The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oreoenthusiast
I don't mind that they're in London but I know that LSE has a reputation of not really being as relaxed or like, social as other universities whereas UCL has a lot more of a social life, parties clubbing etc. Do you have an LSE offer/ have you firmed LSE?

I think the whole "LSE has no social life" is very common misconception, because of the rigour of the courses, and high percentage of international applicants. However, this is COMPLETELY incorrect. The social life is what you make of it, and I have many friends in the their 2nd and 3rd years at LSE who are having the time of their lives. These articles support this as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/07/london-school-of-economics-best-university-nightlife

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article4288008.ece
Is it your firm? Where else did you apply?

Yes it is, I also applied to UCL, Warwick (Insurance), Bristol and Oxford. Received offers from all, bar oxford.
Haven't ever posted on this thread so here goes!

I have 3 offers for L100. I have Durham, Nottingham and Manchester.

Waiting on Edinburgh, (and LSE but I didn't apply for econ there).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrBowcat
I think the whole "LSE has no social life" is very common misconception, because of the rigour of the courses, and high percentage of international applicants. However, this is COMPLETELY incorrect. The social life is what you make of it, and I have many friends in the their 2nd and 3rd years at LSE who are having the time of their lives. These articles support this as well.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/dec/07/london-school-of-economics-best-university-nightlife

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education/article4288008.ece

"Do say: I came for the pills I stayed for the first-class lectures and access to world-leading research programmes!Don’t say: All top jobs still going to piss–poor Oxbridge grads"

That did make me laugh tbh. I think I might have underestimated the amount of fun LSE students have!! Have you started thinking about accommodation? I am absolutely clueless about LSE accommodation!
Original post by Audi
Haven't ever posted on this thread so here goes!

I have 3 offers for L100. I have Durham, Nottingham and Manchester.

Waiting on Edinburgh, (and LSE but I didn't apply for econ there).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh what are you thinking of firming and insuring?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you!
Original post by sr234
Why is that?

Coventry is just grim. I live in the middle of Cov and Leicester and if you think Leicester is bad then Cov takes that to another level. The joke always goes that the best thing Hitler did was bomb Coventry.
I personally don't think Leicester is that bad, not much worse than most northern industrial cities but Cov is still in the 70s and that goes for the people too

Anyway, I've firmed Govt and Econ at LSE. Tbh not sure where I belong but this thread is busier than the Politics one so may as well squat in here
I don't mind that they're in London but I know that LSE has a reputation of not really being as relaxed or like, social as other universities whereas UCL has a lot more of a social life, parties clubbing etc. Do you have an LSE offer/ have you firmed LSE?

Yea I have firmed LSE so I guess I'm a bit bias lol
Original post by Puffin Boffin
Yea I have firmed LSE so I guess I'm a bit bias lol

where else do you have offers from?
Can anyone help me out here!
GCSEs: 11A*s 4A's
AS: 4As (maths biology chem economics)
Predictions: 3A*'s (Economics biology maths)
I'm not really sure how to rate my PS but it's not bad - I have done quite a bit of W.E and lots of extra econ things like master classes and running econ society.
Anyway, I applied for l100 at LSE UCL and Nottingahm, Econ and Management at Oxford and L101 (economics with a year abroad) at UCL.
I have had an offer from Nottingham and rejection from Oxford, post interview.
I applied in October and am still waiting from LSE and ucl (today is the 6th week of a supposed 4 week email from LSE).
In whats looking likely of a rejection from both school do people think I should take Nottingham or reapply? I really like Nottingham but I just feel that I could go to somewhere better and I am not in any way shape or form saying this in a arrogant way or looking to cause offence to anyone, I'm just saying what I feel is the case. I know Nottingham is fairly strong in economics, but when it comes to overall university rankings, it falls short a bit. Also, I want to be in London so so so bad but I was thinking I could do a masters and/or just live in London? Plus going to Nottingham wouldbe cheaper for my parents.
Would honestly be gutted if I got rejected from the two, especially UCL as that year abroad course has always been my dream, but it's looking like I need a plan if that does occur.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read/reply tot this
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tomixox
Predictions: 3A*'s (Chen biology maths)
I'm not really sure how to rate my PS but it's not bad - I have done quite a bit of W.E and lots of extra econ things like master classes and running econ society.
Anyway, I applied for l100 at LSE UCL and Nottingahm, Econ and Management at Oxford and L101 (economics with a year abroad) at UCL.
I applied in October and am still waiting from LSE and ucl (today is the 6th week of a supposed 4 week email from LSE).
In whats looking likely of a rejection from both school do people think I should take Nottingham or reapply? I really like Nottingham but I just feel that I could go to somewhere better and I am not in any way shape or form saying this in a arrogant way or looking to cause offence to anyone, I'm just saying what I feel is the case. I know Nottingham is fairly strong in economics, but when it comes to overall university rankings, it falls short a bit. Also, I want to be in London so so so bad but I was thinking I could do a masters and/or just live in London? Plus going to Nottingham wouldbe cheaper for my parents.
Would honestly be gutted if I got rejected from the two, especially UCL as that year abroad course has always been my dream, but it's looking like I need a plan if that does occur.

If you do well in your A2s and get 1A* or above, I think you should reapply. Purely by looking at your GCSEs/AS you look like you deserve more than Nottingham. Nottingham is a good uni, but I personally believe that it is miles behind the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick.

Maybe in your gap year you could self teach AS Further Maths. It will help your application a lot.

Good luck :wink:
Reply 3031
Original post by tomixox

Did you drop Economics at A2? Your grades are really strong so I'm quite surprised UCL haven't contacted you, I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped Economics at A2? In your case, I'd probably reapply but I'd recommend learning A2 Economics in your gap year and having a good reason as to why you dropped it :redface: Try to be optimistic, you still have a shot with LSE and UCL :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr-96
Did you drop Economics at A2? Your grades are really strong so I'm quite surprised UCL haven't contacted you, I think it may be due to the fact that you dropped Economics at A2? In your case, I'd probably reapply but I'd recommend learning A2 Economics in your gap year and having a good reason as to why you dropped it :redface: Try to be optimistic, you still have a shot with LSE and UCL :smile:

Sorry I made a mistake - I dropped chemistry at A2 not Economics haha! Yeah I probably should try stay hopeful! Thanks a lot x
Original post by Revision Notes
If you do well in your A2s and get 1A* or above, I think you should reapply. Purely by looking at your GCSEs/AS you look like you deserve more than Nottingham. Nottingham is a good uni, but I personally believe that it is miles behind the likes of Oxbridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick.

Maybe in your gap year you could self teach AS Further Maths. It will help your application a lot.

Good luck :wink:

Yeah, I do have some regret not doing AS FM but I honestly didnt know how I'd take it. Like, I'm pretty good at maths, but not THAT good at maths hahaha
Reply 3034
Original post by tomixox
Sorry I made a mistake - I dropped chemistry at A2 not Economics haha! Yeah I probably should try stay hopeful! Thanks a lot x

Oh thank god, it would've been disastrous had you dropped Economics!:tongue:
Honestly, I went to the first Economics open day at UCL and it felt like they literally picked the people with the best grades to attend as I was talking to quite a few others. So It looks like they do place a lot of weighting on your grades so I see no reason why they would reject you. Maybe because you've applied for both courses they're taking a bit longer.:smile:
Original post by tomixox
Yeah, I do have some regret not doing AS FM but I honestly didnt know how I'd take it. Like, I'm pretty good at maths, but not THAT good at maths hahaha

Btw, congratulations on getting an interview at Oxford for E&M. Only ~30% get an interview so take comfort in that...

Couple of my friends got rejected pre-interview but have got offers at Warwick/UCL/LSE. Maybe you'll get an offer from your dream uni soon.
Original post by tomixox

l101 takes longer for UCL to reply apparently. Your stats are way better than mine and I got the UCL open day thingy as well (applied in early December) so you will definitely get one :smile:
Original post by tomixox

I think the reason UCL still haven't responded back to you, is because you've applied to both L100 and L101, and they may be deciding which you're more suitable for; since they'd only give one offer as it's run by the same department. And as I'm sure you're aware, offers for L101 come out a lot later than L100 (usually February - March), so it's still worth being hopeful for that.

Otherwise, I don't see why you wouldn't have gotten UCL by now given your grades. With LSE there's the whole lack of FM issue, and it's hard to predict your PS not having seen it, but you never know.
Reply 3038
Still waiting on warwick, does anyone know if most of the offers have been given out already/why they're taking so long? It's my top choice after Nottingham.
where else do you have offers from?

I put Durham as my insurance, got rejected from Cambridge after interveiw and withdrew my application from Warwick and St. Andrews because they were taking too long.

Where else did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending