The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em-mitch
I have an offer for MH nursing 2015 at king's and I was just wondering if anyone knows much about the accommodation? Like which ones are the better places to be in and are there certain ones that nurses have to apply to? (because we are at uni for more weeks in the year) Thanks!

Nursing is taught in Waterloo so Stamford Street Apartments is your best bet if you want to live close since the campus is literally opposite! I got an offer for Adult but I think I'm going to have to go for Wolfson House since most of them are too expensive :frown:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by smariakatrina
Nursing is taught in Waterloo so Stamford Street Apartments is your best bet if you want to live close since the campus is literally opposite! I got an offer for Adult but I think I'm going to have to go for Wolfson House since most of them are too expensive :frown:

Ahhh, imo the best King's residence out there, literally opposite the campus which is so convenient. Because of that, it is known as one of the hardest accommodation to get, I was lucky to get it but due to the sudden placement offer I had to let it go. I'll try again this year though!
Original post by MPN
Ahhh, imo the best King's residence out there, literally opposite the campus which is so convenient. Because of that, it is known as one of the hardest accommodation to get, I was lucky to get it but due to the sudden placement offer I had to let it go. I'll try again this year though!

Yeah, I'd love to go to Stamford but I could do so much more with that £40 extra! Do you know anyone who lives in Wolfson or have any idea what it's like to live there? I heard that it's quite social?
Reply 4
Hey people! I am going to study Pharmacy which is located at Waterloo Campus...
But I can't afford Stamford Street Apartments so I might choose Wolfson!
Is it advisable? I'm an international student and I tried google map it, it shows that it will take about 20mins bus ride from Wolfson to Waterloo campus...
Original post by darcySY
Is it advisable? I'm an international student and I tried google map it, it shows that it will take about 20mins bus ride from Wolfson to Waterloo campus...

I heard it's about a 30 minute walk :smile: I'm also going to be based in Waterloo and might put Wolfson as my first since it's one of the cheapest!
Reply 6
Yeah, I'd love to go to Stamford but I could do so much more with that £40 extra! Do you know anyone who lives in Wolfson or have any idea what it's like to live there? I heard that it's quite social?

Hmmm, I have heard that Wolfson is also a very popular choice due to its price. It has a rather good reputation, people are happy there from what I have heard and since you're gonna live in London, saving even £40 is worth it! There is so much you can spend it on if you like going out, such as for theatre, cinema, street markets etc

Original post by darcySY

Tbh the distance doesn't matter much, as a student you are gonna walk a lot here and there is so much around in London. Most of my friends all live really far from campuses, like zone 2-3, they have to use the underground but they save a lot on the accommodation. Those living not that far but not really close either, like from Wolfson to Waterloo indeed walk about 25-30mins (trust me you don't want to spend £2-3 each way on the bus/tube every weekday, you're gonna be broke asap!) but they find the morning walk quite relaxing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MPN
Hmmm, I have heard that Wolfson is also a very popular choice due to its price. It has a rather good reputation, people are happy there from what I have heard and since you're gonna live in London, saving even £40 is worth it! There is so much you can spend it on if you like going out, such as for theatre, cinema, street markets etc

Yeah, I'll definitely have to reserve a place as soon as its April since that's when we can apply! That's good to hear :smile: Thanks so much for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yeah, I'll definitely have to reserve a place as soon as its April since that's when we can apply! That's good to hear :smile: Thanks so much for the help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the application on first come first serve basis?
Has anyone heard of any cases like intl students fail to secure an accommodation place for first year even though they put King's as their firm choice and submitted the application before deadline?
It's my first time studying in England so I'm worried I might not be guaranteed an accommodation place for my first year and end up seeking private-sector accommodation :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by MPN

Tbh the distance doesn't matter much, as a student you are gonna walk a lot here and there is so much around in London. Most of my friends all live really far from campuses, like zone 2-3, they have to use the underground but they save a lot on the accommodation. Those living not that far but not really close either, like from Wolfson to Waterloo indeed walk about 25-30mins (trust me you don't want to spend £2-3 each way on the bus/tube every weekday, you're gonna be broke asap!) but they find the morning walk quite relaxing.

Ah I see! Thank you for answering! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by darcySY
Is the application on first come first serve basis?
Has anyone heard of any cases like intl students fail to secure an accommodation place for first year even though they put King's as their firm choice and submitted the application before deadline?
It's my first time studying in England so I'm worried I might not be guaranteed an accommodation place for my first year and end up seeking private-sector accommodation :frown:

Yes, it is on the first comes first serve basis and there is a priority list and the order of applicants depends on what criteria you fulfil, such as:
- being an overseas student
- being first year
- not living with King's before
- being outside M25 (for UK students living in London within M25, this is a lower priority)
- etc etc

Sadly you are NOT 100% guaranteed to get a room before the academic year starts so in that case you might end up being with shared house with other unsuccessful applicants or go for bloody expensive private halls. However, if you keep you application still on, it will be still considered until a room in any of your choice residences becomes available and then it is up to you if you want to accept the offer.

King's also have a mid-term session in Oct/Nov where you can reapply again if you still want to live with King's, but again, you might not get anything you like at all and until then you need a place to anyway.

You are quarantined at least 1 YEAR in King's residences, first years overseas students should be the highest priority so I think you should get anything from your top 5-6 choices. I know that a lot of continuing students were able to get a room for their second and even final year, we were able to apply in Feb/March. I was very lucky to get my first choice for my next year but I regrettably had to decline it to take up on the placement offer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
What are the most social intercollegiate halls? I heard the garden halls were really social but commonwealth, hughes parry, and canterbury are closed this year for refurbishing. I heard connaught hall is really outgoing but I don't know what to put as my other two choices!
Original post by MPN
Yes, it is on the first comes first serve basis and there is a priority list and the order of applicants depends on what criteria you fulfil, such as:
- being an overseas student
- being first year
- not living with King's before
- being outside M25 (for UK students living in London within M25, this is a lower priority)
- etc etc

Sadly you are NOT 100% guaranteed to get a room before the academic year starts so in that case you might end up being with shared house with other unsuccessful applicants or go for bloody expensive private halls. However, if you keep you application still on, it will be still considered until a room in any of your choice residences becomes available and then it is up to you if you want to accept the offer.

King's also have a mid-term session in Oct/Nov where you can reapply again if you still want to live with King's, but again, you might not get anything you like at all and until then you need a place to anyway.

You are quarantined at least 1 YEAR in King's residences, first years overseas students should be the highest priority so I think you should get anything from your top 5-6 choices. I know that a lot of continuing students were able to get a room for their second and even final year, we were able to apply in Feb/March. I was very lucky to get my first choice for my next year but I regrettably had to decline it to take up on the placement offer.

This is the first time I hear it's on a first comes first served basis. I remember reading there's a deadline and all applications are equal.
I'm currently a first year, laying in my bed at Stamford Street apartments. The accommodation is NOT first come first served. They take the applicants and use a matching system. Then certain students get priority as you said ex: being international.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by emanueladiana
This is the first time I hear it's on a first comes first served basis. I remember reading there's a deadline and all applications are equal.

Well, it is like first comes first served as there is a priority list and depending on what criteria you fulfil, you are either higher or lower on that list. Yes, there is a deadline, until when of course nobody knows what they get yet but, for example, let's say you and another person have the same priority rank but if that other person had applied earlier than you then he/she will be considered first before you and if he/she choose similar choices like you then they will give whatever room still available to that person and so your choices get more and more limited, hence why you have to choose so many options in case you don't get the first choice, it is known that students often gets their top 5 choices. So now imagine hundreds of students applying for a room and many will share a similar priority rank and whoever applied first is higher on the list which is why it is recommended to apply as soon as possible.
Original post by MPN
Well, it is like first comes first served as there is a priority list and depending on what criteria you fulfil, you are either higher or lower on that list. Yes, there is a deadline, until when of course nobody knows what they get yet but, for example, let's say you and another person have the same priority rank but if that other person had applied earlier than you then he/she will be considered first before you and if he/she choose similar choices like you then they will give whatever room still available to that person and so your choices get more and more limited, hence why you have to choose so many options in case you don't get the first choice, it is known that students often gets their top 5 choices. So now imagine hundreds of students applying for a room and many will share a similar priority rank and whoever applied first is higher on the list which is why it is recommended to apply as soon as possible.

Huh, didn't know that. I hope I'll get my first choice, I seem to be blessed with the highest priority.
Reply 16
Anyone thinking about the UoL Intercollegiate Halls?
Original post by MG1762
Anyone thinking about the UoL Intercollegiate Halls?

I think I'm going to put that as my fourth choice!
Original post by Lookovertherez
I'm currently a first year, laying in my bed at Stamford Street apartments. The accommodation is NOT first come first served. They take the applicants and use a matching system. Then certain students get priority as you said ex: being international.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's Stamford like? It was originally my first choice as I will be mainly based in Waterloo and wanted to live close but it might be best for me to just go into shared bathrooms since I would save so much more money... I heard Wolfson is a lot more sociable than Stamford and was wondering if this is true in your case?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rohan1811
Is anyone considering Moonraker point? I'm on strand campus, so i thought it may be a practical choice for next year.
Also when does the actual application process open?

April 6 for 2015 undergraduates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest