The Student Room Group

Feeling faint on exertion

Hello, bit of a long story but wondered if anyone's experienced anything similar.

Summer before last I was referred to a cardiologist and diagnosed with Raynaud's disease (nothing serious, lips turn blue occasionally). I mentioned I'd been having trouble exercising for the past year. Would get tunnel vision, nausea, cold sweats and feel like I was going to pass out after only 10/15 minutes of running or cycling.

Doctor found a heart murmur which normally indicates a hole in the heart but my echo was clear. Investigated exercise induced asthma, that was ruled out. So they gave up, told me there's nothing to worry about and that there was no need for an exercise stress test.

I still can't exercise properly and it's really irritating me because I need a stress reliever. Last week I blew my car tyres up with a foot pump and almost blacked out after only 5 minutes. Even walking up a steep hill can leave me dizzy. Surely if I was just unfit that wouldn't happen?

I'm 5ft7 and 130lbs, so not exactly carrying too much weight. Used to be in a lot of school sports teams before this too so wasn't unfit.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great! I'm thinking of using an exercise dvd daily if I can to see if it improves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sph93
Hello, bit of a long story but wondered if anyone's experienced anything similar.

Summer before last I was referred to a cardiologist and diagnosed with Raynaud's disease (nothing serious, lips turn blue occasionally). I mentioned I'd been having trouble exercising for the past year. Would get tunnel vision, nausea, cold sweats and feel like I was going to pass out after only 10/15 minutes of running or cycling.

Doctor found a heart murmur which normally indicates a hole in the heart but my echo was clear. Investigated exercise induced asthma, that was ruled out. So they gave up, told me there's nothing to worry about and that there was no need for an exercise stress test.

I still can't exercise properly and it's really irritating me because I need a stress reliever. Last week I blew my car tyres up with a foot pump and almost blacked out after only 5 minutes. Even walking up a steep hill can leave me dizzy. Surely if I was just unfit that wouldn't happen?

I'm 5ft7 and 130lbs, so not exactly carrying too much weight. Used to be in a lot of school sports teams before this too so wasn't unfit.

If anyone has any suggestions that'd be great! I'm thinking of using an exercise dvd daily if I can to see if it improves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Experiencing something similar myself but as a result of so many bad attacks I've developed panic disorder and severe anxiety and have become housebound. The doctor says I shod try and get out etc when I didn't he asked I there's anything he can do that will show me it's safe to go out. And check vitals and referrer me to the cardiologist so going to see how that goes. So you don't have a hole in the heart? What caused the heart murmur then it's really frustrating that they just say don't worry just get on with things when you keep having this.

Maybe it's something neurological? I take it you've had all the basic blood tests etc?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Experiencing something similar myself but as a result of so many bad attacks I've developed panic disorder and severe anxiety and have become housebound. The doctor says I shod try and get out etc when I didn't he asked I there's anything he can do that will show me it's safe to go out. And check vitals and referrer me to the cardiologist so going to see how that goes. So you don't have a hole in the heart? What caused the heart murmur then it's really frustrating that they just say don't worry just get on with things when you keep having this.

Maybe it's something neurological? I take it you've had all the basic blood tests etc?

I'm glad you're getting referred. Hopefully should give you some peace of mind :smile:.

Nope no hole in the heart, echo came back showing my heart was structurally good which I was pleased about. But now I'm thinking it would have been easier if they found something so it could be fixed!

I had blood tests to rule out diabetes/thyroid issues and they came back fine. Not sure if I should exercise until I actually pass out to make them take me seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have something that sounds similar. For me it is about overheating/sweating. I have suspected it may be a breathing problem of some kind. Most strikingly though, are the migraines I get after exertion, with significantly more neurological symptoms than I usually have with my migraines.
Original post by sph93
I'm glad you're getting referred. Hopefully should give you some peace of mind :smile:.

Nope no hole in the heart, echo came back showing my heart was structurally good which I was pleased about. But now I'm thinking it would have been easier if they found something so it could be fixed!

I had blood tests to rule out diabetes/thyroid issues and they came back fine. Not sure if I should exercise until I actually pass out to make them take me seriously!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds mad but it's a dilemma a lot of stuff is like that in the NHS it's a bit of firefighting isn't it. But probably best not to exercise until you faint!! Don't want to potentially cause any (more) damage :smile:
Reply 5
I have something that sounds similar. For me it is about overheating/sweating. I have suspected it may be a breathing problem of some kind. Most strikingly though, are the migraines I get after exertion, with significantly more neurological symptoms than I usually have with my migraines.

Yeah the migraines sound a bit odd! Thankfully I don't get them, I just feel really weak and spaced out after each episode. Have you tried drinking something like powerade before/during exercise? I got told to try that because of the electrolytes, did nothing for me but might be worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sph93
Yeah the migraines sound a bit odd! Thankfully I don't get them, I just feel really weak and spaced out after each episode. Have you tried drinking something like powerade before/during exercise? I got told to try that because of the electrolytes, did nothing for me but might be worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I did. It seems to be working to some extend, but the issues are not linearly related to the degree of exertion. Sometimes I can sweat excessively while just walking and still get ill.

Have you let someone have a look at your breathing?

Just like you, I would like to be able to just exercise. I would love to play my sport again. :/
Reply 7
Yeah I did. It seems to be working to some extend, but the issues are not linearly related to the degree of exertion. Sometimes I can sweat excessively while just walking and still get ill.

Have you let someone have a look at your breathing?

Just like you, I would like to be able to just exercise. I would love to play my sport again. :/

I had asthma as a kid so they put me back on inhalers for a few months and asked me to see if they made any difference. Didn't at all, so they ruled out exercise induced asthma.

Would be odd if it was my breathing pattern because blowing up my car tyres I wasn't out of breath, yet the symptoms came on.

Did your illness come on suddenly? I used to be so active, it's so frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sph93
I had asthma as a kid so they put me back on inhalers for a few months and asked me to see if they made any difference. Didn't at all, so they ruled out exercise induced asthma.

Would be odd if it was my breathing pattern because blowing up my car tyres I wasn't out of breath, yet the symptoms came on.

Did your illness come on suddenly? I used to be so active, it's so frustrating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you have to be out of breath. The problem might just be that you lack these internal signals that make you feel out of breath when you should. No one has ever been able to verify that for me, but it sounds plausible.

No, it slowly developed over time. I used to be on several teams, but eventually I was not even to participate in PE. I agree that it's so frustrating! Right now at uni, I always walk past the sports field and it reminds me of what I can't do.

What about you? How long have you been struggling with this?
Reply 9
I don't think you have to be out of breath. The problem might just be that you lack these internal signals that make you feel out of breath when you should. No one has ever been able to verify that for me, but it sounds plausible.

No, it slowly developed over time. I used to be on several teams, but eventually I was not even to participate in PE. I agree that it's so frustrating! Right now at uni, I always walk past the sports field and it reminds me of what I can't do.

What about you? How long have you been struggling with this?

I'll bring it up when I get around to going to the doctors then, thanks.

Mine started about 2 1/2 years ago. Always been part of sports teams so when I started uni I went to football practice and just couldn't do it anymore. Tried to use the treadmill at home, exactly the same symptoms. Got a road bike, can't even go around the block without nearly passing out! But, if I go on the elliptical I'm usually okay which is weird. So mine was literally like something had switched in me.

Going to start using a 30 day exercise DVD and see how that goes I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest