The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVI

Scroll to see replies

i give up.
Anyone have any tips for dealing with anxiety?

I'm partway through my PGCE and anxiety seems to be taking over. Its constant nausea and dizziness. Not a nice way to feel when you are in a small hot classroom with 34 loud students reliant on you. I only just made it through my first placement, but I was constantly playing catch up and feeling like I wasn't doing enough. I'm about to start my second placement and I am terrified. I should be excited, going into school working with kids, I mean this is what I have chosen to do with the rest of my life. But all I can think about is how sick I'm going to feel and how hard I'm going to find it because of that. Don't get me wrong, I want to teach, I just need to find a way to cope with it. I'm already on propranalol which does help, but not enough. I've been trying 'rescue pastilles' which I don't know if they help or not. But any advice anyone has would be greatly received.

Thank you in advance

Happy Friday <3
Original post by purple-duck

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by SweetNothing
Is it normal for fluoxetine to make me tired during the day? I took it before I went to bed last night and i'm still tired now, I've only been taking it since tuesday.

Might be a side effect, I definitely find I was tired a lot when I took it. :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1563
Original post by SweetNothing
Is it normal for fluoxetine to make me tired during the day? I took it before I went to bed last night and i'm still tired now, I've only been taking it since tuesday.

I think prozac is one of the more stimulating antidepressants. Perhaps it is a possible side effect but I suppose it is also possible that it is a symptom and not related to the drug.
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone have any tips for dealing with anxiety?

I'm partway through my PGCE and anxiety seems to be taking over. Its constant nausea and dizziness. Not a nice way to feel when you are in a small hot classroom with 34 loud students reliant on you. I only just made it through my first placement, but I was constantly playing catch up and feeling like I wasn't doing enough. I'm about to start my second placement and I am terrified. I should be excited, going into school working with kids, I mean this is what I have chosen to do with the rest of my life. But all I can think about is how sick I'm going to feel and how hard I'm going to find it because of that. Don't get me wrong, I want to teach, I just need to find a way to cope with it. I'm already on propranalol which does help, but not enough. I've been trying 'rescue pastilles' which I don't know if they help or not. But any advice anyone has would be greatly received.

Thank you in advance

Happy Friday <3

Are you doing therapy in addition? Maybe CBT? I think that would help, because even when you don't really know, where the anxiety comes from, it is relaxing to have some methods to apply, when getting in those situations? It might be worth trying it, so you feel more comfortable in your role.

Concerning the non-medicaments, non-theraphy stuff you can do: Practise is still the best, but to set yourself small goals and just concentrate on achieve them and not try to have the pressure of "not being anxious the whole day" behind your back. And I hope you have still time to do something you enjoy and can get self-confidence out of it and are not entirely caught by your PGCE.

Any more specific questions? What have you already tried out?
Original post by Maid Marian
I'm feeling really anxious and scared about something ... I want to confide to the person but I'm certain they won't be sympathetic or reassuring, so I feel quite lost and upset. :frown: What can I do ... I don't know what to do other than keep it to myself and deal with it :erm: :frown:

From experience it is totally worth it to tell people, but you can PN me, because it is allways difficult giving advice without knowing.
lots of people now think I am autistic due to my relationships obsession and the jarring un-natural way I write, do you think this is a possibility? I think it's just that my anxiety is still present at baseline.
Original post by Odd socks

Spoiler

------

The person who liases with student support within my department is gonna try and get me transferred into the lab that I want to do (which is actually really interesting, and I'll be with friends). So relieved. He said if not, they'll put some support in place if I am unable to attend class for whatever reason. So glad I went and spoke to him even though I was majorly freaking out before hand. Need to calm down I think. :colondollar:
Does anyone else get quite scary real dreams? It freaks me out sometimes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they're horrible! :sadnod: Are you ok? :console:
too hard :emo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have very real and lovely dreams. The waking up is the nightmare.
Original post by Pathway
Yeah, they're horrible! :sadnod: Are you ok? :console:

Last nights was particularly bad/ triggering of past

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScaryScience
too hard :emo:

YOU CAN! Big hugs!
Had two good days, where I improved compared to reactions of me to similar events before.
Guys just be honest, am I a man-child? My illness has obviously made me a very prickly individual who is difficult to get on with.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
Guys just be honest, am I a man-child? My illness has obviously made me a very prickly individual who is difficult to get on with.

Not gonna lie i dont even think i know what a man child is :dontknow:

But we cant say because we dont actually know what your like in person...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not gonna lie i dont even think i know what a man child is :dontknow:

But we cant say because we dont actually know what your like in person...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A man-child is a fully grown adult male who acts like a child.

well, going off what I am like on here, the threads I have made, the stories I report, etc.

I'm engaged in a debate with a user who confirms the belief that I am one you see, and she is a reasonable person so it's not like I'm being trolled

I remember this thread from the Riku account

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2628931&page=6
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. It's a medication side effect. Finally worn off, though.

Latest