The Student Room Group

Higher Level English Literature or Standard Level English Literature

How hard is each one and which one is better to pick?
Reply 1
Hello there!

It really depends. If you're a stupendous student who's got the flair for English than the Higher Level course is the one for you. If you're fairly decent and aren't the best at analysing and writing expository essays and things of that nature; I highly recommend the standard level course.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects are you currently taking? Or the ones you plan to take?
(edited 9 years ago)
i agree...it really depends on your other subjects...if you're doing HL Eng Lit, what subject would you be dropping to SL? (and vice versa)
Reply 3
Original post by Medukal
Hello there!

It really depends. If you're a stupendous student who's got the flair for English then the High Level course is the one for you. If you're fairly decent and aren't the best at analysing and writing expository essays and things of that nature; I highly recommend the standard level course.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects are you currently taking? Or the ones you plan to take?

I'll start IB next year

HL English option:

HL English Literature, Computer Science and Business Studies
SL Maths standard, Ab Initio Spanish and Sport, Exercise& HealthScience

Sl English Option:
HL Computer Science, Business Studies and either Economics, Psychology or Global Politics
SL English Literature, Maths standard and Ab Initio Spanish

Please help me decide, which option is better? Also, Economics or Psychology or Global Politics at higher if I chose option B?

https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/KELSI/Curriculum%20and%20pupil%20learning/Skills%20and%20employability/Option%20Blocks%202014-2015/Option%20Blocks%20-%20Dartford%20Grammar%20School.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by Mahel
I'll start IB next year

HL English option:

HL English Literature, Computer Science and Business Studies
SL Maths standard, Ab Initio Spanish and Sport, Exercise& HealthScience

Sl English Option:
HL Computer Science, Business Studies and either Economics, Psychology or Global Politics
SL English Literature, Maths standard and Ab Initio Spanish

Please help me decide, which option is better? Also, Economics or Psychology or Global Politics at higher if I chose option B?

https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/KELSI/Curriculum%20and%20pupil%20learning/Skills%20and%20employability/Option%20Blocks%202014-2015/Option%20Blocks%20-%20Dartford%20Grammar%20School.pdf

Personally, Option B is great and it's subjects are much more esteemed by universities all around the globe as opposed to Option A. For your choices, I would recommend Economics over Business Studies (Without a doubt in mind). For your second pick, I have chosen to take Psychology myself at a HL (Heard many great things about it). On the other hand, Global Politics at a HL seems outstanding as well; this is merely because i'm interested in essay writing (A skill which is intrinsic if you plan on taking either Psychology or Global Politics; be it at HL or SL). All in all, for your first pick, I recommend Economics, however for your second pick, It all comes down to you and what you plan to study at uni; I recommend you take on Psychology if you were to study something related to Medicine at uni and Global Politics if your aspired occupation is more lenient towards the interactive and communicative side of things such as Law and maybe even Journalism.

Wish you all the best!
Reply 5
Original post by Medukal
Personally, Option B is great and it's subjects are much more esteemed by universities all around the globe as opposed to Option A. For your choices, I would recommend Economics over Business Studies (Without a doubt in mind). For your second pick, I have chosen to take Psychology myself at a HL (Heard many great things about it). On the other hand, Global Politics at a HL seems outstanding as well; this is merely because i'm interested in essay writing (A skill which is intrinsic if you plan on taking either Psychology or Global Politics; be it at HL or SL). All in all, for your first pick, I recommend Economics, however for your second pick, It all comes down to you and what you plan to study at uni; I recommend you take on Psychology if you were to study something related to Medicine at uni and Global Politics if your aspired occupation is more lenient towards the interactive and communicative side of things such as Law and maybe even Journalism.

Wish you all the best!

I want to do Computer Science at University so it doesn't matter which of the three subjects I pick. I don't mind essay writing as long as it isn't essay writing for an actual exam like the history GCSE is. Are all three subjects exam essay based?
Reply 6
Original post by Mahel
I want to do Computer Science at University so it doesn't matter which of the three subjects I pick. I don't mind essay writing as long as it isn't essay writing for an actual exam like the history GCSE is. Are all three subjects exam essay based?

As far as i'm concerned, Economics doesn't require any writing, Psychology does require some writing as it's all about analysis and whatnot. However, Global Politics is full of essay writing, the tests could also be bane of your existence if you hate essay writing.
Reply 7
Original post by Medukal
As far as i'm concerned, Economics doesn't require any writing, Psychology does require some writing as it's all about analysis and whatnot. However, Global Politics is full of essay writing, the tests could also be bane of your existence if you hate essay writing.

What if I did Economics, Business Studies and Computer Science at higher with Maths, English and Ab Initio Spanish at standard?
Reply 8
Original post by Mahel
What if I did Economics, Business Studies and Computer Science at higher with Maths, English and Ab Initio Spanish at standard?

As mentioned earlier, the choice is yours, which subject(s) do you think you could score the highest in? That's your pick.
Reply 9
Original post by Medukal
As mentioned earlier, the choice is yours, which subject(s) do you think you could score the highest in? That's your pick.

Well I'm a B at English Language and D at English Literature right now so I think it would be the best option
Reply 10
Original post by Mahel
Well I'm a B at English Language and D at English Literature right now so I think it would be the best option

Oh, SL is definitely the way forward, I got an A* and still have to work extra hard to scores 7s on my SL tests.
Original post by Medukal

I am currently in my second year of IB and the Economics exams are mainly essay based and require a lot of writing. Psychology is entirely essays too.

I currently take HL Language and Literature English, every single person in my school does HL (24 people) bar one who's first language isn't English. Honestly it's not much extra work compared to the other HLs, and I don't find it hard at all, however English has always been one of my stronger subjects.

The essays for HL English are only your final exams (bar one IA) - this is the same for economics and pyschology. English requires orals, commentaries and creatives. Check out the syllabuses online to help make your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by elisemay
I am currently in my second year of IB and the Economics exams are mainly essay based and require a lot of writing. Psychology is entirely essays too.

I currently take HL Language and Literature English, every single person in my school does HL (24 people) bar one who's first language isn't English. Honestly it's not much extra work compared to the other HLs, and I don't find it hard at all, however English has always been one of my stronger subjects.

The essays for HL English are only your final exams (bar one IA) - this is the same for economics and pyschology. English requires orals, commentaries and creatives. Check out the syllabuses online to help make your decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Creatives" as in creative writing? Stories and whatnot? Last time I checked, Language and Literature is more about analysis and things of that nature; may you please elaborate? Thanks!
Reply 13
Original post by Medukal
"Creatives" as in creative writing? Stories and whatnot? Last time I checked, Language and Literature is more about analysis and things of that nature; may you please elaborate? Thanks!

The written tasks that L&L students do are usually creative pieces. Not exactly story-writing but I've seen people do journals, blogs, speeches etc.
Original post by Medukal

We are required to do 4 written tasks; 2 of which are submitted to the IB for marking. One of the two must be an essay based on either language or literature. For the subject your essay is not based on you must submit a creative for it.

We have done 3 creatives - for the language component, the purpose is that you understand language in a cultural context and mass communication hence you are able to produce a piece to mimic what you have learnt. I did a newspaper article and a blog post for those two creatives.
For the literature creative however you need more imagination - rewriting a scene from a book but you could also write something like an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
We are required to do 4 written tasks; 2 of which are submitted to the IB for marking. One of the two must be an essay based on either language or literature. For the subject your essay is not based on you must submit a creative for it.

We have done 3 creatives - for the language component, the purpose is that you understand language in a cultural context and mass communication hence you are able to produce a piece to mimic what you have learnt. I did a newspaper article and a blog post for those two creatives.
For the literature creative however you need more imagination - rewriting a scene from a book but you could also write something like an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, that's what you meant! I have finished with my externally moderated English IA and it's a feature article about the vilification of Arabs by the Western media and it's correlated with cultural context and mass communication (mentioned throughout the course of my rationale). I've got it marked by two teachers several times and received feedback until i've perfected it in order to achieve a 7.

However, i've been told that most examiners are Westerners (obviously); do you believe they could possibly take offence as I surreptitiously deemed the West as hypocrites? Which could possibly drop my grade as they play a role when it comes to giving me my grade.

Should I write another one? :s-smilie:
Original post by Medukal
Oh, that's what you meant! I have finished with my externally moderated English IA and it's a feature article about the vilification of Arabs by the Western media and it's correlated with cultural context and mass communication (mentioned throughout the course of my rationale). I've got it marked by two teachers several times and received feedback until i've perfected it in order to achieve a 7.

However, i've been told that most examiners are Westerners (obviously); do you believe they could possibly take offence as I surreptitiously deemed the West as hypocrites? Which could possibly drop my grade as they play a role when it comes to giving me my grade.

Should I write another one? :s-smilie:

no you shouldn't write another one. This is because firstly, depending on how many people take IB at your school, yours is not guaranteed to be sent off to be externally moderated. Secondly with the taking offense - the purpose of these types of assessments is to accurately mimic these things and if you have explained it in your rationale - this will be exactly what the examiners are looking for as it is something that would be found in the real life media. For mine I also did a strongly biased article - and the teacher loved it because of its real ness. You've already said it would get you a 7 - definitely keep it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
no you shouldn't write another one. This is because firstly, depending on how many people take IB at your school, yours is not guaranteed to be sent off to be externally moderated. Secondly with the taking offense - the purpose of these types of assessments is to accurately mimic these things and if you have explained it in your rationale - this will be exactly what the examiners are looking for as it is something that would be found in the real life media. For mine I also did a strongly biased article - and the teacher loved it because of its real ness. You've already said it would get you a 7 - definitely keep it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending