The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Lau14
I need an A, ideally I'd like to get an A* though :/

I'm sure you're capable of it! I just can't see it happening for me. It's my hardest subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 201
Original post by CD223
I'm sure you're capable of it! I just can't see it happening for me. It's my hardest subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it's the one I'm doing worst in (although also my worst teacher and so the place I've been putting in the least effort so that's not really surprising!)
Reply 202
Original post by Lau14
Yeah it's the one I'm doing worst in (although also my worst teacher and so the place I've been putting in the least effort so that's not really surprising!)

Ah yeah it sounds (understandably) like your teacher isn't helping your motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Original post by CD223
Ah yeah it sounds (understandably) like your teacher isn't helping your motivation!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah having no homework for the subject or him not taking it in if we do or really paying attention to how we're doing means there's no real encouragement to keep working and learning things up until proper revision time!

Did another paper this afternoon, Jan 10 - was actually pretty easy but probably because it's an earlier one, got 61 (19 multiple choice, 42 written) even though there was a big section on transformers including the 6 marker... And I missed transformers and no one told me there was more to it than the equations on the sheet.
Reply 204
Original post by Lau14
Yeah having no homework for the subject or him not taking it in if we do or really paying attention to how we're doing means there's no real encouragement to keep working and learning things up until proper revision time!

Did another paper this afternoon, Jan 10 - was actually pretty easy but probably because it's an earlier one, got 61 (19 multiple choice, 42 written) even though there was a big section on transformers including the 6 marker... And I missed transformers and no one told me there was more to it than the equations on the sheet.

Oh woah that sounds like a big achievement given everything against you at the mo! Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 205
Original post by CD223
Oh woah that sounds like a big achievement given everything against you at the mo! Well done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, to be fair 8 marks of the transformers question was equation based but not stuff we'd really done recently so going back to last years electricity/GCSE basics, it was just the 6 marker and a 2 mark q on what transformers need. Can't seem to break out of 18/19 marks with the multiple choice section - I mean it's a good mark but the more marks the better!
Reply 206
Original post by Lau14
Thanks, to be fair 8 marks of the transformers question was equation based but not stuff we'd really done recently so going back to last years electricity/GCSE basics, it was just the 6 marker and a 2 mark q on what transformers need. Can't seem to break out of 18/19 marks with the multiple choice section - I mean it's a good mark but the more marks the better!

Well considering that it sounds like you did v well! Hoping to start revising seriously soon - been doing so much coursework lately which has taken up all my hols :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
Original post by CD223
Well considering that it sounds like you did v well! Hoping to start revising seriously soon - been doing so much coursework lately which has taken up all my hols :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sucks :/ I'm getting properly into it now, I spent the first few days of the holidays at work and cleaning my room because I didn't have a floor or half the sofa so now I actually have room to work (and I know where the work is!), today I did two maths papers and the physics one and I'm currently working on chemistry revision notes. I was going to do a physics revision day tomorrow with a friend but she's busy, so another day of working for me. Hoping to cover magnetic fields and transformers properly with the help of the revision guide!

Trying to sort out a rough timetable of stuff to do for in term weeks to keep me revising right up to the exams - what usually happens is I start early, work for two weeks or so, then stop until two weeks before the exams!
Reply 208
Original post by Lau14
Ah that sucks :/ I'm getting properly into it now, I spent the first few days of the holidays at work and cleaning my room because I didn't have a floor or half the sofa so now I actually have room to work (and I know where the work is!), today I did two maths papers and the physics one and I'm currently working on chemistry revision notes. I was going to do a physics revision day tomorrow with a friend but she's busy, so another day of working for me. Hoping to cover magnetic fields and transformers properly with the help of the revision guide!

Trying to sort out a rough timetable of stuff to do for in term weeks to keep me revising right up to the exams - what usually happens is I start early, work for two weeks or so, then stop until two weeks before the exams!

That sounds like a plan! Until this coursework is over I can't really do anything like that :/ probably won't be done until the end of March! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 209
Original post by CD223
That sounds like a plan! Until this coursework is over I can't really do anything like that :/ probably won't be done until the end of March!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ouch... So glad I don't have any coursework subjects, I definitely prefer exams!
Reply 210
Original post by Lau14
Ouch... So glad I don't have any coursework subjects, I definitely prefer exams!

Yeah exams are nice because there's just a set way to prepare for them and there's no time sapping from other tasks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 211
Original post by CD223
Yeah exams are nice because there's just a set way to prepare for them and there's no time sapping from other tasks :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, except for the hours of revision :/ One unit 4 paper every other week (jan 10 this week and then just doing them in order) takes me to the week before the exam, alternating with chemistry unit 4 which conveniently also has 8 past papers and is in the same week. Got to work on actual revision notes for PHYA4 as well, but my class notes are pretty... sparse, is the nice way of putting it. Hopefully the revision guide will be as helpful as it was last year!
Reply 212
Original post by Lau14
Well, except for the hours of revision :/ One unit 4 paper every other week (jan 10 this week and then just doing them in order) takes me to the week before the exam, alternating with chemistry unit 4 which conveniently also has 8 past papers and is in the same week. Got to work on actual revision notes for PHYA4 as well, but my class notes are pretty... sparse, is the nice way of putting it. Hopefully the revision guide will be as helpful as it was last year!

Ah yeah the revision is boring but at least you know where you stand with understanding content! Coursework feels like I'm putting so much time into something without knowing if it's good aha.
The revision guide looks good! Have you seen the Collins ones? I have those and the CGP one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Original post by CD223
Ah yeah the revision is boring but at least you know where you stand with understanding content! Coursework feels like I'm putting so much time into something without knowing if it's good aha.
The revision guide looks good! Have you seen the Collins ones? I have those and the CGP one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, I never knew what I was doing even in GCSE coursework half the time. I've got the CGP one, it's got all the information in I think and that's the important bit because I generally write my own revision notes and use those (much more portable! All subjects fit into one folder with plenty of spare room to put past papers etc in).
Reply 214
Original post by Lau14
True, I never knew what I was doing even in GCSE coursework half the time. I've got the CGP one, it's got all the information in I think and that's the important bit because I generally write my own revision notes and use those (much more portable! All subjects fit into one folder with plenty of spare room to put past papers etc in).

Sounds like you're much more organised than I am! Do you use Kerboodle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Original post by CD223
Sounds like you're much more organised than I am! Do you use Kerboodle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unusual for me! No, I mostly stick to my own/college notes, past papers and the occasional bits from the revision guides.
Reply 216
Original post by Lau14
Unusual for me! No, I mostly stick to my own/college notes, past papers and the occasional bits from the revision guides.

Oh right! Thanks, me too, but just wondered if I should venture into the tech-y side of revision! 🙈

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 217
Reply 218

Hello there!
How are you finding this course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Loving radioactivity 💖💖💖💖 fave topic so far! Tomorrow (well in a few hours) shall be thermal shiz 😨😩😩:lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending