The Student Room Group

[GIRLS] How would you react if a guy called you 'girl'

Last year I was volunteering in a charity shop for my CAS project and one of the people working there said: "Girl, do you need any help?" and at first I was like did he really just call me girl... and gave him a weird look and said "No".

My brother also seems to find it acceptable to call me 'Girl' as well like excuse me I have a name.. and I usually ignore him because I find it so rude. He also tends to make sexist remarks like "You should act more lady-like because a man wouldn't want someone who acted like you" which pisses me off even more.

So how would you react if someone called you that and they knew your name?

Guys: Why do you call some girls 'girl'? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

I remember a guy called me baby girl once, made me lol.

If it was my friend I wouldn't mind, it is better than what I get called my peeps I know eg pooface, farthbreath and fatty boom boom
Original post by Kangie
Last year I was volunteering in a charity shop for my CAS project and one of the people working there said: "Girl, do you need any help?" and at first I was like did he really just call me girl... and gave him a weird look and said "No".

My brother also seems to find it acceptable to call me 'Girl' as well like excuse me I have a name.. and I usually ignore him because I find it so rude. He also tends to make sexist remarks like "You should act more lady-like because a man wouldn't want someone who acted like you" which pisses me off even more.

Weird... i would feel offended as well..
Original post by Kangie

I wouldn't say anything to them if it was just once but if it continued I'd just said I'm very aware of my gender and I do have a name so could you please say it or is that too much to ask? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If this was a person that knew my name, I suppose I'd be annoyed too. Is it a common thing to refer to people as "girl"?

Random one off person from the street however, wouldn't really care.
Reply 5
So cliche but... It depends on HOW he says it. But I prefer my name in the situations you described. I like 'girl' only if it's in a flirty manner and if, of course, the guy is smooth :colondollar:
Reply 6
I'm a girl and I call my girlfriends "gurl" all the time.
Reply 7
Original post by hilrho
I'm a girl and I call my girlfriends "gurl" all the time.

I wouldn't mind it if a girl said it and she was my friend but not a guy..
Reply 8
Original post by Kangie
I wouldn't mind it if a girl said it and she was my friend but not a guy..

Ah I see, why is that if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 9
Original post by hilrho
Ah I see, why is that if you don't mind my asking?

idk it's just really annoying when someone knows your name but feels the need to call you 'girl' - quite unnecessary using that term :/
Original post by Kangie

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do women like being called?
Reply 11
Original post by Kangie
idk it's just really annoying when someone knows your name but feels the need to call you 'girl' - quite unnecessary using that term :/

I guess I would get get quite pissy with them if they did it in a condescending tone or in a chauvinistic way. But sometimes my guy friends would just joke around and say something like "gurl, you cray cray" and its probably because I was being quite foolish so it's all good when it's like that for me.
I get called 'boy', I don't really care. :dontknow:
you're brother is right

truth hurts
Reply 14
yeah.. thank god he can tell the difference between you're and your though.. :mwuaha:
I thought this thread was gonna be far sassier than it is:rolleyes:

But no, I don't think I would mind very much.
Original post by Kangie
yeah.. thank god he can tell the difference between you're and your though.. :mwuaha:

What about if it was during a conversation and they were like "Girl, you need to relax." Note the comma. Still offend you?
Reply 17
Original post by TorpidPhil
What about if it was during a conversation and they were like "Girl, you need to relax." Note the comma. Still offend you?

Depends who said it and why I was annoyed. If I was close to the guy and he was trying to calm me down as a friend then I wouldn't mind but if it was the person who annoyed me in the first place, I'd probably feel even more annoyed.
Reply 18
Seems rude but I can't see how it's worse then 'you' or just 'hay'
A guy who liked me called me this a while ago, I flipped. What did you call me?!

He thought it'd be sexy. . .

It was not sexy.

Quick Reply

Latest