The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

What do you think of my A-Levels choices?

A-Level Computer Science
A-Level Mathematics
A-Level Business
A-Level ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE

James
(edited 9 years ago)
Computer Science and Maths, great. The other two, not so great. I would recommend Further Maths and/or Chem/Physics/Electronics.
Hiya,
They are fine because they give you a variety of subjects if you're not sure what you want to do.
If you were to change any of them I would change business as it doesn't link very well with the others. If you took a science, particularly physics it would open up more career choices. :smile:
Not bad. Depends what you want do at university and that will determine whether that is a good combination.
Reply 4
I'm thinking about doing Computer Science at uni.
It depends on the career you want to go into, for example english language/lit is good if you want to go into things like Law... but not so good for if you wanted to study science /maths degree at university, however business is not a good level as its seen as a soft subject, something like economics would be a better choice as even top business / finance degree's , the business a level wont be seen highly upon.

Apart from that your first two choices are good and even the english lit and lan are good as it shows you got good written skills
Reply 6
So I've changed business to physics and added further maths. Do you think this is a good combination?

A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics
A-Level Physics
A-Level English Language
A-Level Computer Science
Original post by jhburton7
So I've changed business to physics and added further maths. Do you think this is a good combination?

A-Level Mathematics and Further Mathematics
A-Level Physics
A-Level English Language
A-Level Computer Science

This is a great combination. Possibly changing English Language to a MFL/Economics would be smart.
Reply 8
change english to econ, well except if you like english.
The most versatile subject combination for a science student:
-Chem
-Bio/Phy (depeding on what sort of sciences u want to do at uni)
-Math
-Any humanities subject that u think u would probably be interested in and might study it at uni ( usually econs ,geography, history or lit)
What do you think the my A-Levels choices?

A-Level Computer Science
A-Level Mathematics
A-Level Business

James

This combination is perfectly fine for Computer Science. You don't have to do Further Maths or Physics, so only do them if you really want to and think you can.

Keep in mind whilst it's important to have subjects related to what you want to do, which you already do with Comp Sci and Maths, in order to succeed you also need to do subjects you enjoy. So if you enjoy Business and English, do them instead of Further Maths and Physics. The only time Further Maths and Physics is somewhat mandatory is if you're applying to places such as Oxford and really high up top 5 unis. Otherwise, just Comp Sci and Maths A-Level are more than enough to get you a solid place in any uni in the top 20s provided you get the grades. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm thinking about doing Computer Science at uni.

Then this would be a good combination;

Mathematics
Physics
Computer Science
Economics

If you want to do Computer Science at somewhere like Oxbridge or Imperial, I recommend that you also do Further Maths.
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you think of my A-Levels choices?

A-Level Computer Science
A-Level Mathematics
A-Level Business

James

I read you want to study computer science at uni, I think doing maths and computer science is good, I suggest another science if your 100000% sure that’s what you want to do career wise. However, I suggest having a backup a level subject such as e.g graphics, as then your opportunities are not as limited if that makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest