The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pre reg
Original post by Ibn Fulaan
I am a muslim. Tawheed is a muslim. That makes it obligatory on me to correct him when i believe he has erred or to discuss with him so we may both arrive at the correct conclusion.

if i see something i take issue with i will make it known to the individual no matter who it is.

As for why i posted the link here its because i believe it is just as important if not more important to point out the mistakes done in the name of fighting oppression than it is to point out the glaringly obviously and well publicised crimes of the oppressor.

I appreciate this post and always invite anyone to give opposing views , without either i or the other turning it into a debate
Truly disturbing news, that a "black" man was pushed off boarding a train while chelsea fangs sang 'we're racist, we're racist'. It is interesting here to note Muhammed pbuh did not go down the line of trying to hilight the superiority of the 'arab race' to further his own cause or win favours among the 'arabs'. He championed those who were opressed in society, married widows and old, broke oppressive taboo's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31514168

Do we forget the first caller to prayer and among the highest in rank of the companions was a 'black' man Hazrat Bilal r.a?

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ أَلَا إِنَّ رَبَّكُمْ وَاحِدٌ وَإِنَّ أَبَاكُمْ وَاحِدٌ أَلَا لَا فَضْلَ لِعَرَبِيٍّ عَلَى أَعْجَمِيٍّ وَلَا لِعَجَمِيٍّ عَلَى عَرَبِيٍّ وَلَا لِأَحْمَرَ عَلَى أَسْوَدَ وَلَا أَسْوَدَ عَلَى أَحْمَرَ إِلَّا بِالتَّقْوَى أَبَلَّغْتُ

O people, your Lord is one and your father Adam is one. There is no favoritism of an Arab over a foreigner, nor a foreigner over an Arab, and neither red skin over black skin, nor black skin over red skin, except through righteousness. Have I not conveyed the message?
Source: Musnad Ahmad 22978, Grade: Sahih
- See more at: http://www.faithinallah.org/islam-is-against-racism-and-bigotry/#sthash.5lKHGnhk.dpuf

يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ إِنَّا خَلَقْنَاكُم مِّن ذَكَرٍ وَأُنثَىٰ وَجَعَلْنَاكُمْ شُعُوبًا وَقَبَائِلَ لِتَعَارَفُوا إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَلِيمٌ خَبِيرٌ

O mankind, We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Verily, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Verily, Allah is knowing and aware.
Surat Al-Hujurat 49:13
- See more at: http://www.faithinallah.org/islam-is-against-racism-and-bigotry/#sthash.5lKHGnhk.dpuf

I wonder, could people justify racism under 'freedom of speech'. Or must we acknowledge, like we jail people for physical acts, the tongue is sharper than the sword, and verbal words have far more devastating effects at times than physical actions, in truly harming the fabric and peace of a society?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Incredible97

Mashallah this was very inspirational and I'm so happy I came across this post. I took my time reading this as i didn't want it to end. May Allah be pleased with you and give you the highest place in Janaah.

Salamunalykum,

All praise belongs to Allah swt, and not myself.

Part 2 of the debate brother:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ilovereading

You DONT like nutella?!

:biggrin: nope idk why for me it's the hazelnut that gives it a weird taste
Prophet Jesus' Behavior Towards His Mother
Bible says:
John 2:3-4
3When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."
4"Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied, "My time has not yet come."
Matthew 12:47-49
47Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you."[a]
48He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" 49Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers.
Quran says:
Surah 19:30-32
He said: "I am indeed a servant of God: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; "And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; "(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable;
I have been engaging in more debates lately, expanding on my knowledge or rechecking , and i must say, the more you learn about Islam, the stronger your faith gets. My advise is, be open to challenge's, debates, and discussions.

Muhammed pbuh, his ahlulbayt a.s, and the loyal among his companions often did.
My post is not intended to offend christians, but merely to academically discuss issues with them in a manner i hope is equitible and polite, as the Quran says "Invite all to the way of your lord through wisdom and beautiful preaching, and argue with them in ways that are best.."

It would be a strawman to argue that muslims are against the idea of a triune God simply because the Quran says so. The Quran in several occasions expands upon the oneness of God also.

Why muslims are against the 'trinity'.

1. God is not numerical, has no form, can not be divided or undergo change. God being one means in his essence, there can only be 'God'. Something must exist by necessity of it's own existence, or nothing would exist. Material existence is contingent, and there are a plethora of arguments for a immaterial creator not confined to space, limitations, or contingencies. The creator therefore can not quantified by two or three, and therefore is 'one' by the meaning the 'only one'. Can a transcendent, immaterial reality also be a corporal, contingent, physical one? Can God create a rock he can't lift? Can God not become God, are all contradictory baseless questions.

2. IF God can be confined to a body he ceases to be God by the very arguments that we used to prove his existence.

3. The idea of Jesus coming to die for our sins was invented. Therefore what was also invented was he must be God or part of God somehow, because only such a great status is enough to absolve for our sins. Islam rejects such a concept. We are all liable for our sins, the Quran tells us that no soul shall bear the burden of another. No-one has died for our sins. With the facets of intelligence, of our own choice and deduction do we pave the path to our own ultimate destiny. Despite this, we will all be , If God wills, judged by the mercy of God, who we declare his mercy daily several times.

4. Even in the Bible, do you see Jesus pbuh preaching monotheism - even though the bible in itself is corrupted:

The most important commandment in the entire Bible is that God is not trinity, but one in unique oness.

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one". Bible

The 'Son of God' title is given to other prophets of God too.

In Exodus 4:22 "Thus saith Jehovah, Israel is my son, even my firstborn." Israel was called God's First Son.
In Jeremiah 31:9 "I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn."Ephraim is God's First Son and First Born.
In Psalm 2:7 "....Jehovah had said onto me (David), thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee." David was called God's Begotten Son.

There is no place where Jesus pbuh himself to my knowledge uses the word trinity.

You see traces of pure monotheism in the Bible, with corruption ofcourse.

I will leave you with these hadiths:

Al Kafi
H 313, Ch. 16, h 4 Graded Sahih by Alama Majlisi
The Imam said, "There is nothing in the universe, but that is subject to annihilation, alteration, change, decay, transition from one color to another, from one shape to another and from one quality to another. They increase, decrease and change from decrease to increase, except He, Who is the Lord of the worlds. He alone is eternal and in one state. He is the first, before every thing and the last eternally.His attributes and names do not change as they do in the case of others. A man at one time is dust, at other time flesh and blood, then turns into decaying bones and finally becomes dust. A piece of date at one time is raw, at another time ripe, mature and then it dries up. With every change, the names and attributes also change. Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious is different from all such things."

Al Kafi:
Graded Muwathaq
He said: I said to Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: I heard Hisham b. al-Hakam narrate from you that Allah has a body, supported by light, His recognition is necessary and He bestows this [knowledge] upon whom He wills from the creation. So he عليه السلام said: Glorified be He, whom no one knows how He is except Himself. There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the Hearing, the Seeing. He cannot be limited, nor can He be felt, nor can He be moved, nor can He be comprehended [by sight, nor by] the senses, nor can He be contained in anything, nor does He have a body, nor does He have a form, nor a figure, nor a confine. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 278)
(edited 9 years ago)
Salam bros and sisters, quick q, what should I do in a situation where you have no time, but a student (you don't know too well) is struggling and needs your help. But you don't have time to help. I am in this situation, I want to help her but I need to focus on my work as we've a deadline. What shall I do? I've given her a copy of my work, but she doesn't understand it. :frown:
Original post by Khodu
Salam bros and sisters, quick q, what should I do in a situation where you have no time, but a student (you don't know too well) is struggling and needs your help. But you don't have time to help. I am in this situation, I want to help her but I need to focus on my work as we've a deadline. What shall I do? I've given her a copy of my work, but she doesn't understand it. :frown:

Salamunalaykum sister,

I hope this can be of help.

I don't recommend giving her your work as you have done. Make sure she does not copy it or plagerize, and that the work she produces is of her own.

Ask her if she understands any of the assignment. If she does , try to find out if there are core concepts she does not understand.

Look at your work - what are the main concepts of the assignment or project? Perhaps spend time talking to her about the key issues, and the core concepts.

There are many youtube videos, online resources etc one can use for help.

In the future, advise them to seek help from a teacher and sort these problems early on!

I pray for you and hope the best inshAllah.
Original post by Tawheed
Salamunalaykum sister,

I hope this can be of help.

I don't recommend giving her your work as you have done. Make sure she does not copy it or plagerize, and that the work she produces is of her own.

Ask her if she understands any of the assignment. If she does , try to find out if there are core concepts she does not understand.

Look at your work - what are the main concepts of the assignment or project? Perhaps spend time talking to her about the key issues, and the core concepts.

There are many youtube videos, online resources etc one can use for help.

In the future, advise them to seek help from a teacher and sort these problems early on!

I pray for you and hope the best inshAllah.

Thank you for your reply.

It's programming and she doesn't know how to use the software. Which took me weeks to figure out. Audhu billah, I feel terrible not helping her.
Original post by Khodu
Thank you for your reply.

It's programming and she doesn't know how to use the software. Which took me weeks to figure out. Audhu billah, I feel terrible not helping her.

Any idea what sort of programme? JAVA?

There are video tutorials on youtube, which are actually useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1fu6f8Hto

Khan Academy also have fantastic tutorials: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

You only do what you feel is the best you can do within your means and resources. Your intentions also count:smile:
Original post by Khodu

Walaikum assalam,

Sorry if I sound harsh but her academic work is not your responsibility (unless you're group partners).

Giving her a copy of your work was quite gracious of you (even though you have risked plagiarism) so you have done what you can for now.

Finish your work first and then help her out. Tell her you're struggling with the assignment yourself so how could you help her? Meanwhile she can ask the teacher and TA's for help (email them or show up during their office hours).

EDIT:
For future assignments, you can form a study group with her and others (so you can help each other well in advance).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Khodu

Wa'alaikum assalaam help her in your spare time by giving her links and stuff, the main concepts you know well tell her to keep practising as that's what helped you most. But let her know that you have a deadline and can't help as much as you would like to and apologise for that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Assalamualaikum all :biggrin:

I miss all of you, it's been quite some time since I last posted. But but, I do read what you guys wrote though.

Just read the last 30 pages recently- took me a while, but it's worth it.

You guys are super fun
Original post by kyoti
:biggrin: nope idk why for me it's the hazelnut that gives it a weird taste

Whenever I am bored or hungry, I just grab a spoon and the nutella and dig in. It has become a bad habit. I LOVE hazelnut<3 But I hate almonds...
Original post by HSafirah
Assalamualaikum all :biggrin:

I miss all of you, it's been quite some time since I last posted. But but, I do read what you guys wrote though.

Just read the last 30 pages recently- took me a while, but it's worth it.

You guys are super fun

WalaikumAsalaam

We miss you too, Mashallah that's good Sis
Aw bless you, Alhamdullilah everyone is super fast. I appreciate everyone's posts and and efforts.

How are you? Is everything fine?
Original post by Incredible97
WalaikumAsalaam

We miss you too, Mashallah that's good Sis
Aw bless you, Alhamdullilah everyone is super fast. I appreciate everyone's posts and and efforts.

How are you? Is everything fine?

Yaldaaaa :jumphug:

Their posts are really beneficial. Good for us!

Alhamdulillah, I'm good. Fine so far. How are you?

[Source: Tafseer Ibn Kathir]
Original post by Tawheed
Any idea what sort of programme? JAVA?

There are video tutorials on youtube, which are actually useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1fu6f8Hto

Khan Academy also have fantastic tutorials: https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-programming

You only do what you feel is the best you can do within your means and resources. Your intentions also count:smile:

Original post by Ankabout
Walaikum assalam,

Sorry if I sound harsh but her academic work is not your responsibility (unless you're group partners).

Giving her a copy of your work was quite gracious of you (even though you have risked plagiarism) so you have done what you can for now.

Finish your work first and then help her out. Tell her you're struggling with the assignment yourself so how could you help her? Meanwhile she can ask the teacher and TA's for help (email them or show up during their office hours).

EDIT:
For future assignments, you can form a study group with her and others (so you can help each other well in advance).

Original post by kyoti
Wa'alaikum assalaam help her in your spare time by giving her links and stuff, the main concepts you know well tell her to keep practising as that's what helped you most. But let her know that you have a deadline and can't help as much as you would like to and apologise for that.

Thank you all very much, it's MATLAB. I will help her as much as I can, do still feel really bad though. i have told her that I would have helped her more if I had time and I am struggling too and we can work together in the next assignment. I hope she doesn't copy my work as I've been working on this assignment for weeks. Audhu Billah

You guys are amazing, masha Allah. :awesome:

Latest

Trending

Trending