The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SmashConcept
This bold part is what I'm arguing, because I never really saw him play well. I honestly can't remember if I watched the Bama game, but what I saw in the games I watched was consistent: sloppy footwork, horrible pocket management (those on the hype train called it "genius improvisation"), mediocre accuracy on intermediate throws, used his whole body to get just enough velocity on throws that needed it (unlike Bridgewater who supposedly has a weak arm but the ball hops out of his hand with a very compact motion in a way that it doesn't for either Manziel or Bortles). Plus side was great touch on deep sideline balls that is rare for rookies and even some NFL starters to make.

I thought he was a mid round QB, and when it became apparent that Hoyer wouldn't take the Browns to the playoffs I argued that he needed a chance. He's had one, he should be done. He is nowhere near as good as Glennon or Geno Smith, for example. If the team with Glennon is a QB needy team then the Browns need to move heaven and earth to get one. IDK how.

I concede that everything you said about Manziel in college is true. Maybe I used the wrong term, but Manziel did just enough to make me think that he was "pretty good in college" (not spectacular, and not better than Bridgewater) until the total non-recognition of Evans (who really made him look good).

I don't like Manziel as a QB, and I don't like him for his antics. Alas, the Browns have made their bed. I thought the Weeden turnaround was quick, considering that he would have been a good depth addition...but, this would be even quicker.
I honestly just thought the Weeden pick was horrible in every sense. Turning around fast was the only right thing they did. Manziel looks like the same.
Reply 542
The Jags commenters on jaguars.com are really not feeling Randy Gregory at the minute. I don't know why because I haven't watched him but the consensus seems to be that if Williams isn't available at 3, Gregory is not the next best guy and the next best pass rusher is a real step down. I hate speculation at this point, the draft is so so far away so this opinion will probably change at least four times.
Original post by Wattsy
The Jags commenters on jaguars.com are really not feeling Randy Gregory at the minute. I don't know why because I haven't watched him but the consensus seems to be that if Williams isn't available at 3, Gregory is not the next best guy and the next best pass rusher is a real step down. I hate speculation at this point, the draft is so so far away so this opinion will probably change at least four times.

Dante Fowler Jr, and Shane Ray are not really a step down either.

I think Randy Gregory would be a poor fit for the Jags defense, right now, but he'd be scooped up by the raiders or the Redskins very quickly. I personally would prefer Dante Fowler Jr. as he's more athletic and scheme-flexible, compared to the others who are better fits in a 3-4. Leonard Williams is going to be meast, so Tampa, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland and Washington should nab him if he is available.
Reply 544
Original post by jammy4041
Dante Fowler Jr, and Shane Ray are not really a step down either.

I think Randy Gregory would be a poor fit for the Jags defense, right now, but he'd be scooped up by the raiders or the Redskins very quickly. I personally would prefer Dante Fowler Jr. as he's more athletic and scheme-flexible, compared to the others who are better fits in a 3-4. Leonard Williams is going to be meast, so Tampa, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Oakland and Washington should nab him if he is available.

Their set of combine results will be interesting and probably shuffle the pack again. If I'm looking at pass rushers I want to know how their 10 yard splits are. Apart from that and bench I have no real idea how to evaluate them at the combine, Pass rush is about explosion, moves and leverage, I think the only way to evaluate them is on tape and that will take a more knowledgeable man than me to do.
I'm kind of bored, and today at work I was thinking about doing an AMA thread where you ask questions and I give in depth answers with the All-22 from Gamepass. This would encourage me to actually use the product I payed a bunch of money for, and it might be fun. Would anyone actually be interested in such a thread?
I'm kind of bored, and today at work I was thinking about doing an AMA thread where you ask questions and I give in depth answers with the All-22 from Gamepass. This would encourage me to actually use the product I payed a bunch of money for, and it might be fun. Would anyone actually be interested in such a thread?

Could work. I've been procrastinating with mock drafts, and weird situations...hurry up, Combine.
I have a bad feeling Big Vince could be cut.
I'm not a fan of running of the score but I seriously hope when we meet the Colts next season we go in there to utterly obliterate them. I'm talking trying to put up triple digits on them.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2371587-insider-buzz-browns-will-take-a-real-run-at-trading-for-rams-qb-sam-bradford?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=web-mob-art-vid-150?is_shar

I feel like the Browns and I are on the same page re their QB situation. Not that it's ever good to be on the same page as the Browns regarding anything, but hey.
Original post by Malevolent
I'm not a fan of running of the score but I seriously hope when we meet the Colts next season we go in there to utterly obliterate them. I'm talking trying to put up triple digits on them.

Football's a 60 minute game. If a team doesn't want to be blown out they should play better. :lol::lol::lol:

Spoiler

Nobody should have issues with running up the score. MAYBE in like pee wee but even then the kids aren't going to be fooled. The worst is when British teams have a problem with it when actually there are many, many good reasons for a British team to run up the score and really no reasons not to.
Nobody should have issues with running up the score. MAYBE in like pee wee but even then the kids aren't going to be fooled. The worst is when British teams have a problem with it when actually there are many, many good reasons for a British team to run up the score and really no reasons not to.

Jameis threw very nicely at the combine. Mariota had an excellent combine, but if you want a pocket passer, you have to go with Jameis. Natural touch on his throws.

How do you seperate Kevin White, Amari Cooper and Devante Parker now? Cooper is the best WR in this draft and has much more polis, but Kevin White is 6'3 and runs a 4.35 40.
Reply 553
Anyone watching anything of the Combine? It is probably the worst piece of NFL related television in existence. I watched most of it last year and Jesus Christ it is ****. Especially when it's OT drills or something. The pass catching and throwing is probably the only thing which is actually entertaining. 3 cone drills, despite their analytic usefulness, are not fun to watch.
Never watched it on TV myself. I imagine the throwing will be on the website.
Original post by Wattsy
Anyone watching anything of the Combine? It is probably the worst piece of NFL related television in existence. I watched most of it last year and Jesus Christ it is ****. Especially when it's OT drills or something. The pass catching and throwing is probably the only thing which is actually entertaining. 3 cone drills, despite their analytic usefulness, are not fun to watch.

The combine isn't supposed to be entertaining, but unfortunately, the NFL have hyped it up to such an extent, that fans expect it to be entertainment.

Personally, I enjoy the combine, and I have been following it fairly closely this year, but maybe that's because it's already been two-and-a-half weeks since the Superbowl, and have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I especially like the running back drills and the Guantlet, but the DB drills are my favorite to watch. I'll try and follow it on monday, if I can, between classes.

The throwing drills are pretty entertaining, too. I like the three-cone drill more than the 40 yard dash, which are 'meh' unless it's the DBs or the WRs doing it. Tommorow with the linebackers and the DEs, will be an interesting day. I believe the bench press for the defense is this evening.

Today, I was blown away. I knew Jameis throws well anyway...but Jameis he made some pretty throws, and showed off his arm. Very impressed. Yes, he's not the athlete Mariota is, but he threw even better than Mariota. Jameis just increased his-already-high chances of going to Tampa with that combine, and I don't think it's hyperbole either.

The other aspect of the combine that gets lost somewhat is the press conferences, and the weigh-ins. Jameis improved his stock by having a response for everything. I'm happy for Vic Beasley. I thought he'd come it at around 235lbs, but for him to come just south of 250lbs is big. I had him falling due to weight concerns, but that's a good size for a 3-4 OLB. He's one to watch tomorrow.

Randy Gregory better prove that he belongs as a linebacker, because he had a shocker. He was listed at 240lbs for Nebraska, but he started combine training at 218lbs. TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN POUNDS. Jesus. You have Landon Collins at 225lbs, and he's a safety! Gregory, as an OUTSIDE LINEBACKER, has no such excuse. He got up to around 243lbs, but has been sick, so is back down to 235lbs.

It's a huge issue, because he can't keep the weight on. He was expected to be around 247-253lbs at least. He has so much upside as a pass rusher, considering his length, but wow....I'd fear he'd struggle at 235lbs in a 3-4 scheme, because it's so marginal. As a 4-3 OLB, it's even more tricky, because generally 4-3 LBs are expected to cover much more than 3-4 OLBs.

I still want to see Bud Dupree tear up the combine tomorrow. He's a great fit to be an every-down 4-3DE or even 3-4 OLB at 269lbs. He's fast and athletic, and primed for a breakout combine.

(I just hope I haven't given the commentator's curse on that one though :frown: )

Shaq Thompson is another interesting case. He's 228lbs. But where do you put him? He's shown signs that he could be a 4-3 OLB, since he's not neccessarily just a pass rusher, and has fulfilled so many roles in college, that he could be viable at safety or at running back, or even as a linebacker. He should contribute on special teams and in the nickel package. (false nickel package?). I almost tempted to try him out at RB or at safety though. It has been suggested that his best game in the PAC12 was when he was safety, but he averaged the highest YPC of all RBs in the PAC12. I'd give some serious consideration to trying him at a few positions.
Original post by jammy4041
Jameis threw very nicely at the combine. Mariota had an excellent combine, but if you want a pocket passer, you have to go with Jameis. Natural touch on his throws.

How do you seperate Kevin White, Amari Cooper and Devante Parker now? Cooper is the best WR in this draft and has much more polis, but Kevin White is 6'3 and runs a 4.35 40.

Devante Parker is probably ever so slightly lower down than the other two atm. He didn't handle the media that great. Obviously not the most important thing ever but teams take everything into account. And I don't think he's quite as good as White or Cooper anyway
Anywhere I can watch a summary of the combine do far? Especially QB.
Bears and Steelers :king1:

Big Ben: ma boy!

I've not actually followed AF in ages though so inb4 Ben is now playing O line.
Original post by Motorbiker
Anywhere I can watch a summary of the combine do far? Especially QB.

Most of the highlights of the top prospects are on the nfl website I think.

Quick Reply

Latest