The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chasingtruths
PFO from HSF with a lengthy email about what they are looking for. "There are many more high calibre applicants than we can accommodate and you should not be unduly discouraged." Kinda hard not to be discouraged with all PFOs so far.

So sorry to hear about this. May I know when you applied?
Reply 3341
Has anyone heard from Ropes & Gray?
Reply 3342
Original post by Rozzer123
Congrats! is this vac scheme or TC? I still haven't anything since my online application.....uh-oh!

Its a vac scheme offer for easter - they dont have TC assessment days till June/ July.

I think if they fill up - they will offer you a place on their training contract assessment day :smile:

Good luck
Original post by DonnieCA
Hi would I be able to PM you about this aswell please?

Thanks

Sure :smile:
Original post by maco
I did my interview last Thursday for the Birmingham office and I haven't heard anything back yet.

Am I right in thinkings if successful your on the scheme without having to attend a interview?

I think you're right, successful people are offered a vacation scheme off the back of the Skype interview.
Reply 3345
Original post by pp93
Had mine today, you can't really prepare for it.. Just make sure you can back up/expand upon everything on your application form. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you mind sharing whether the written test was commercial awareness based ?
Original post by Chianti1
Well done :smile:

Original post by Procrastination1
Congrats!

Original post by TrainingChopeful
Congrats - you are on a roll :tongue:

Thanks guys :smile:, most definitely had my fair share of rejections too!

Original post by t.o
Still haven't heard a single thing from Macfarlanes...

I applied to Macfarlanes in early November, I've still not heard anything..
Reply 3347
Original post by Bindi
Would you mind sharing whether the written test was commercial awareness based ?

There was no written test so not entirely sure what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3348
Original post by pp93
There was no written test so not entirely sure what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strange I was told that there was a written test .....what was the format for your 2 hours then ?
Original post by Bindi
Strange I was told that there was a written test .....what was the format for your 2 hours then ?

I've been as well and there was definitely no written test and my invite didn't say there would be one. It said 'commercial awareness task' if that's what you might have read? There's a commercial interview which is pretty relaxed and a competency one with a couple of partners, the firm were lovely as well so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:
Reply 3350
Original post by footchemllab
I've been as well and there was definitely no written test and my invite didn't say there would be one. It said 'commercial awareness task' if that's what you might have read? There's a commercial interview which is pretty relaxed and a competency one with a couple of partners, the firm were lovely as well so I wouldn't worry too much :smile:

Thank you for this . I am feeling rather nervous . Have you heard back from them ?
Reply 3351
Does anyone know if Shearman & Sterling have filled their summer vac scheme places? Have accepted a place on their first summer scheme but in hindsight would much prefer to be on the second. Alternatively, anyone got any thoughts or advice?
Original post by TC39
Does anyone know if Shearman & Sterling have filled their summer vac scheme places? Have accepted a place on their first summer scheme but in hindsight would much prefer to be on the second. Alternatively, anyone got any thoughts or advice?

I don't think there's any harm in asking them if there is any space to move over to the second one, firms are usually happy to do so if they have space. Even if they don't, they're not going to kick you off the first one for asking to switch! I've never heard of that happening before.
Reply 3353
Original post by baldwisl02
Any DLA Londoners still waiting to hear back post AC? The suspense is killing me :frown:

Still waiting.
Reply 3354
Original post by mcrlawstudent
I don't think there's any harm in asking them if there is any space to move over to the second one, firms are usually happy to do so if they have space. Even if they don't, they're not going to kick you off the first one for asking to switch! I've never heard of that happening before.

Okay, cheers for the advice!
Reply 3355
Original post by Bindi

My email said a competency interview and a commercial awareness 'discussion'. I have read online that they used to do other exercises but now it just seems like they do only interviews.

The discussion is 15 mins reading time and 45 minutes of chat. The interview is an hour long and they have set questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3356
Has anyone else had firms specifically ask for names of other places they applied? So far they've only asked me what type of criteria I used etc and then today I was asked for specific names which really caught me off guard for some reason… was debating in my head which one of the many PFOs to tell her i applied to
Original post by np2807
Has anyone else had firms specifically ask for names of other places they applied? So far they've only asked me what type of criteria I used etc and then today I was asked for specific names which really caught me off guard for some reason… was debating in my head which one of the many PFOs to tell her i applied to

Hey, I've only had 3 face to face interviews (Macfarlanes, Clyde & Co and Travers Smith) and Clyde and Travers both directly asked me for names of other firms I had applied to - they want to test how consistent you are so do prepare for that for every face to face interview just in case, and bear in mind they're not asking to be conversational, show that consistency :smile:
Reply 3358
Original post by TykeDragon
Hey, I've only had 3 face to face interviews (Macfarlanes, Clyde & Co and Travers Smith) and Clyde and Travers both directly asked me for names of other firms I had applied to - they want to test how consistent you are so do prepare for that for every face to face interview just in case, and bear in mind they're not asking to be conversational, show that consistency :smile:

I don't know why it surprised me so much, I've managed to avoid names so far so I think when she pressed for exactly where it surprised me a bit but I tried to mention similar firms to show I was consistent! Thank you though :smile:
Anyone heard from Holman Fenwick Willan yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending