The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dilumeria
I can't decide between Portsmouth, essex and coventry university to study straight econ. Any advice/help would be breather appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey!
Congratulations on all your offers! Choosing a university can be really difficult so try not to stress about it - it's good that you want to make sure you make the right decision. Have you been to an open day yet? When I was trying to decide open days were really helpful for me, before I attended any I was pretty set on going to one place, but it turned out I really didn't like it at all, where as when I got to Coventry it felt like home. Open days give you loads of opportunities to chat to current staff and students on your course and find out how they feel about it all too. I didn't study economics at Coventry but I do have a friend who did, and they loved it just as much as me even if we were in different departments, she's now working for the ONS so she's done well for herself. I know the economics course here are a pretty lively and dedicated bunch, they even have their own society.

Like I say take you time thinking it through, visit open days if you can. And look at the course content! The same course at a different university can be completely different, and its about whats going to work best for you at the end of the day. If you have any questions we can help with, don't hesitate to drop us a line on here though or email our admissions team - we're here to help!

Best of luck with the big decision. Let us know how you get on :smile:
- Josh
Reply 2981
Original post by abccba120
Ahh fair enough & yeh I know the 3 you're on about 😄. My stats are on the previous page on this thread. I applied LSE,UCL Bath,Bristol & Birmingham, what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah thats sick man, I had 10A*s and 2As at GCSE but ABBB at AS. I still managed to be predicted A*A*A* + A* in welsh bac tho loooooool. I'm waiting on UCL and Warwick, got offers from Bath and Nottingham, and was rejected by Oxford cos of my AS grades so I might take a gap year. You've applied to good unis, have you got any other offers yet?
Original post by Cov Uni
Hey!
Congratulations on all your offers! Choosing a university can be really difficult so try not to stress about it - it's good that you want to make sure you make the right decision. Have you been to an open day yet? When I was trying to decide open days were really helpful for me, before I attended any I was pretty set on going to one place, but it turned out I really didn't like it at all, where as when I got to Coventry it felt like home. Open days give you loads of opportunities to chat to current staff and students on your course and find out how they feel about it all too. I didn't study economics at Coventry but I do have a friend who did, and they loved it just as much as me even if we were in different departments, she's now working for the ONS so she's done well for herself. I know the economics course here are a pretty lively and dedicated bunch, they even have their own society.

Like I say take you time thinking it through, visit open days if you can. And look at the course content! The same course at a different university can be completely different, and its about whats going to work best for you at the end of the day. If you have any questions we can help with, don't hesitate to drop us a line on here though or email our admissions team - we're here to help!

Best of luck with the big decision. Let us know how you get on :smile:
- Josh

No one is going to coventry fam
Reply 2983
Original post by MrBowcat

LOOOOOL man like MrBowcat got no chill
Original post by fha96
Ah thats sick man, I had 10A*s and 2As at GCSE but ABBB at AS. I still managed to be predicted A*A*A* + A* in welsh bac tho loooooool. I'm waiting on UCL and Warwick, got offers from Bath and Nottingham, and was rejected by Oxford cos of my AS grades so I might take a gap year. You've applied to good unis, have you got any other offers yet?

Yeh I was told about Bassaleg and their predicted grades , nice . I have offers from Bath,Bham,Bristol & an invite to open day at UCL, just waiting on LSE now

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fha96
Hahaha I'm at Bassaleg . Wbu? Oh well I'm sure unis won't care what you did it on as long as you got that distinction

Ahh I'm at St Joes, so I'm guessing you don't do economics at A level since you're not in my economics class?

I'm from Caerleon lol! I guess theres a few of us Newport guys going to study economics!!!

There's really no need to be rude. Some people might want to go there...
Original post by sr234
There's really no need to be rude. Some people might want to go there...

Anyone that wants the live in Coventry needs help
Original post by Askaud
Anyone that wants the live in Coventry needs help

Why is that?
Original post by sr234
Why is that?

You've clearly never been to coventry...
You've clearly never been to coventry...

Actually I live there.

Joke. Haha but seriously it can't be that bad..
Reply 2991
Original post by sr234
Actually I live there.

A guy got stabbed there for stepping on someones fresh new J's. It really is that bad
Original post by fha96
A guy got stabbed there for stepping on someones fresh new J's. It really is that bad

That's stab worthy 😐
Original post by sr234
Actually I live there.

I would rather live inside a Nigerian hippopotamus' rectum, feeding off it's faeces for life, than live in Coventry. It would less violent, more aesthetically pleasing, and I would be surrounding by more intelligent organisms.
I would rather live inside a Nigerian hippopotamus' rectum, feeding off it's faeces for life, than live in Coventry. It would less violent, more aesthetically pleasing, and I would be surrounding by more intelligent organisms.

You can't assume that people who live in Coventry are less intelligent than the rest of us. Also isn't Warwick one of your choices? I'm pretty sure it's in Coventry...
Original post by Puffin Boffin
I'm from Caerleon lol! I guess theres a few of us Newport guys going to study economics!!!

Lol thats 3/8 high schools in Newport. Arguably the best 3 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol thats 3/8 high schools in Newport. Arguably the best 3 😄

Lol where are you headed I've firmed LSE? :smile:
Original post by sr234
You can't assume that people who live in Coventry are less intelligent than the rest of us. Also isn't Warwick one of your choices? I'm pretty sure it's in Coventry...

I lived in Coventry when I was at Warwick. It seem kind of I dunno, like it's a step behind the rest of the country. Tbh it's not much worse than Leicester but those are easily the two worst cities I've been to in Europe/America by some way imo
Original post by Wahrheit
I lived in Coventry when I was at Warwick. It seem kind of I dunno, like it's a step behind the rest of the country. Tbh it's not much worse than Leicester but those are easily the two worst cities I've been to in Europe/America by some way imo

I can see what you mean, I've never actually been to Coventry but I've been to Leicester and it's not very exciting:tongue:
Original post by Puffin Boffin
Lol where are you headed I've firmed LSE? :smile:

Nice! I'm not sure yet, got offers from Bath, Bristol,Bham & invite to UCL open day, still waiting on LSE :P Atm it's between UCL , Bath or Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending