The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I want a baby so much, but still live with my mum. It's just me and her in a 3 bedroom house, and I know for a fact that she wouldn't mind if I had a baby (in fact she's told me that) but for some reason it just doesn't feel right if I'm not in my own place. But the fact is I can't afford it right now. My partner of 6yrs has a flat but it's too small to have a baby in, and he doesn't want to move because it's a property owned by the place he works for so he gets it pretty much for free, and it's right by his place of work so he has no travel costs.

Does anyone have any experience of raising a child living with a parent? I earn money so would never be reliant on benefits, and my partner could come and spend several nights per week here when he's not at work.

I don't want to rent a place as I'm saving up to buy so paying rent would completely halt the progress - the problem is that although I'm well on the way to a deposit, it might take another 5 years to save up enough at the rate I'm going. By then I will be almost 30, and I don't want to wait that long to have a baby.

The job I do can be done with a baby so I could carry on saving.

Is it very, very wrong to live with my mum with a baby? I pay my way of course, I'm not just like a perpetual teenager - we get on very well so are more like housemates really. Would it affect the baby in any way to live with a grandparent until the age of probably about 4?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but it just feels like you're supposed to have your own place by the time you have a baby, and I know I'm a few years off yet!

It's not very wrong to live with your mum with a baby, but I can't help thinking it's not really ideal. Plus have you considered your mum in all this? Babies are LOUD and they keep you awake a lot at night and so on - she may not really be keen on the idea of that, after all she's already had her turn at motherhood. Even if you do all the work, the child WILL still pretty much dominate the household.
How are the other early pregnancy worriers getting on?

I should be 6 weeks tomorrow hopefully & touchwood no spotting at all so far & urinary pregnancy tests getting nicely darker - so fingers crossed this one will make it! Think we'll go for an early scan at the end of the week.
Original post by Anonymous
How are the other early pregnancy worriers getting on?

I should be 6 weeks tomorrow hopefully & touchwood no spotting at all so far & urinary pregnancy tests getting nicely darker - so fingers crossed this one will make it! Think we'll go for an early scan at the end of the week.

That's good news!

I have an 8 month old... I don't know how this happened!
Original post by randdom
That's good news!

I have an 8 month old... I don't know how this happened!

Crrazy!

As of sunday I have a 3 month old. I'm so relieved she is starting to enjoy her play mat for 10-20 minutes a day, such a life saver :biggrin:

Love her :love:

Danny's mum is a nasty bully who is doing an amazing job of destroying her relationship with her son. Crazy woman!
(edited 9 years ago)
Gosh, time is just flying by isn't it? :biggrin:

As of tomorrow I'm 22 weeks pregnant! whaaaa... where has the time gone?! :smile:
Original post by Sazzy890
Gosh, time is just flying by isn't it? :biggrin:

As of tomorrow I'm 22 weeks pregnant! whaaaa... where has the time gone?! :smile:

crazy! will fly by until the ast couple of weeks which feel longer than the previous 30 odd!

just ironed and boxed to store, 30 sleepsuits, 60 vests and loads of outfits. all in newborn up to 3 months. crazy how many clothes she has!

torn between saving them for pos. number 2 or passing them on
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
crazy! will fly by until the ast couple of weeks which feel longer than the previous 30 odd!

just ironed and boxed to store, 30 sleepsuits, 60 vests and loads of outfits. all in newborn up to 3 months. crazy how many clothes she has!

torn between saving them for pos. number 2 or passing them on

That's scared me lol... I didn't think I needed to buy quite that many clothes in newborn and 0-3months sizes... did she use them all?
That's scared me lol... I didn't think I needed to buy quite that many clothes in newborn and 0-3months sizes... did she use them all?

Oh golly you don't need as many as that, don't worry

We didn't have quite that many bit you will probably need more than you think depending on if you have a tumble dryer. There would be some days where we would get through 5 outfits due to sick and nappy leaks. It gets better though after 3 months
We had about 12 sleepsuits and 12 vests and this seemed plenty when doing washing without a dryer every 2-3 days.
30 sleepsuits and 60 vests? That seems quite a bit of clothing for a newborn. I didn't own a tumble dryer until my 5th child and I have never bought more than 12/15 sleepsuits/vests. Also I didn't end up using the vests, even though I live up north and have mainly winter babies. I just found it was one layer of clothing too many. All babies are different of course and you'll find out what your little one needs pretty quickly.

Enjoy x
Thanks for the feedback... what amount would you recommend?

She wore everything, a few things only once or twice but as she was so tiny she was in newborn/firstsize/up to one month for ages and then only in 0-3 for about 4 weeks. Personally I wouldn't bother with up to one month, tiny baby -> newborn -> first size -> 0-3 would have been fine.

We didn't buy that much, a lot were presents and a lot were bought the day she was born from both grandma's as she was small and we didn't have enough newborn.

Clothes are so difficult the first few weeks trying to work out what you will need, gets easier !
i would recomend pack of vests in newborn/0-3 and a couple of packs of sleepsuits in each. Depending on baby size gives you enough for first few days then can get more if needs be.

We have only about 10-12 vests and 8/9 sleepsuits now she is in 3-6 but she also wears actual clothes now too. Definitely calms down!
What others have said above re vests. Would also recommend experimenting with different nappy brands if you experience frequent leaks at any point. I found that different brands can fit different babies better. For example, my eldest son and my youngest son were both long skinny babies in comparison to their other brother who was quite chunky (nothing to do with their weight btw, just their individual build). I did more clothes changes with them until I changed brand, they did better in Huggies than in Pampers. My girls were over 10lbs and seemed to be best with Pampers.

Changing nappies doesn't always work, but its worth bearing in mind if you do use disposables. Grab as many free samples as you can get your hands on x
Thanks guys, think we've got enough newborn size then, except we do need to get some sleep suits still. And then we just need to get some more 0-3 months :smile:

Also thanks LilBlueBug re: nappies. Will bear it in mind! I intend to buy all the toiletries and get my hospital bag sorted next month so I might buy 2 different brands of nappies just in case :tongue:
Thanks guys, think we've got enough newborn size then, except we do need to get some sleep suits still. And then we just need to get some more 0-3 months :smile:

Also thanks LilBlueBug re: nappies. Will bear it in mind! I intend to buy all the toiletries and get my hospital bag sorted next month so I might buy 2 different brands of nappies just in case :tongue:

Worth considering that Isaac didn't really fit in any of his newborn stuff!
Original post by randdom
Worth considering that Isaac didn't really fit in any of his newborn stuff!

It's something we won't know though until he is born though so we can't really assume he won't. I'm remaining hopeful of him being a small baby too lol... nervous he will have my fiance's head :tongue: Both me and my brother were tiny babies (although Chris and his brother were on the larger side on the normal scale), so depends who this one will take after, me thinks... :tongue:
It's something we won't know though until he is born though so we can't really assume he won't. I'm remaining hopeful of him being a small baby too lol... nervous he will have my fiance's head :tongue: Both me and my brother were tiny babies (although Chris and his brother were on the larger side on the normal scale), so depends who this one will take after, me thinks... :tongue:

Absolutely. What I meant was don't go overboard with the little stuff as you can always get more if you need it and it is gutting when you have an outfit that you get which you love which only fits for a couple of weeks!

Quick Reply

Latest