The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Hi buddies on the student room

So I have been rejected by Oxford for Economics after being interviewed (came so close in the ranking noooooooo)
and I have two offers which I am considering- L100 (Economics) at either Nottingham or Bristol University - both require A*AA.

I rate them based on
•Quality of course (variety, choice Etc)
•Career prospects (consultancies, banking etc)
•Student Life - clubs&societities + night life/social scene

Which of these two should I choose?

GCSEs- 8A* 2A
AS - 4As in Maths, Econ, History, English Lit
Predicted- 2A* 1A

(Maybe I should have applied to UCL or Warwick, oops #noregrets)

Thanks everyone and hope you've had a sick half term!

Matt
Original post by MattEconomics

So I have been rejected by Oxford for Economics after being interviewed (came so close in the ranking noooooooo)
and I have two offers which I am considering- L100 (Economics) at either Nottingham or Bristol University - both require A*AA.

I rate them based on

GCSEs- 8A* 2A
Predicted- 2A* 1A

Matt

Don't know about the courses, but you can probably look that up in the course prospectuses.

As for careers in IB/consultancy I'd say notts has a better reputation for economics and connections with firms

Student life like nightlife is probably better in notts as well, I don't think Bristol is that happening tbh.

Just my opinions, may be wrong, take all advice from tsr with a pinch of salt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MattEconomics

I rate them based on

GCSEs- 8A* 2A
Predicted- 2A* 1A

Matt

Notts arguably has a better reputation on the whole with economics but the difference is quite miniscule. I'd say come to Notts this autumn so we can hang out! (I'm a CompSci firmer btw) :cool:

Check this out, LinkedIn did a ranking of how well universities place into banking (actual front office banking) and this was the result: https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-category-link-m

Notts has a pretty sweet Finance society - there's over 1200 members!! They also have awesome links with banks that sponsor them and arrange regular talks/visits to companies. There are tons of other societies to choose from as well. In terms of nightlife, you won't be disappointed - there's a massive variety.

Campus is also beauts. Choose Notts! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Puffin Boffin
I put Durham as my insurance, got rejected from Cambridge after interveiw and withdrew my application from Warwick and St. Andrews because they were taking too long.

Where else did you apply?

I was rejected from Cambridge after interview too :L, apart from LSE, UCL and Cambridge I applied to Birmingham and Sheffield.
St Andrews or Nottingham for Economics???
Original post by liamc1997
St Andrews or Nottingham for Economics???

I'd say notts, st Andrews is a bit far from London and all the action imo
Original post by NinjaPandaa
I'd say notts, st Andrews is a bit far from London and all the action imo

But Nottingham is a good 2 hour drive from London; why does that give it an advantage over St Andrews because it's closer?
OK waiting on an offer from UCL economics... I applied back in October...

I have an offer from Nottingham Economics (AAA)
Also have offers from Bath and Warwick (both Accounting and Finance - AAA)

Any advice what to firm / Insure?

I am thinking

Firm UCL Insure Warwick - or - Firm Warwick insure Bath (Bath is year in industry)

Original post by liamc1997
But Nottingham is a good 2 hour drive from London; why does that give it an advantage over St Andrews because it's closer?

St Andrews is in the middle of nowhere and notts is quite a big city
Also I'm pretty sure it does better in rankings in general
Reply 3049
Original post by tomixox
Can anyone help me out here!
GCSEs: 11A*s 4A's
AS: 4As (maths biology chem economics)
Predictions: 3A*'s (Economics biology maths)
I'm not really sure how to rate my PS but it's not bad - I have done quite a bit of W.E and lots of extra econ things like master classes and running econ society.
Anyway, I applied for l100 at LSE UCL and Nottingahm, Econ and Management at Oxford and L101 (economics with a year abroad) at UCL.
I have had an offer from Nottingham and rejection from Oxford, post interview.
I applied in October and am still waiting from LSE and ucl (today is the 6th week of a supposed 4 week email from LSE).
In whats looking likely of a rejection from both school do people think I should take Nottingham or reapply? I really like Nottingham but I just feel that I could go to somewhere better and I am not in any way shape or form saying this in a arrogant way or looking to cause offence to anyone, I'm just saying what I feel is the case. I know Nottingham is fairly strong in economics, but when it comes to overall university rankings, it falls short a bit. Also, I want to be in London so so so bad but I was thinking I could do a masters and/or just live in London? Plus going to Nottingham wouldbe cheaper for my parents.
Would honestly be gutted if I got rejected from the two, especially UCL as that year abroad course has always been my dream, but it's looking like I need a plan if that does occur.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read/reply tot this

I'm pretty much in the same boat mate; smashed GCSEs, got the same predictions as you and got an offer from Notts but still waiting on UCL. Tbh if you feel like you can do better than Notts (which is a great uni) then it's definitely worth taking a gap year. If you reapply with A*s in hand then you'd defo be a very strong candidate, plus you wouldn't then have to think 'what if I did reapply and get into LSE?' in future. Personally, if I don't get a UCL offer then I'm gonna take a gap year. Might take one even if I do get an offer cos I want to apply to Oxbridge as a stronger candidate lol
How do people rate Economics at Birmingham ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard from LSE for straight Econ. Back in early January they told me 4 weeks and yet haven't heard from them.

Applied around 10 Oct. Rejected from Cambridge for Land Economy. Offers from Notts and Durham. Haven't got replies from LSE and Warwick.

Anyone know of any good gap year schemes for finance/ IB/ professional services?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aly418

Anyone know of any good gap year schemes for finance/ IB/ professional services?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Sixth Form had a talk given to us by Accenture about their Horizons scheme. Seemed really good. If you get in and you're good, they pay towards your uni costs and stuff.

Have you had a look at the Big 4?
Original post by NikolaT
My Sixth Form had a talk given to us by Accenture about their Horizons scheme. Seemed really good. If you get in and you're good, they pay towards your uni costs and stuff.

Have you had a look at the Big 4?

Thanks. I'm applying for the Deloitte scholar scheme and went to an EY insight event the other day but alas they don't do gap year schemes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3054
Original post by Aly418
Thanks. I'm applying for the Deloitte scholar scheme and went to an EY insight event the other day but alas they don't do gap year schemes :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Deloitte scholar scheme is hard to get into but it'll defo look good on your PS or CV. I got to the group interview stage and it was solid cos a lot of the other candidates there were your stereotypical posh boarding school educated, pony riding kids who'd been thoroughly prepared for the group interview. IBM also have a gap year scheme but I'm pretty sure their deadline has passed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone waiting to hear from economics at edinburgh?
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Ooh what are you thinking of firming and insuring?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not entirely sure, but durham will probably feature and I have to wait to hear back from my others but I'm really not sure aha
Original post by Mollypeta
Anyone waiting to hear from economics at edinburgh?

meee, i applied in november!!
Reply 3058
I've got an offer from QMUL, but have been rejected from LSE and am still waiting on UCL, and it looks increasingly likely that I will get rejected from there too. I have been predicted A*A*A- do you think it would be worth taking a gap year if I do get rejected from UCL- if so what would you recommend doing through the year- would doing nothing really worthwhile count against me when I reapplied?
Original post by JPD96
I've got an offer from QMUL, but have been rejected from LSE and am still waiting on UCL, and it looks increasingly likely that I will get rejected from there too. I have been predicted A*A*A- do you think it would be worth taking a gap year if I do get rejected from UCL- if so what would you recommend doing through the year- would doing nothing really worthwhile count against me when I reapplied?

No not really, as long as you had strong A2 grades.
What other unis have you applied to - don't give up yet, I'm fairly sure UCL have quite a few more offers to give out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending