!!!. We were 7-1 up, so we decided to concede 3 hahaaaa, forever making it hard for ourselves :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reading at home !!! One more game and we could be at Wembley !!!!
Dele Alli continuing his good run of form before ending up at WHL.
Birmingham 1-0 up against 'Boro who have had their keeper Konstantopoulos sent off. These slip ups are allowing the play off hopefuls to challenge for auto-promotion. Hopefully 'Boro will feel the effects of this game on Saturday when we travel to the Riverside for the early kick-off
Very interesting, thought Ipswich were falling away but the top 3 all dropping points on there last match day makes it interesting.

Personally we need to put a run of 3/4 wins together before the Derby game.

Quick Reply

Latest