The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kaleyelizabeth96
OCR for biology and chemistry and AQA for maths.

Hi

What modules did you take for math AS and A2?
Original post by Haych97
Hi

What modules did you take for math AS and A2?

I did Core maths with statistics so C1,2,3,4 and SB1, SB2 ? I think that's what you call them.
:smile: well done
Original post by GemG
I got BCDD in my first year (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Physics) and came out with ABB in Biology, Chemistry and English Lit yesterday. It was a lot of hard work, and will be harder without January resits but it can still be done :smile:

Did you retake any of your exams to get those grades?
Original post by teen1234
ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september:biggrin:

Hey man, well done! I'm kind of in the same situation as you - in A2 now - just wondering did you take any resits? Also what unis did you apply for? (if you don't mind me asking bro)

please respond! thanks.
Original post by DrMeredithGrey
I went from ABCD at AS to A*A*A at A2!

Hey, i got those grades for AS too last yr, just wondering, did you do any resits and if you dont mind me asking, did you get any offers and from where?

well done btw and thanks.
Is it possible to turn a D grade into an A grade in maths with one resit? Anyone previously tried it?
Got a B for Law , C for Business Studies and D for Economics. Pretty upset for Economics but I knew that I wasn't going to do well anyway. Just confused about my Business cause my friend who usually does pretty well got a C too.
Any advice on how to improve my Economics? Just want to get a B for the A-level exams soon.
Hey all, I've just received my AS results today. I was expecting better results as this is my second time doing my AS examination. My previous results were CCD. My latest result is CCC. I'm unsure of what to do next. Could someone help me please? Is it possible to improve my results to AAA-BBB for my A2 if I decide not to retake my papers? My subjects are Maths, Psychology, and Economics. Help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hey all, I just got my AS results today. It's my second time doing my AS. My results are CCC. Could anyone advice me what I should do next? I'm kinda scared and unsure of my next plans. I want to do business administration once I've completed my A-levels
Hi, I'm currently in A2, studying Psychology, Sociology & History. My AS results were AABC which I found was good but also mediocre because I didn't like C's but anyway the C was in English which I hated so I dropped that quick smart (ASAP) & was left with AAB. I found that quiet decent for AS as everyone in my year done so bad. My problem is this year, I'm having difficulty applying even a fraction of the effort applied in AS. For example, in AS, I could smash 2/3 hours a day easy in terms of revision. This year, I literally haven't done any revision & I'm falling behind. Not to mention this year is ten times harder than AS, at least in psychology. If anyone studies any of those subjects, would you mind helping me out on some revision techniques, notes or revision guides. Anything that you think might make life easier.
Original post by nukethemaly
During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

Hi

I am sitting the same subjects as you and acquired the same AS Level result as you, however I am only aiming for ABB. I just wanted to know what kinda like revision and extra work you did. Such as note taking, past papers. Because at the moment Im currently going through the stage where Im starting to slack as I'm going through this point where Im feeling its just all too much.

I know you posted over a year ago but if you are still around it would be great.

George
Reply 652
I got CCCDE in Maths, Chem, GenStudies, FMaths, Physics respectively in my AS...I decided to retake the year for many reasons, dropping FMaths and picking up Biology.

Upon my retake I got ABBBBC in Maths Chem Bio Physics GenStudies FMaths with 99% in the A for maths. My FMaths grade also went up as I didnt want a D on my record so I retook one module and got an A in it pushing my low D to high C.

During my first year I was very relaxed, having achieved only 1A*6As6Bs at GCSE and coming 2nd in my high school with 0% effort. I literally just attended class and didnt even know what past papers were. Coming to AS I wanted to do well but had the same attitude of "my time" never bothering to complete homeworks set as I had no homeworks at high school so wasnt use to it and generally didnt work till like in some cases days to my exam where I pretty much learnt the syllabus. I got DDUU in my mocks before the exams and this was literally like 2 weeks before the real exams. Although I think the hardcore revision I did in those few days enabled me to learn a lot of what we've been taught, a lot of silly mistakes and minor slip ups due to lack of practise killed me in the exam.

Retaking the year I did significantly more work, trying my best to complete homeworks even though not all homeworks where still completed. I however did work this time around but couldnt be bother practising things I thought were basic. For maths I completed the exercises we are normally meant to do in class and the past papers before the exam. The only difference this time was close to the exam I didnt work as hard as I did last year and as a result ended up with the results I got. All my Bs were 78% which was weird but I am currently at A2 aiming for A*AA in Maths, Chem, Bio respectively with an A in FMaths....resitting an extra module.
Do you think i left revision too late?:frown:
I'm doing math, bio and chem (7A2 and 3AS-resits). All my exams are in June (except a C1 resit) so i have 3 months left. If i do revise intensely from now and i'm talking roughly 7-12hrs a day (most schl days i get home around 1300-ish and weekends i'm free all day).

Some thing to note: for AS i got ABCD in bio, chem, math and phys respectively with about a month revision for bio, few weeks for chem, a week for math and few days for physics.

I'm not naturally smart or anything like that and haven't concentrated as well as I should've in class this yr.

Do you think there enough time for me to get prepared for my exams for A*AA-AAA grades?

Thanks for reading, I tried to keep it short.
Original post by samboJ
Well my story isn't so great as others - and neither are my final grades - but I'm happy with the outcome so why not share (*brag).

AS: CDDD (Business, Maths, Economics, German respectively).

Dropped German. Retook every single AS exam apart from German along with my A2's (in one exam session). 14 exams total.

A2: BBC (Maths, Economics, Business respectively).

Went through UCAS adjustment. Scraped my way into an ABB Economics course at Uni of Reading due to well written personal statement.

I suppose going from CDDD to studying Economics at Reading is a decent achievement.

How the hell did you talk your way through? ? ...BBC' grades didn't exceed their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hudl
I got CCCDE in Maths, Chem, GenStudies, FMaths, Physics respectively in my AS...I decided to retake the year for many reasons, dropping FMaths and picking up Biology.

Upon my retake I got ABBBBC in Maths Chem Bio Physics GenStudies FMaths with 99% in the A for maths. My FMaths grade also went up as I didnt want a D on my record so I retook one module and got an A in it pushing my low D to high C.

During my first year I was very relaxed, having achieved only 1A*6As6Bs at GCSE and coming 2nd in my high school with 0% effort. I literally just attended class and didnt even know what past papers were. Coming to AS I wanted to do well but had the same attitude of "my time" never bothering to complete homeworks set as I had no homeworks at high school so wasnt use to it and generally didnt work till like in some cases days to my exam where I pretty much learnt the syllabus. I got DDUU in my mocks before the exams and this was literally like 2 weeks before the real exams. Although I think the hardcore revision I did in those few days enabled me to learn a lot of what we've been taught, a lot of silly mistakes and minor slip ups due to lack of practise killed me in the exam.

Retaking the year I did significantly more work, trying my best to complete homeworks even though not all homeworks where still completed. I however did work this time around but couldnt be bother practising things I thought were basic. For maths I completed the exercises we are normally meant to do in class and the past papers before the exam. The only difference this time was close to the exam I didnt work as hard as I did last year and as a result ended up with the results I got. All my Bs were 78% which was weird but I am currently at A2 aiming for A*AA in Maths, Chem, Bio respectively with an A in FMaths....resitting an extra module.

General studies?? People say you don't need to revise, but then why are there textbooks solely produced for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PCosmopolitious
Got BCU at AS-level. Thought all hopes at uni were over, however I swapped my U for a new subject, which turned out to be my passion. Failing AS-levels was the best thing that happened to me as I found politics. I did the new AS-level in my A2 years and secured AAB. I then had to finish the a2 in my gap year, and secured an A in politics again. That year out got me work experience in California and the chance to intern for Parliament. I'm now off to Warwick.

The important thing about failing, is to get up and assess why you failed. Don't ponder and don't give up!

So you spent 3 years on your A levels -extra year for the a2 and got into Warwick? ????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coconuthead--
How the hell did you talk your way through? ? ...BBC' grades didn't exceed their requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

They wanted BBB in clearing / adjustment... I had a B in every business module apart from one where I got an E and said that I was having it remarked and expected it to go up. Also explained that for an economics course, having a B in maths and a B in econ was far more valuable than perhaps others who may have had B in Geography and B in English etc... Also I imagine my references / personal statement were v strong so I guess I scraped it :smile:
Reply 658
Original post by coconuthead--
General studies?? People say you don't need to revise, but then why are there textbooks solely produced for it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't really revise for general studies, but people do revise for it...by looking at some previous essay questions and seeing what the marks are awarded for is enough revision for general studies. I didnt really do that either last year tbh. We have one lessons a week in general studies but its so unrelated to the exam, discussing about art etc
Original post by Hudl
I didn't really revise for general studies, but people do revise for it...by looking at some previous essay questions and seeing what the marks are awarded for is enough revision for general studies. I didnt really do that either last year tbh. We have one lessons a week in general studies but its so unrelated to the exam, discussing about art etc

Only 42-49 marks for an A grade such low boundaries. Plus the pre lease case study makes it way easier

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest