The Student Room Group

respected and A* possible achievable A-levels ???

which of the a levels, do you think are respected as well as it is possible to get A* easily?

by "easily" i do not mean easy , but i heard that some subjects even if you work very hard for it, results may be lower than expectations ..

Scroll to see replies

The only subjects that ain't easy to achieve A* are subjects which involves equations/numbers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Critical thinking
General studies
Leisure studies
Reply 3
Original post by AsandaLFC
The only subjects that ain't easy to achieve A* are subjects which involves equations/numbers

I would say the reverse. In Maths and Physics, not only do a relatively high percentage of entrants achieve an A*, but your ability is not open to interpretation. In Arts subjects the marking is far more subjective and even a top candidate may not get an A*.
Reply 4
Original post by AsandaLFC

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought that those subjects are straightforward enough to get A* easily .. what about English lit ?
Reply 5
Original post by naxiv
Critical thinking
General studies
Leisure studies

Though those subjects are not considered respected ..
Original post by Compost
I would say the reverse. In Maths and Physics, not only do a relatively high percentage of entrants achieve an A*, but your ability is not open to interpretation. In Arts subjects the marking is far more subjective and even a top candidate may not get an A*.

Completely agree.

I think the hardest ones (according to percentage achieved) are actually languages. But humanities/arts are just so much harder to get near to 100% in.
You can get an A/A* in any of them with enough hard work.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost

I want to study Philosophy and Theology, so i have to choose Art subjects, Which one of those considered easier with less subjective marking from these subjects:
History, English, English Lit, Classical Civilizations, modern languages..

I have to choose 2 of them at least and i want to get A*, the third may be a science subject, either Biology or Maths ..
Reply 9
Original post by lulu199
I want to study Philosophy and Theology, so i have to choose Art subjects, Which one of those considered easier with less subjective marking from these subjects:
History, English, English Lit, Classical Civilizations, modern languages..

I have to choose 2 of them at least and i want to get A*, the third may be a science subject, either Biology or Maths ..

Anecdotally, I would say History is difficult to get an A* in. I know 3 or 4 people (across 3 different schools) who have managed 3 or 4 A*s at A level plus an A in History.

I would also say the marking in English Lit is quite erratic -I can think of a couple of people with full UMS at AS English Lit and who have been offered places at Oxford based on the ELAT who then failed to get A*s in English Lit, but other years when several people with mediocre Bs at AS and got A*s overall.

The oral marking in modern languages is notoriously erratic, but overall the grades are less so, though A*s are hard to come by.

English Language and Class Civ seem less prone to variation (though I know fewer people taking them so I may just not have seen much of anything) but are also less respected as A levels.

Maths is the closest it comes to an A* you can bank on.
Original post by Compost

English Language and Class Civ seem less prone to variation (though I know fewer people taking them so I may just not have seen much of anything) but are also less respected as A levels.

Classical Civilization is less respected? Does this include Ancient History? If so, that really surprises me as I find it harder than literature and my friend - who takes both history and ancient - finds the latter much more difficult.
About classic civ being less respected, this is something which I commonly see on tsr but I don't understand it. My teacher who teaches it, along with history, graduated from Oxford with a first and continually speak about how much Oxbridge tutots value it. It is in the top list of Cambridge, alongside English Lit and History, and an admin tutor for Cambridge directly told me that it was a highly valued A level, equal to English Lit and History. This is all anecdotal, but surely all these people were not lying to me?
Reply 12
Original post by Compost
Anecdotally, I would say History is difficult to get an A* in. I know 3 or 4 people (across 3 different schools) who have managed 3 or 4 A*s at A level plus an A in History.

I would also say the marking in English Lit is quite erratic -I can think of a couple of people with full UMS at AS English Lit and who have been offered places at Oxford based on the ELAT who then failed to get A*s in English Lit, but other years when several people with mediocre Bs at AS and got A*s overall.

The oral marking in modern languages is notoriously erratic, but overall the grades are less so, though A*s are hard to come by.

Maths is the closest it comes to an A* you can bank on.

thank you for the helpful informations .. I'll go for Maths, but i'll think more about the other 2 a levels .. i am really confused, may be i i'll try to get A
Original post by ancienthistory
Classical Civilization is less respected? Does this include Ancient History?

They're not on the Russell group's list of enabling subjects http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/ but then neither is Economics. They're not offered that widely and so there are few if any degrees that speciifically require them but I think they are perfectly acceptable choices.
Reply 14
Original post by simbasdragon
About classic civ being less respected, this is something which I commonly see on tsr but I don't understand it. My teacher who teaches it, along with history, graduated from Oxford with a first and continually speak about how much Oxbridge tutots value it. It is in the top list of Cambridge, alongside English Lit and History, and an admin tutor for Cambridge directly told me that it was a highly valued A level, equal to English Lit and History. This is all anecdotal, but surely all these people were not lying to me?

Do you have any idea about which of those 3 subject is the easiest and the hardest to get A* or according to marking?
I managed to get an A* in A level history which is rare. Its difficult because the questions are so open to interpretation.

ITs completely unlike science or number subjects, whereby if you study enough and LEARN EVERYTHING, you can guarentee that you will succeed. I did bio and chem and they were harder to get higher grades in, but for physics and maths i know a few people who got A*'s, whereas for these its a lot rarer.

Respected subjects include, sciences (psych and geology are debatable), maths, history, geography, english lit, french (any language really)
Reply 16
Original post by King Boo
I managed to get an A* in A level history which is rare. Its difficult because the questions are so open to interpretation.

ITs completely unlike science or number subjects, whereby if you study enough and LEARN EVERYTHING, you can guarentee that you will succeed. I did bio and chem and they were harder to get higher grades in, but for physics and maths i know a few people who got A*'s, whereas for these its a lot rarer.

Respected subjects include, sciences (psych and geology are debatable), maths, history, geography, english lit, french (any language really)

Which exam board did you choose for History? I only have 2 options CIE or Edexcel
[QUOTE="lulu199;53783841"]Do you have any idea about which of those 3 subject is the easiest and the hardest to get A* or according to marking?[/QUOTE

For me personally, I reckon english Lit would be the easiest to get an a * in, followed by class civ and history equally. With class civ, there is a lot of information to learn and some of it can be very complex, whereas for history your mark almost entirely depends on your structure, if you've included brilliant information but your structure isn't desirable,my teacher has told me that you can't get above a C.
I'd say Maths.
Original post by Compost

I agree, I really regret taking mainly arts subjects

Quick Reply

Latest